The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > How-To Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to rebuild rear sway bar links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to rebuild rear sway bar links
    Posted: 20-October-2015 at 12:24AM

During the disassembly of my rear suspension, one of my sway bar links snapped off at the nut….

After an extensive search, NOS replacements could not be located so I decided to see if I could break it down and rebuild them. The first order of business was to get rid of the broken threaded portion of the link. I placed the link in the vice with the base of the link flush with the side of the jaws and the threaded shaft protruding beyond. Using a cutoff wheel, I trimmed the shaft off flush with the base and punched out the head of the shaft from the link fork….

Leaving me with these three pieces...

I redrilled the hole in the fork base to 3/8” dia, but not completely thru so the square shoulder of the 3/8-16 x 4” long, grade 8 shaker (carriage) bolts I got from Fastenal (p/n 0167156 along with 3/8-16 hex nylon insert lock nuts (p/n 37185) not shown) would force itself thru the remaining material and fit snuggly…..

I also ordered a couple 3/8” id x 3/4” od x 1 1/2" long spacers from McMaster-Carr (p/n 92415A460) to serve as the heavy shank of the shaft which I ground relief notches into to clear the corners of the carriage bolt square shoulders as well as allowing access to the shoulders so they could be tack welded to the link base….

The carriage bolts were installed into the link base, the sleeves slid into position and the three pieces were held tightly together using a washer and nut tightened down on the carriage bolt threads (nylock nut shown for reference)….

The carriage bolt shoulders were tacked to the link base and then the link base was welded continually around the sleeves to complete the link assembly….

The welds were ground, dressed then compared to OEM link….

The assembly was then mocked up to verify against the original assembly….

Before being sandblasted, painted and assembled using Energy Suspension bushing kit (p/n 9-8101G)…..

mounted to frame bracket….

and finally installed back onto the detailed frame….

Hope this proves helpful to others who have suffered the same problem during disassembly of the rear sway bar components.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 20-October-2015 at 2:03AM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2015 at 12:38AM
Joe,
  Nice work and great write-up Thumbs Up!!
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2015 at 2:36AM
well done joe! that's how i was thinking about it when you first inquired about how these could be repaired. and those energy suspension shock bushings fit like they were made just for that specifically, don't they!!! Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 6:10AM
John sent you a pm
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 1:42PM
[QUOTE=TV 2M8O]

Now that's funny. No not really. One of mine looks just like that as of an hour ago. I may use your idea as a last resort. First I'll see if I can find an odd one and if not I might go with the Addco set up.

Just what I needed. More work.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 2:45PM
chuck, i have the addco set up new minus the bar (shipping mistake) make offer!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 3:22PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

[QUOTE=TV 2M8O]

Now that's funny. No not really. One of mine looks just like that as of an hour ago. I may use your idea as a last resort. First I'll see if I can find an odd one and if not I might go with the Addco set up.

Just what I needed. More work.

Chuck, keep in mind an Addco setup uses different links from stock and they won't work with a stock rear bar.  The factory rear bar has the holes for the rear link 90 degrees from the Addco design.  The factory axle mounts work fine with the Addco bar though. 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 31-July-2017 at 3:22PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 4:04PM
My plan is to use the factory swaybar if I can find a factory replacement link. If not I might go with the addco bar up using my axle brackets and the straight links.

I'm really trying to cut down on time consuming projects although I really like those rebuilt links. This car is running now and way over due for me to be driving it. I'm going to try for June but the more I look the more there is to do.

Edited by lynchster - 31-July-2017 at 4:05PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 2:33AM
Joe great job . I was looking at what I had and said that wouldn't be too hard to fab up if you had too .
It would just take a little thought and time .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 2:51AM
you guys have me ready to go soak all the nuts with pb blaster on the rear links before i even think of tryin to take them off. I have 2 sets on cars with the comp suspension and pretty sure the car that has had all its brackets and suspension chromed should have those in pretty good shape. Just have to strip the chrome off to paint. I haven't even crawled under the cars yet to really take a good hard look at these rear bars. Are there bushins where the bars bolt to these brackets?

Edited by MrSmog - 01-August-2017 at 6:29AM
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 3:00AM
yes the bushing is in the end of the bar
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 6:31AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

are those also sourced from energy suspension? I ran a search but couldn't find anything. I ask because I am gonna start to swap some fo the goodies from my 4spd car onto my 302 car, like the instrument cluster and the front and rear sway bars.
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 11:10AM
I've used a bolt and spacer and sway bar bushings at the top in broken end links.
didn't think of welding in a carriage bolt, just put a bolt thru, ran a nut all the way down, put a sleeve on, and assembled like normal. (May have put a nut at the top of the sleeve too, don't remember offhand)
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 11:42AM
I was after the OEM look, so I went the extra mile to replicate it as best as I could........
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 11:54AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

I was after the OEM look, so I went the extra mile to replicate it as best as I could........

Damn fine job of it as well sir.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 11:56AM

The only way that would work for me is if I had an Addco bar.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 2:28PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

are those also sourced from energy suspension? I ran a search but couldn't find anything. I ask because I am gonna start to swap some fo the goodies from my 4spd car onto my 302 car, like the instrument cluster and the front and rear sway bars.
i'll have to look up the energysuspension part #
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 2:29PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

The only way that would work for me is if I had an Addco bar.
yeah i thought of that after i posted it...most of the rest would work if someone needs it
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2017 at 5:26AM
Energy Suspension bushing kit p/n 9-8101G….. That what you need??
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2017 at 12:05PM
I think he means the ones to fit in the bar? My bad i got sidetracked and forgot to look up that part #
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic