The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: THE coil spring thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2016 at 12:50PM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

Nah, that's my wonderful wife LOL
Kinda what I thought too...
Alternate thought caption for the wife:
"WOW!!! What a manly car!!!! THIS is why I married Ilyes!!!"Thumbs Up
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2016 at 1:49PM
You guys wait til I drop the car, it's going to be gorgeous, and corner decently too.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2016 at 1:54PM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

You guys wait til I drop the car, it's going to be gorgeous, and corner decently too.
Thumbs Up awesome! slam it Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2016 at 12:22AM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

go lower Big smile

Just FYI:  on another thread we found some other options that would complement the 80090 fronts, if your trying to keep the stock ride height.   I haven't found any off-the-shelf options for the rear to lower it more; only custom springs for the rear.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/road-track-suspension-discussion_topic5320_page15.html

Front: Moog 80090
Rear:  Moog 8531 (183lb/in), 8307 (158lb/in), 8537 (175lb/in)

I tried the 8531 (183lb/in) in teh rear and found that it raised that back about 1/2-3/4", others say that it was close to stock height.   I got 8307 springs (160lb/in) to try next and believe it will be at stock ride height.  

I think with the 7/8 rear sway bar springs in the +200lb/in range will oversteer alot.   I will do more testing with a few different springs over the summer when I get my car back on the road.

I like the wheels...looking good!  It would be cool to see a big turn out at Carlisle with the 72-73 years in the future.   Lots of Starsky/Hutch cars...not so many of the 72-73s.

Edited by BackInBlack - 01-March-2016 at 12:29AM
-John
1973 GTS
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2016 at 7:17AM
I just did this swap in front with a few upgrades as well. the springs are really great for the price and its almost flat in the turns. i went a full coil cut on mine...

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2016 at 4:41AM
Originally posted by The Torino Kid The Torino Kid wrote:

I just did this swap in front with a few upgrades as well. the springs are really great for the price and its almost flat in the turns. i went a full coil cut on mine...

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2016 at 4:16PM
So what springs will lower a 72 Torino-Montego 2" all around?
Tim
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2016 at 2:17AM
Originally posted by yellowsportwagon yellowsportwagon wrote:

Tim

the next question is, how soft or firm do you want it to be at that ride height?

an out of the box set with small diameter wire may get you your ride height and will ride soft, maybe bottom out hard?

an out of the box set with large diameter wire & shorter free length / installed height will ride firm or very hard

same with a large diameter wire set & cutting coils, but with a target of 2" drop you have to be careful not to shorten the spring so far that the spring is loose as installed at full droop
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2016 at 5:42AM
Originally posted by yellowsportwagon yellowsportwagon wrote:

Tim

Most of the springs we talked about in this thread will not really lower a car as they are stock replacement springs.  Some guys trim the front coils for a better stance but you can't do that with the rear.  You're best bet if you want to drop the car that much is to order custom springs from some place like Eaton spring.

As Rock stated above too, you need to decided on more than just ride height.  You need to know if you want a soft ride, or firm ride.  Even from the factory there were three different suspension packages for these cars. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2016 at 6:13AM

I have made some changes to the suspension on my car since the last post.  Originally I was running Moog 80090 springs and Moog 8531's (183 in/lb) in the rear.  I was happy with this setup, but the more and more I ran the car on the rough roads we have around here I was finding the back end of the car a little stiff and not articulating overly well over the rough stuff.  At times I was getting some hop and skip on very rough pavement.  So after some discussions, I decided to try some Moog 8307's (158 in/lbs), which are listed as the stock replacement part for 1972 Torinos. 

Since the replacement, I have noticed a big improvement in the ride quality and so far it seems to have no effect of the car's handling.  It's definitely much better on the rough stuff and no hopping and skipping.  The car feels a little less planted in the rear because they are slightly softer, but it's worth it for the better ride and I doubt there is a significant difference in handling.  Further, the stance was pretty well unchanged, the new springs are maybe 1/2" taller, but they will likely settle a bit more with time.  In any case, I just didn't want to drop the rear on my car, I like the stock stance.

As I have already stated in this thread, the aftermarket springs are not the same as what Ford offered on our cars from the factory.  Below is a photo where I compare the springs.  My car originally had the HD or Cross Country suspension which were the stiffest (non-police) rear springs OEM.  Yet when I compared them to the Moog 8307's, they have almost identical wire diameter but have about an extra half coil.  Which means the 8307's are actually slightly stiffer than the OEM HD springs, and are likely stiffer than the rear competition springs and certainly stiffer than the OEM base springs.   Keep in mind 8307's are listed for 1972 but also for 74-76.  My guess is that the 74-76 have stiffer rear springs OEM due to the increased weight in these rear of the newer cars, which is why the Moog springs are probably stiffer than the 1972 OEM.

Moog 8531 (183 in/lbs), Moog 8307 (158 in/lbs), OEM Ford HD

Vince

Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2016 at 2:17PM
What is the wire dia. on the monroe springs? Curious to know how they compare to comp. suspension rear springs on my 73 Sportsroof.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

"Never complain Never explain"
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2016 at 3:22PM
The more I read on this thread, the more cornfused i get lol   my 73 q code formal roof has the comp susp, how are these springs with a set of decent kyb shocks? I'll have the comp susp front and rear sway bars. Not lookin to carve the canyons, just want a nice ride and not wallow all over the place with some light spiritied drivin around these ky back roads. My plans were to transfer springs and sway bars onto one of the fastback bodies i have or maybe onto another formal roof if I can buy the one i have my eye on. Anyone have this setup and how would you describe it?
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2016 at 3:59PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

The more I read on this thread, the more cornfused i get lol   my 73 q code formal roof has the comp susp, how are these springs with a set of decent kyb shocks? I'll have the comp susp front and rear sway bars. Not lookin to carve the canyons, just want a nice ride and not wallow all over the place with some light spiritied drivin around these ky back roads. My plans were to transfer springs and sway bars onto one of the fastback bodies i have or maybe onto another formal roof if I can buy the one i have my eye on. Anyone have this setup and how would you describe it?
LOL you and me both Confused FWIW i have stock? springs in my car cut in the front spacer in the rear, bigger bars 1 1/8"  and 7/8" kyb gas shocks, poly everything, box rear arms, rides good, corners well Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2016 at 7:20AM
Originally posted by Torinogts73c Torinogts73c wrote:

What is the wire dia. on the monroe springs? Curious to know how they compare to comp. suspension rear springs on my 73 Sportsroof.

I measured the springs as follows:

Moog 8531 - 0.63" approx. 6 coils total
Moog 8307 - 0.61"  approx. 6 coils total
1972 OEM HD - 0.61"  approx. 6 and 1/2  coils total

I'd be very interested in the 1973 Competition springs specs.

Vince

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2016 at 7:31AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

The more I read on this thread, the more cornfused i get lol  

This thread has become huge and is a bit overwhelming.  It's great in that many have posted their experiences with different spring setups but it doesn't really give anyone too much direction on what to put in their car unless you kind of have an idea of what you are looking for.  I have done a lot of the data compiling for this thread but most of what I have relates to 1972 as this is the only year I have the OEM specs for.

However, we can pretty much summarize things like this:

Stock setup, with stock ride height for cars WITHOUT competition suspension:

Use Moog replacement springs - used Rockauto.com and look up your car and springs.  You may have to trim (cut) the front springs for proper ride height as some will sit too high as installed

Competition suspension:

There is NO replacement springs that will have same specs as the OEM Competition springs.  If going for OEM specs, would have to custom order springs.  Using Moog replacements will result in much softer front springs, even if you order the heaviest versions.

Improved handling (firm ride):

Moog 80090 CVPI springs (typically cut 1/2 - 3/4 coil)
Moog 8307 or 8531 rear springs (8531's more firm)
Some have used CC (cargo coils) springs, but I personally think variable rate springs are not ideal for good handling

Stock like ride (for cars without completion springs) but lowered

Use Moog replacement springs, but cut front for desired ride height through trial and error.  Alternatively, order custom springs with stock spring rates.  To lower the rear significantly, custom springs are the only option.

Improved handling (firm ride) and lowered

I know this is what a lot of people here want, and ultimately custom springs are the best bet for this.  Something in the range of 600-750 in/lbs from and 160-170 in/lbs rear. 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 20-September-2016 at 4:37AM
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2016 at 8:54AM
We need to distill some of these pages into  "user guide"  
Like what Paul did with the instrument clusters.  
Springs set for fastback/sedan, wagon, etc for ride, performance street, track,

-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2016 at 4:20PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

We need to distill some of these pages into  "user guide"  
Like what Paul did with the instrument clusters.  
Springs set for fastback/sedan, wagon, etc for ride, performance street, track,

yes, good idea!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2016 at 4:28AM

Starting a user guide is a good idea, but we also need to keep this thread alive so people can post real world results.  We need a new thread for a user guide and this thread should only have data, not people posting about the springs they have used.  The results from this thread can be updated into a user guide as people try new springs.

Right now most of my data is for 1972 cars, but give me some time and I can compile all the factory springs for the later cars too.  I already have spread sheet with all the current aftermarket springs available for our cars (there isn't much selection). I'd be more than willing to make a user guide as my time allows.  I do have a bunch of other data on my computer too that's not in this thread.

The bottom line is though, these cars are not Chevelles and we have limited spring selection for those that just want to swap in a coil.  The aftermarket springs offered by Moog and others are NOT the same as OEM springs and are much more limited that OEM.  Ultimately, for lowering these cars, it comes down to cutting the springs through trial and error.  Same goes for performance, there really is limited choices if you want to improve over factory springs. 
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2016 at 5:44AM
Agreed....I would prefer approaching the solution with preferred spring rates then in a box next to it (like a spreadsheet) see part numbers or alternative parts.   If there isn't a Moog part...then its just blank or "custom". 

Front coils isn't that much trouble.  Pretty standard dimensions and easy to cut to the right height.  The rear springs are the problem with a pig tail size that can't be crossed or substituted from other cars.

Perhaps limit the "table" to ride height on one axis and performance level on the other axis.  Just ideas.  Don't we have a forum for these sort of things; user guides, lessons learned or something like that?

Edited by BackInBlack - 20-September-2016 at 5:47AM
-John
1973 GTS
Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 8:19AM
Just had the CVPI Springs (Moog 80090) and Monroe severe service CVPI shocks installed in my 72 montego wagon. wow! what a difference.

definitely not too harsh, definitely worth the money. Front end of the car sits about an inch too high I'd say (no A/C, but has PS. 351C-2V.)

anyone who's looking to do the upgrade...
and

72 Montego MX Wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
  Share Topic