The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paj1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headers
    Posted: 20-September-2017 at 6:45AM
I just had the engine rebuilt in my 1972 Gran Torino Sport and I would like to put headers and a 2.5 in exhaust on it to take advantage of the RHS heads that are on it now.  Has anyone found full length headers that will fit a 1972-3 Torino with a 351W and C6?  There are a lot of choices out there if you have a C4 trans, but I haven't been able to find any that will work with the bigger C6.
My Toy List:
1972.5 Gran Torino Sport
2001 Mustang Cobra Vert
2001 Lightning
2013 Jeep Wrangler
formaltop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formaltop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2017 at 6:48AM
Hi. I don't post here much but I happened to see this and thought that I would throw in what I did. First I have a 72 with a factory 351w and a c6 and have had two sets of headman headers in the car. The first set rusted out so I purchased the elites with the coating 10 years ago. I believe they are listed for a c4 fit but work just fine with a c6. The only thing I had issues with on both sets was the collector flange rubbing the transmission pan rail. I put an exhaust hanger on both sides using factory holes in the transmission crossmember to pull the flanges away and after a few heat cycles I pulled those hangers off with no more rubbing.
paj1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paj1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2017 at 5:52AM
Thanks for the information.  I am actually running a set of Hedman 1 5/8 headers now which is probably what you have?  I really need to find 1 3/4 in to uncork things (I am running RHS heads on the engine and the current headers and 2 1/4 in exhaust are choking it to death.  I had contacted Hedman and they said they didn't have anything in that diameter that would work with the C6. 
My Toy List:
1972.5 Gran Torino Sport
2001 Mustang Cobra Vert
2001 Lightning
2013 Jeep Wrangler
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2017 at 12:47PM
Looks like FLOWTECH has the header you need.

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/headers_and_exhaust_manifolds/all_headers/parts/12118FLT

I used this test article to design my exhaust system and it sliced almost a full second off my 1/4 mile time.

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 01-October-2017 at 12:48PM
 Post Reply Post Reply