The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GTW's '73 GT Wagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2014 at 2:11PM
not sure I've ever heard of a C4 being anything other than alloy case?

wagons came with C4's?

point is you really want to nail down what trans the car is set up for or you could be in a world of searching for shifter linkage parts, or end up with a trans case that doesn't have the mount bosses for the cable bracket on it

is the tag in the passenger side door jam that ID's the trans?

also, consider the speedo tooth count on the output shaft or you may end up with a situation where you can't calibrate the speedo. some trans's have the drive gear teeth machined into the shaft, some have interchangeable plastic gears. not all combos can be corrected by changing the driven gear

Edited by Rockatansky - 26-March-2014 at 2:17PM
72 GT Ute

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2014 at 2:26PM
Engine block is in the car, trans is not. Owned since 1977, untouched and last tagged over 30 years ago. Yes, the data sticker says it's a C4, as does the Marti Report. The other C4 trans I have came out of a '70 Maverick, but is hooked up to a 1965 200 I6.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2014 at 1:28PM
Taped up my broken window since the cover comes off every time I visit the car.
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2014 at 3:29PM
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2014 at 4:09PM
my kinda progress...

thinkin about that C4, there's different drums that hold more/less clutches, your 6-pop trans from a small car would have the smallest least clutches possible but it's easily swapped out for the V8 drum

72 GT Ute

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 3:56AM
Just picked up a 302/C4 for $100. Photos to come.
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 4:21AM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 4:57AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Clap

Thanks!

This engine/transmission was on Craigslist for a while. First he was at like $350, then he went down to $175, and he would put it in storage if he had to go any lower. When we got there he had in fact put it in his shed (which also contained some very cool old dirt track cars), but we were able to talk him down to $100 and take it all home. There was also an old Boss 302 Mustang down the street that we checked out, along with other older Mustangs. Probably will go back.

302/C4 by FordTorino73, on Flickr
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 5:39AM
i think you should try and get that cream colored wagon you posted from CL put your 73 header and bumper on it if you wanted to keep it like the 73 use all the best parts and part out any good left over parts to help offset the purchase price a little.
let me know if you want to get that rear side glass from that 73 by me, carl could haul it back for you since he'll be coming here in the future to haul parts Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 6:38AM

i think you should try and get that cream colored wagon you posted from CL put your 73 header and bumper on it if you wanted to keep it like the 73 use all the best parts and part out any good left over parts to help offset the purchase price a little.
let me know if you want to get that rear side glass from that 73 by me, carl could haul it back for you since he'll be coming here in the future to haul parts Wink

I'd love to have that wagon, but only for parts. I couldn't part out my '73, since it has 38 years of history with us. Only 35,000 miles too. That would be a good car for Joe or Jeff to pick up. 

I'll definitely keep that other '73 in mind...you're talking about the brown one you got your bumper off of, right?
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 7:26AM
Truck engine/trans comb? Looks like it from the yoke and mounts.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 7:50AM
Originally posted by GTW GTW wrote:

I'd love to have that wagon, but only for parts. I couldn't part out my '73, since it has 38 years of history with us. Only 35,000 miles too. That would be a good car for Joe or Jeff to pick up. 

I'll definitely keep that other '73 in mind...you're talking about the brown one you got your bumper off of, right?
yes the brown one (when i first posted pics of it your dad mentioned about maybe getting that window if you guys couldn't find one locally)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 11:15AM

Originally posted by GTW GTW wrote:

yes the brown one (when i first posted pics of it your dad mentioned about maybe getting that window if you guys couldn't find one locally)

How many 72-79 cars are in that yard? I know of that '73 wagon and the 75 you're thinking of cutting the roof off of for Scott. 
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2015 at 2:51AM
Great find!

First thing I noticed is it is an older 302 (GOOD thing) and then the yoke setup. Same thing I have sitting in my garage I asked a couple of weeks ago about. Very cool!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2015 at 3:06AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Great find!

First thing I noticed is it is an older 302 (GOOD thing) and then the yoke setup. Same thing I have sitting in my garage I asked a couple of weeks ago about. Very cool!

Thanks, Joe. Hopefully the wagon's driveshaft goes in no problem.
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 6:40AM
Recovered pieces from the original transmission. Might end up cutting off the back of the truck transmission or pulling the drivetrain out of the Maverick and using the trans from it if it's the same. 
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2015 at 2:34PM
Pinch discovered today
torino by FordTorino73, on Flickr

Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2015 at 4:23PM
clean all that crap out of there, that doesn't help it at all! i see some old 70's christmas lightsLOL clean it out real good and you might try brushing on some rust-mort, i may help slow the progression of rust till you can fix it
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2015 at 7:46AM

clean all that crap out of there, that doesn't help it at all! i see some old 70's christmas lightsLOL clean it out real good and you might try brushing on some rust-mort, i may help slow the progression of rust till you can fix it

Yesterday, I found a 3rd blue Christmas light and bagged them all up, but I also found more rust. My original goal was to put the interior back together (took it apart for no real reason and I'm glad I stopped when I did). After I got the horn pad back on (tough to do when you forget the keys - whether it's original set 1 or 2!), I went to put the sunvisors back in but I couldn't line up the screw holes with the holes in the headliner. Only could get the center clip back in. 

I then decided that it'd be good to take an inventory check of all the parts, so I used our '90 Olds as a table to take pictures of them. Was wondering where the intake was and had no idea that it was still attached to the carb:
work by FordTorino73, on Flickr

Some of you may remember a thread I made about yellowish gold piece of carpet that's stuck to the back of my middle seat. I was wondering if it was stock or not, which it isn't. I thought that was the only piece, but I was wrong. I went to take out the heads and they were stuck to two more pieces of carpet covering the rear storage tray. These pieces of carpet got damp (probably because of the car being outside in the rain and snow with a broken window) and caused rust holes in the rear tray. This was after I removed the larger piece:

I then was able to get everything else that was piled in the back out:

Some of it I laid up here on top of the dry shag...

Not a very pleasing discovery:

Then I neatly put everything back in after lowering the 3rd seat, which is pristine:

Until I can bring a garbage bag down and throw this junk away:

Also learned from Alex that my big case pan fill truck C4 transmission should fit right in, and all I'll have to do is use my old oil pan and pickup tube on my truck 302, which is great. 
pano by FordTorino73, on Flickr
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2016 at 9:12AM
Griffin
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic