The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Addco Rear Sway Bar Install 72 GTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2013 at 8:08AM
I like those brackets. Very drought, simple to machine. Powder coat them and you probably have a winner!
I still point out, 90's explorers, v8 or even the 6, have rear bars similar to ours. Not sure about the crown vics. But imagine they might offer up brackets and a bar as well?

Sorry, just my nature of using stuff that is not cheap formed steel.
Andrew
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2013 at 5:59AM
Thanks for the comments on the brackets. I should have them back from powder coating soon. Unfortunately, I don't think he has time to fab up anymore now, as this is his busy time of year at work.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2013 at 1:45PM
Have a basic drawing or cad file?
Andrew
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2013 at 3:16PM
I'll ask him when I talk to him next. I know he told me the axle brackets were made from a solid piece of steel.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 08-May-2013 at 3:16PM
Vince

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2013 at 11:54AM
I check with my BIL re: the brackets. He just hand bombed them, no CAD drawing. He said he just basically made them to the axle tube diameter but as giant HD muffler brackets.
Vince

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2014 at 6:55PM
That's a mighty fine driveshaft you got there but....
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 3:22AM
GranTorinoMan (Chris) that was an incredible post. Why do I say that? Well I was installing an Addco rear bar on my 75 Sport this weekend. It was one I had purchased years ago for the 73 FastBack and never installed. The instructions that come with it were terrible, so I used your instructions. Very clear - I even had my macbook sitting in the garage while I was doing it.

Overall the installation is straightforward like you said. I seemed to be missing some hardware in the kit, mostly washers (only had 4?) and then there were 4 ginourmous washers (like 7/8 ID) that I could not figure out for the life of me what they were for, I think someone was hung over that day when they were filling boxes. I had plenty of washers, so I just compensated manually.

Also the three hole brackets had to have the two non-slotted holes re-drilled. Seems the drill bit they were using was just a bit too small. Maybe it was the same hung-over guy that was filling the parts boxes?

Made a noticeable difference in cornering. The amount of body roll was greatly reduced for "normal" driving. The front bar is a factory smaller size bar.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic