Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: C6 Floor Shifter Rod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: C6 Floor Shifter Rod
    Posted: 05-January-2010 at 4:31AM
Taken with permission from Fomoco8 on Ranchero.us.

It seems that almost every time you find a good floor shifter for an automatic that the rod is either missing or has been cut in half by some jackass in the salvage yard, I;ve made several of them using this technique and would like to pass it on,, Not hard to do or expensive to make,, THis is a finished one with attaching hardware. You will need a FOrd Factory Floor Shifter lever for this to work correctly.

A view from the top.

The plan to make the rod/lever is pictured below.

THe job is relatively easy , A couple bends and 2 well placed holes will get it done, I have run this type of shift rod on my Ranchero for over 10 years and absolutely no problems,, You do have to be very careful making the second hole on the rod or it will need to be redone ,,SO it pays to be cautious and take your time.
Start with the flatstock and cut to length and and mark bends at areas noted in plan. Drill the first hole in one end and attach to trans temporarily ,,, Install a pin in the unused hole on the transmission or shifter lever,,, Now keeping the the rod square scratch it over the pin to leave a scribed mark on the rod..Center Punch and drill the hole after verifying the dimension, Install pins, washers, and clips at both ends to verify the alignment,,,,

List of materials
1) a peice of flatstock 17 1/2" x 3/4" x 3/16"
2) 2 1/4" clevis pins
3) 2 clips as shown
4) 2 1/4" washers

Fabrication notes
1) Allow 1 material thicknes per bend(Example) If its 3/16" material make your dimension that much longer.
2) Allow a little more material for cutting approxamately 1/8"
Hopefully if you decide to do this the pic can be uploaded and enlarged ,, If not I can pass the dimensions on through an email or on the site here,,,

Edited by Psquare75 - 05-January-2010 at 4:36AM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2013 at 9:21AM
Paul, I am with you brother! I got so frustrated Angry with trying to find one, I picked up another engine version and with a little heat and elbow grease, rebent a new one. I love your article, very informative! Clap
I was toying with the idea of using these directions and making one with tubular metal, heating the ends and flattening, then drill the holes. Will let you know how it turns out.
You have to build em to drive em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic