The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Addco Rear Sway Bar Install 72 GTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: Addco Rear Sway Bar Install 72 GTS
    Posted: 09-July-2009 at 11:34AM
I took some pictures while I was installing my Addco rear sway bar today and I thought I'd share them with you guys.

These are all the parts that are included in the #938 Torino kit.
Bracket loose on the axle housing.
Sway Bar with bushings clipped on using some white grease.
Sway Bar hanging from the axle brackets.

Holes in the frame for the factory sway bar endlink bracket, the Addco bracket bolt goes into the lower hole.  
Addco frame bracket and endlink.

Endlink bolted through the sway bar.

Centre nut & bolt gets tightened up first on axle bracket.
U-bolt nuts are tightened after axle brackets are evenly spaced.
Endlinks are lightly tightened so that the spacer tube can be turned by hand.
Install complete. Here is a front view of the sway bar.
View from the back, I like the way the bar contours with the axle. This is a simple install using only a 1/2", 9/16" deep socket and box end wrench.

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 10-July-2009 at 2:48AM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2009 at 12:28PM
Looks sweet, Chris!
What did it take you, about an hour max?  $150 USD?  Did you road test before and after....AND what do you think?
Sorry for the intense interest, but I am considering getting one as my factory one is missing.
Thanks,
Chris
PS-  Good name LOL
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2009 at 3:09PM
I still have a bunch of wiring and fuel line changes to do so I won't be road testing for a while, hopefully by month end. I'll be removing the stock front sway bar before my next trip to the drag strip for better weight transfer and traction. If it wasn't for the pictures I could have done the Addco sway bar install in 45 minutes, give or take a minute.   
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2009 at 3:21PM
I was wondering how that set up would look. The one on mine is a factory set up, but I've been considering an Addco for the Ranchero.

Chuck 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2009 at 3:28PM
i put an addco rear bar on a few years back.  i have had to tighten the brackets on the axle a few times so far. so check it in about 6 months or so. they seem to 'settle in'
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2009 at 2:42AM
Thanks Peter, I'll keep an eye on the brackets as you suggest. The instructions say to tighten the nuts on the U-bolts to 30 pounds per foot, my torque wrench starts at 50 so I had to guess. I'm a little surprised at how easy the brackets bend as the U-bolt nuts are tightened, I think Addco could have used a stronger metal here.       
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2009 at 6:01AM
I was just looking at the setup...personally...the bar is worth adding, but those brackets look like crap.
I am Mr. Overkill at times, but I would have to weld some side plates to stiffen up that stuff.

Also, why is the upper bracket so short?
The factory used two bolts for a reason, and the upper bracket had better support.
Thicker than factory bar with sub par mounting hardware. Spiffy!

Although, can't bitch too much about it, atleast they offer the kit!

Andrew
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2009 at 6:09AM
I have this bar.. and I had the stock rear bar. It was much improved. And the hardware has held up just fine even with sticky tires barreling through exit ramps.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2009 at 7:00PM
The plate that bends when the U-bolt nuts are tightened could easily be swapped for a thicker steel plate. I'll keep an eye on how well the brackets stand up to drag racing this season to see if they'll need to be beefed up. I'll probably make steel brackets for the Endlinks also to allow for two bolts to hold it to the frame.          

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 10-July-2009 at 7:12PM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2009 at 5:39AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I think this will be the route I will take.
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2009 at 4:46AM
I took my Torino to the 1/4 mile race track and did some testing with my Addco RSB and the scale showed that it added at least 40 lbs to my car. This added weight slowed my car by 1/10 of a second, so I pulled the stock FSB out and the weight dropped on the scale almost to the pound. My 60ft times didn't change, but with some tuning I think I can improve on that. That Saturday was hot and muggy so I wasn't able to better my best time of 11.7 from last year. My best run of the day was 11.8 and then some girl with her Ford oiled down the track for the 2nd time that day. Angry The clean up took so long that our class didn't get to race again for the rest of the afternoon. I left the FSB off for the drive home and while I was changing lanes I hit the gas and my car bucked like a small boat in big waves, holy Censored, that was a stupid thing to do, so I took it easy for the rest of the trip home. I'm looking forward to more track time next year to take advantage of the weight transfer with some race shocks in the front.                 

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 18-December-2009 at 4:26AM
Fordified V8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordified V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2009 at 10:49AM
Where did you buy the kit ?
I saw two different model #'s for the same application at Summit, any idea what the difference is ? My guess is poly vs. rubber.
Finally, did you change the front ? There seems to be an upgrade available from Addco.
thanx for the details on the install, these baby's need all the help they can get in the twisties !!!
70 MACH I "R" code

72 GTS 351CJ

72 TR6

15 F250 Lariat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2009 at 4:19AM
I'm can't remember if it was Summit or Jegs, the seller had the RSB kit on for 1/2 price and a few of us on this Forum bought the last of their stock on-line. When it comes to sway bars, Poly is the only way to go if you want to carve corners hard. My stock FSB is almost the same thickness as the Addco replacement and its off the car for now while I'm drag racing my Torino. My front shocks are old Gabriel overloads with springs and there's almost no give when I stand on my front bumper, which helps in the corners with my big block engine.  I'll be pulling those out for a set of adjustable drag race shocks for next season.     
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2009 at 6:45AM
You sure it wasn't the inability for the car to flex that hurt the time, as opposed to the weight?

Also, instead of pulling and reinstalling the car constantly, I know some guys have their endlinks on quick releases with a pin that is pulled to free the bar up, and they ziptie the bar up out of the way.

Paul
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 9:10AM
I've seen similar things done myself at the strip.   Quick sway bar disconnects.   Thanks for the pics.   I'm about to order the 1" rear Addco bar and the 1 1/8" front bar.  

I'm going to try these bars first before tackling spring rates.   As we all know its the combination of parts...I still have the old 14" steel wheels with 70s tires.   To much flex...but I can still judge the sway bar combo and decide the path I take as I put the basic parts on.

This was a helpful link...thanks!
-John
-John
1973 GTS
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 9:30AM
Thought this should be stickied, as the pics are very informative.
Paul
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 1:25PM
I like it .I have the police parts from ford ,but this is A-1 piece .
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 2:50PM
What are those big azz washers for? 

I got the sway bar and compared the new vs old and took comparison pics.

The old end link bracket looks better than the new one.  The OEM rear diff bracket is formed with a bolt that is cross-bolted into the rear spring bracket housing.   I'm wondering if I should use the OEM hardware.   

Anyone use the OEM hardware with the new rear sway bar???

-John
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2013 at 3:27AM
I am redoing my rear suspension now and have a rear Addco sway bar. I didn't like the brackets supplied. My brother-in-law machined some custom axle brackets from a solid steel block. He designed them so that the bolt that holds the sway bar bushing will not rotate once installed. He also made new frame brackets out of structural angle iron. Should be much stronger than the supplied parts Here's a pic of the parts. They are going to be cleaned up and powder coated soon.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2013 at 9:15AM
I have this same setup on my car and the first thing I did was weld and extension on the upper bracket. When tightening the brackets to the axle, I was NOT impressed at how easy the brackets bent. Confused

I love the new brackets your brother-in-law designed. Any chance he can make another set? I would be interested in purchasing. I do not want to keep crawling under the car after every pedal smash to see what happened to the brackets.  Clap
You have to build em to drive em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic