The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Idle mixture screws adjustment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Idle mixture screws adjustment.
    Posted: 04-October-2014 at 4:38PM
I am going to be adjusting the idle mixture screws on my friends car soon. His car has an automatic transmission. Recently the parking brake on his car had stopped working, the parking brake cable probably needs to be adjusted or maybe it needs a new cable.

My question is: does the transmission need to be shifted into drive and should i block the wheels with wheel chocks to adjust the idle mixture screws? Or can i just leave the transmission in park and adjust the idle mixture screws that way? 

It would be much easier for me to just leave the transmission in park, since he will not be there to hold his foot on the brake pedal, when i adjust his idle mixture screws.

I have heard that some people recommend that the transmission be shifted into drive with the parking brake on and the wheels chocked, while the idle mixture screws are being adjusted. Does anyone know the reason for this?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2014 at 4:56PM
It's best to do the idle screws while in Park, and adjust the idle as needed after that, in Drive.

The old way I learned to do it was to adjust the idle screws first at idle, and then raise the rpm to 1000 and hunt for the fastest rpm with the idle screws, and richen it from there about a 1/8 to 1/4 turn. That's been decades for me since we/I did that on my 72 GT. I'm sure there are other methods to do just about the same thing.

Set the idle to what it needs to be when in gear, and also see how it idles with the AC compressor running too.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2014 at 4:59PM
Thank You for the answers.
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2014 at 1:46AM
Actually you should a vacuum gauge & achieve the highest setting. In drive is better since that's when you need the best idle.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2014 at 1:49AM
Thank You for the answers.
 Post Reply Post Reply