The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Much Should I Pay For 2 1972 GTS?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Much Should I Pay For 2 1972 GTS?
    Posted: 06-February-2012 at 12:02PM
So I Found Two 1972 GTS For Sale As A Package Deal for $4,000
1. 1972 GTS All Original (N-Code) 429, Original black paint,Complete but it
needs lots of body work and grill, the inside is in ruff shape too. Magnum 500 Are Gone
2. 1972 GTS (Q-Code) Missing Motor and Trans,Original Bright Red paint, Body is complete but missing the front bumper,headlights,grill. body is in great shape no rust. The inside was all taken apart no seats dash most is gone. Not A Laser Stripe Car. Magnums 500 Are Gone Too.
So My Question Is This A Good Price?
It's Hard To Find Good Deals In CA And Haven't Found 72 GTS 4-Speed Anywhere.
What Do You Guy Think?

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 12:05PM
Offer 3,500 and see if they'll take it.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 3:05PM

If they are Californian (no rust or minimal) pull out three& a half cash, and prey it happens.

I recon anything with minimal rust is worth the dimes.

Any hint on tracking the original motor for the Q code? Would be worth some more.

1973 Q code sports roof
SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 9:36PM
The Q-code is rust free and has no dents or dings it's in great shape,The N-code has minimal rust some damage on the front fenders and I think one quarter panel needs to be changed(hit not cancer).
This guy is hard to bargin with but I'll give it a try lol
I don't think he has a clue about the (cj) but if I found a 72 cj would it be worth as much?
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 9:59PM
With a year correct CJ maybe. Numbers matching to me means a lot but not so much to other people.
One option is to part one out and pay for the other. Just make sure your wife is good about it thou lol
Two cars and all that room taken up??????????????
Still sounds like a deal to me.   
1973 Q code sports roof
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 10:02PM
Disclaimer -- Might pay to have some other people chime in for other opinions as I don't know the US market well enough = Don't hold me responsible lol  
1973 Q code sports roof
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 10:14PM
forget the CJ the N code is worth twice that.429 N codes are more rare which means more value.
If you can afford it get them guik.Offer $3500 cash but have the $4K just in case.
take what you need off the Q code to fix the N code cause like I said it is the more rare of the 2 as more Q code 351CJ cars were produced then the N code 429.You can probably find parts later to build the Q or part out what is left.They both have titles,Correct???

If no titles each car is worth about $100-1200 depending on what all is left of each car
but with the titles the cars are worth about $1500-2000 each especially if they are rust free California cars as those are really easy to fix cause the main bodies are usually solid
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 10:40PM
oh and another thing Black is a special order color so that makes that N code even more rare and worth more then the Q code. I paid $1800 for my  72 GTS Q code which originally is  bench seat column shift car.CJ and trans was gone but a 69 429 2v with C6 in it's place had no idea if it ran as  battery seller had would not turn it over, just licked.
Hood underneath rotted out so was junk. right quarter dented plus rotted out,right rocker damaged,front valance and bumper bent in,rear bumper dented and valance all beat up.House carpet and some low back bucket seats tossed in and headliner falling down in back.Sport door panels all chalky and flaking at top car in all in black primer including bumpers and dirty

The good
Fenders where solid no rot,doors were straight just few dings and the usual lower corner rot
The floors and trunk were solid,left quarter was pretty solid and straight roof was good
and non vinyl car. Non air with factory Sport guage dash,but dash pad toast.
All in all a pretty solid body to start with and have bought mot of the replacement parts already.
Asking price was $2600 and after several offers starting at $1500 we settled on $1800
but I still had no idea if it ran but motor turned by hand and I had a 74  351 C 2V at home from my old 73 Torino that I changed to 4 bbl intake and bigger cam so I had a back up engine but would need a trans.
 I seen it had potential plus i'm a Autobody Tech with many years of restoration experience
so all labor is free done by me

Really in the end it's what it is worth to you to own one of these cars
Look at the first page of this thread for photo's of my car when i first saw it

hope this helps

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 06-February-2012 at 10:50PM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 10:59PM
even if you had to replace the quarter skins with Tabco half quarters I would build the N code black car with what ever I needed off the Q code, i.e.- door,fenders,hood,trim,interior parts or what ever is missing. 
If you have titles for both just that Q code shell on rolling chassis with no doors,nose or interior is worth some bucks if it's a solid rust free shell as someone with a rusted out beater and no title car could buy it.Perfect for a guy like ilyes but too far away for him but rest assure you would have no issues selling that Q code bare shell on chassis with a clean title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2012 at 6:33AM
Thanks lots of good info, I don't think it's right to part out cars, the (cj) the body is in too good of shape. I'm going to put the CJ in my garage and put it back together as I find parts, and the n code in my drive way so I can start working on it right away :).
I'm not married yet Im 22, my parents are spilt up and live 4 houses away from each other so my brother and I take advanage of the 2 drive ways and 2 garages
we have a 1965 mustang Fastback A- code 4 speed Shelby R clone that where currently working on.
                   1966 mustang coupe C-code 289
                    1972 Gran Torino Formal roof Missing Motor and Trans
And I just sold my red 1972 gts 400 s-code bright red I'm sure you guys saw the eBay and craigslist post. So I have room hope I can make the deal I would like to have the N CODE running for the fabolous fords forever show at knottsberry farm.   

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2012 at 6:47AM
yah good luck,hope you can get it as that N code would be bad arse
I like having the 69 429 in my Q code GTS.
keep us informed
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2012 at 3:11PM
All good advice, and YES black is very rare.  Q or N, it's personal taste (you 'N' code guys are all the same,lol).  And I agree with you both cars should be restored as they are both rare, period. It's just a matter of what value you place on it, and how much work you are willing to do/pay to get done, but it sounds like a pretty solid deal to me!  Good luck either way, and let us know what happens!  Ironically, I am writing this to you from SoCal,lmao.  Anaheim.  
So don't move TOO slow or I might swoop in and buy,buy,BUY!  LOL
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2012 at 9:31PM
Lol Chris you think that's Ironic I'm in Anaheim too!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 12:32AM
Ermmwho you calling N code guys Chris???????
My car is a Q code 72 GTS and they are not that rare.Go look at the Marti reports on the production numbers.There were alot.I believe the S code 400's were more rare then the Q codes
My car has a 1969 429 Thunderjet 2v which the N code cars were 72 429 4v not sure if they were even CJ's at that point

my 2v will spank a stock 72 N code GTS.I'm actually glad my car is not a N code as if it was so Rare
I would have to restore it original and not customize it like i'm doing to my Q code car which are not rare,they are more desired because of the 351CJ engines but that motor was long gone before I bought it.Whoever did the swap did a piss poor job and I have to redo it all cause nothing was done right,including the incorrect motor mounts that are welded to the cross member as they didn't find the correct ones like I did to be able to bolt them in.
VorbottenO who turned me onto the car with the craigslsit ad posting has a real N code and Eric's car is sweet,his body was mint rust free.

Soon as I found out that it was not an N code  and had a 69 429 I was happy as a pig eating ssh******************T cause in 69 the motors still had Balls.
In 1972 Ford had a sweet looking GTS muscle car and detuned the engines and made them panzi''s
only way is to rebuild them with performance parts to turn them back to musle cause a stock
72 Gran Torino is gutless compared to the 71 and pior engines.My engine has 10.5:1 compression
bone stock factory putting out 320 hp,what does a 72 N code have for hp??Thumbs Down

Now I can build mine the way I want without worrying about destroying the value.
He buys that N code he better restore it original or it's worth bupkis and even soo
the Gran Torino's will never bring the big bucks like a MOPAR. Unfortunately Top dollar 
is in the low $20K range for our cars.If I was going for resale value i'm sorry but I would have bought a MOPAR all day long as I built many for clients and know what they sold them for.
I love my car and building it to keep it and when I die it will be in my will to go to a family member.
I will never sell it,I will sleep in it homeless before I do.
I had to move out of Florida and move back to NJ and live with family cause times were tuff
and I sold my paint booth and some other stuff but I wouldn't sell my car no matter if it ment living in it.The value to me owning it exceeds what the richest person in the world could ever pay me for it cause Money don't buy happiness and buddy the day she is finished and i'm tooling down the road in a shiney 72 GTS with 429 purring under the hood with close to 500hp
well all I can say is PricelessApprove

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 08-February-2012 at 12:38AM
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 1:31AM
Let's not forget that starting in '72 horsepower ratings were changed from Gross to Net. Granted, actual power was a bit different, but not as great as what the adjusted figures show.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 2:33AM
there still slugs,wanna race

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 3:34AM
Ahh, never challenge a Tennessee guy. Tell you what, lets make it more interesting and fun for everyone around.

I'll run you in my daily driver Titan as it sits right now against your Torino as it sits right now. A grocery getter pickup against a big block sport coupe of the '70's. 1/4 mile run, loser buys dinner for the other.

Sounds like a sure win for the Torino, huh?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 7:00AM
Nope I would lose
the reason being I would overheat and cook my engine as the front of my motor is ripped apart,no water pump or accessories are on it as I was gonna change out the pump to the correct one but want to take off the timing chain cover and strip and polish the aluminum then put a cam and double roller chain while i'm there but may just pluck the motor and o the whole thing.
It only runs to move it cause it is empty except the little bit of coolant left in the block
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 9:54AM
I could be wrong but, unfortunately, even a finely tuned stock Torino wouldn't stand a chance against the Titan.Pinch
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 11:35AM
with the right gearing, it would be up to the task
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 3:56PM
Originally posted by SocalTorino SocalTorino wrote:

Thanks lots of good info, I don't think it's right to part out cars, the (cj) the body is in too good of shape. I'm going to put the CJ in my garage and put it back together as I find parts, and the n code in my drive way so I can start working on it right away :).
I'm not married yet Im 22, my parents are spilt up and live 4 houses away from each other so my brother and I take advanage of the 2 drive ways and 2 garages
we have a 1965 mustang Fastback A- code 4 speed Shelby R clone that where currently working on.
                   1966 mustang coupe C-code 289
                    1972 Gran Torino Formal roof Missing Motor and Trans
And I just sold my red 1972 gts 400 s-code bright red I'm sure you guys saw the eBay and craigslist post. So I have room hope I can make the deal I would like to have the N CODE running for the fabolous fords forever show at knottsberry farm.   

See, I like this guy already. Buy both, and keep both.
If I only had the space to do these things.
...yeah...because I need yet another Torino...wait a minute...YES I DO! WinkLOL
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 9:25PM
LOL You can never have to meny torinos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2012 at 2:14AM
Jeez, I'm living proof of that.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2012 at 6:11AM
Thous with the most toys wins 
1973 Q code sports roof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2012 at 6:52AM
...or pays the most insurance...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2012 at 1:28PM
Originally posted by SocalTorino SocalTorino wrote:

Lol Chris you think that's Ironic I'm in Anaheim too!!

DAYUMMMMM!  Next time I am out in Anaheim, we should hook up!  Flying home @ 6 am tomorrow, so no shot this week, but that would be fun!
Good luck with these!
~Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2012 at 4:41AM
Okay today is the big day I just pick up the N code on a flat bed Will post pictures soon!!

Edited by SocalTorino - 09-March-2012 at 10:41AM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2012 at 5:44AM
OMG!  CONGRATS!!!! Couldn't have went to a better guy (except me)!  LOL
You MUST post pics!!!!!  GREAT BUY!!!!!

~Chris

WAIT~!!!  What about the Q?????

Edited by crispy23c - 09-March-2012 at 5:45AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2012 at 6:34AM
That is great news! Congratulations and eager to see some pics.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 4:13AM
$4000 sounds like a fair enough deal if I was ready like you seem to be I would have already had them. 
michigan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>