The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater-core replacement problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midd Vhyrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater-core replacement problem
    Posted: 13-March-2013 at 11:36AM
My Torino has a leaking heater-core, so I dived in the replace it. I didn't get far; the top of the dashboard won't come out, despite the fact that I followed my 1972 Ford car shop manual exactly. 
Does anyone have any experience on removing the dash or heater-core replacement? Any advise or tips?
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2013 at 1:15PM
the top of the dash doesnt have to come out. Is it an A/C car or non A/C?
Mike
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2013 at 2:54PM
it does make it a lot easier to see what's goin on behind there though

the clips that hold the edge near the windshield can be VERY tough to get released, if you're completely sure you have all the screws out of it including the 1 on each side, all you have to do is PULL. it might take one heck of a good jerk to get it off those clips, FYI don't try to open them up to make them easier next time, they break faster than you can say Mary Poppins
72 GT Ute

mugzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mugzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2013 at 4:52PM
I found this.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1973-ford-torino-heater-core-replacement

I have an a.c. car and am curious as to your outcome.

Where are all the screws. I usually tear a car apart at the junkyard before I go into mine.

You can call me Mike or you can call me Mug
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 12:51AM
There are screws on each side of the dash pad (facing each door, L + R) and then a number along the bottom edge. I think that if you can lift the front of the dash pad up from side to side, you are just hung up on the windshield clips and just need to give a good tug.  If you can't lift the front of the pad up, you missed a screw.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 7:49AM
dont forget the short screw that goes thru the top, on the passenger side,  of the metal portion.  Nothing is coming out if you forget this one.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply