The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I think I might be going crazy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think I might be going crazy.
    Posted: 29-August-2009 at 5:07PM

You guys may know I bought an ltd II 4 door for the wife.  Its in pretty good shape with only 53k.  She ended up not liking the car.  So it started out.  I'll thought I'd start driving it as my daily driver.  I figure I gotta clean the interior up a little(it sat in a barn) and do something with the vynil top(torn).  I end up deciding to strip the vynil and weld up the quarter windows so we can do a quickie paint job and maybe the ltd II  sport stripes.  When cleaning the carpet I ended up tearing a section of it.  So I'm looking at putting new carpet in.  I have a set of black seats with blue inserts in the basement.  A friend of mine says he has a black lower dash he'll donate to the cause.  So now since I have black seats and a black lower dash.  I need to buy carpet I'm thinking color change.  I'd like to put his lower dash in, new black carpet and my black seat with the blue inserts.  I'll need to dye my door panels, b pillar trim, rear window/c pillar trim, and dash pad.  I wonder how many people have replaced their lower dash during a color change but dyed the pad.  I think I know where some black armrests and bases are I can get cheap.  So I think I can put black interior in it relatively cheap.  Then instead of white I'm thinking light metallic blue/ with the stripe if I don't run out of money on the project.

Here's what it looked like when I got it
Here's it with the magnum 500s ( looking for some used painted magnum 500s  These are from my wagon.  This car would be fine with painted magnums if I can find them cheap)
Here's the photoshoped version in white.  If I change interior I'd paint it Lt. met. blue.

Here's a picture of the replacement black seats.  The sides and back of the seat is black.  Only the seating surfaces are blue

Am I crazy to want to do this much work to a 77 LTD II 4 door.  I realize the car will still be worth very little, but it'd make a fun DD and I gotta do something with it.

Am I crazy?
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2009 at 10:20PM
Go for it, if you like it, who cares?

I like the color right now to be honest, it looks pretty clean

George
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2009 at 3:47AM

I think all of the 77-79 owners all have a photoshop with the LTD II Sport stripes :). I almost did it on my Cougar.

Not sure how I feel about it on the 4 door. I like it as is.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2009 at 7:27AM
I'd have to say that car would look great done up in black and gold. black interior, black paint, gold Sport striping, Magnum 500s in black and chrome, Marauder tailpipes, and a 347 Stroker backed by a Redneck AOD.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2009 at 11:19AM
Go with it. There is something to be said for having a car and not being able to park it next to another one.

Chuck
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2009 at 12:33PM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

I'd have to say that car would look great done up in black and gold. black interior, black paint, gold Sport striping, Magnum 500s in black and chrome, Marauder tailpipes, and a 347 Stroker backed by a Redneck AOD.

That sounds sweet, but is way way out of my budget.  I'm using what I have.  I want to buy as little as possible.  It'll be my black/blue interior painted light blue and hopefully the sport strip.  After getting it painted I have to drive it for quite awhile before I can do any else to it.  Then I'll be used AOD and dual exhaust.  I'm not sure which first.  Goal is to have a fun EVERYDAY driver(snow, rain,and sleet) that gets about 20mpg. I drive mostly highway.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2009 at 3:12PM

Not ALL of us needed to Photochop our Starsky stripe!  :D

And I have a set of 14 x 7 argent Magnums I know I'm not gonna do anything with...didn't really cross my mind to sell 'em, but...

Pat
'75 460 Gran Torino Sport (14.04 @ 97 MPH)
'91 Crown Vic (18.09 @ 75 MPH)
'89 300 F-150 (18.37 @ 73 MPH)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2009 at 7:41PM
Sharp car - roll with it!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply