The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Application of 1972 Laser Stripe Decal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: Application of 1972 Laser Stripe Decal
    Posted: 31-May-2011 at 5:26AM

1972 Gran Torino Sport-Optional Laser Stripe Installation

After Enrique and I realized we were out of our league on putting on the laser stripe on Saturday, we called in Steve (a professional) on Monday.  Here's a narrative and photos for the installation.   

I bought the optional red laser stripe from Perogie enterprises http://www.perogie.com/ for $299.00 (the cheapest price on the internet, but a high quality decal made by 3M).  Received item in 3 days as pictured.  Had the official Ford license seal on the outside.  On the inside, it had a squeegee, instructions dated 1975 (looks like a copy of an original from Ford), and 8 pieces (4 pieces for each side).  *Note:  Make sure to lay out the pieces so that the door pieces follow the changing of the colors down the stripe.  If you position it in the wrong direction, it'll be wrong.  They are interchangeable from side to side, but not directionally from front to rear. 

Steve laid out the pieces and then trimmed them to 1/4 inch from the decal.   

Steve dropped a line where the trimmed decal will butt up to when applying the decal.   

He cleaned the area below the dropped line with a microfiber cloth saturated with 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% denatured water to remove contaminants.  After peeling off the back of the decal exposing the the sticky surface, he sprayed it with a solution of flattened (no bubbles) Johnson’s baby shampoo/denatured water.

Working quickly, follow the drop line with the trimmed paper of the decal edge and squeegee the shampoo/denatured water solution out to rid the decal of air bubbles.  (He used a Teflon tipped squeegee, not the one included in the kit). 
 Once the placement is good, shampoo/water solution squeegeed out, then pull off the outer covering at an almost 180 degree angle (pulling towards the front of the car working from the back).  Don’t pull up @ a 90 degree angle or you will potentially pull the sticker off/tear it). 

Repeat and your finished x 8 and your finished. 

Edited by picon3 - 31-May-2011 at 5:34AM
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 6:30AM
Great instructions and super job. Car looks great.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 12:49PM
Thanks for the positive feedback.  Here's a nice before/after set of photos.  Paul~

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 1:16PM
Excellent Paul, the stripe really sets it off! Looks fantastic! Clap 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 1:36PM
Whoa, Paul!!!!!  LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!  Now, if only I could find exact placement for the side body moulding,lol.
Damn, your car looks OUTSTANDING!!!!!

~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 2:21AM
Chris and Carlos,

Thanks for being with me the whole way.  Paul~
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 4:58PM
nice work it looks great i am just going to paint mine on my ranchero
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2011 at 2:59AM
Do you guys want this stickied? 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 12:39PM
I say YES. Although I am not doing lasers (I am doing the aluminum trim), I wish I had a guide like this!!!  Outstanding!!!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2011 at 9:07AM

Here are the laser stripe photos from three different angles.  Paul~

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2011 at 11:54AM
With the cost of the decal I don't blame you for seeking a professional to install them.Even though you have great description and photos of how to install them it is easy to trap air bubbles when squegeeing the water solution out fron under the decals. Sometimes no matter how you try you can't help from trapping air and need to pop the decal with a pin to let the air out but work the air to the center of pinhole to get the decal to lay flat. I really donKt reccomend a beginner to install a $300 Stripe Kit and is worth paying a professional.As a body guy I had to learn early on to install decals cause back in the day we had the cars with the woodgrain decal down the center of the car and had to replaced after doing body repairs and paint.You get good when you have to install a decal that is 24" wide by however long.I worked at a RV Dealer ship and got really good at installing wide decal stripes.On the Airstream trailers and Motor Coaches they had 7" wide stripes and got it in bulk rolls and I learned how to install them dry,now that was a challenge cause the segment curved in the corners and had to stretch it and use heatgun to keep a straight line.."ike I said though without experience and the high cost of decal kits it is beter to leave it to a pro
73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 1:00AM
Your car looks awesome Paul!
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
mark harper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark harper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 3:05PM
What a beautiful car Paul. I love the laser stripe. What a tremendous compliment you and your car bring to the 72 Gran Torino Sport. Great job my friend!!
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2011 at 9:08PM
Originally posted by picon3 picon3 wrote:

Here are the laser stripe photos from three different angles.  Paul~. 

Congratulations on the project.  Now the car looks 100% complete with this addition.  It looks fantastic!!!
'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2011 at 3:33AM
Very nice, I remember following the progress of your project a few years ago, When you had started.  I've seen the ups & downs, setbacks, & milestones. It's been a motivater for me & others ,GREAT JOB
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2012 at 3:25PM
Paul,
can you get me a CLOSE UP of the driver fender laser stripe?
Behind the wheel to the door.
need it wheel well to door seam

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2012 at 10:24AM
I just looked at photobucket and it seems that they've gone to a beta version Confused.  I'll get a photo, load it up and see if I can get it posted.  Paul~
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2013 at 1:27PM
looks grt in black and the strip really adds to the look. I know there's a tire thread, but didnt see ur car there.   what F/R tire sizes are those?  thx
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2013 at 3:13PM
BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires on 15 inch magnum 500 reproductions from Summit.  

275/60/15 in back and 255/60/15 in front.  4.5 inch back spacing on wheel.  
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2013 at 3:55PM
thx for sharing the details.  
i too have 275/60s out back but im not liking the model of tire i have, so thinking of getting the same vintage 54 wheels from summit n mounting a pair of 295/50s i have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic