The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Coil Spring Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2018 at 6:49AM
Russ, have you considered using Air lift air bags?  This way you could run whatever spring you want in the rear, but if you have a load, pump up the air bags.  I ran them on one of my old cars, and they worked pretty well. Plus you can stick with a decent shock rather than those overload shocks. 

A cargo coil would be a good choice for a Ranchero, but I'd stick with one of the lighter (ie non-wagon) springs.  Took much stiffness in the rear will make the ride poor and affect the handling.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2018 at 4:56PM
i'd go with an add on air bag set up like vince suggested Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2018 at 2:11PM
You guys are probably right.
I'll have to look into those, I know nothing about them at all. Embarrassed
Thanks,
Russ
chris5769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris5769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2018 at 6:11AM
Anyone have front and rear spring options for a 75 Torino?  351w with iron heads and no AC.  I did buy a set of the Little Shop upper control arms and energy suspension bushing set.  I am looking for a lower ride height than stock.  It has close to 500 hp so I want a performance ride but comfortable.  I see a lot of info on these pages, but not a lot for 74 and up and frankly, I need some help choosing.  Thanks much!!
Cheers,

Chris

1975 Gran Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2018 at 5:33PM
chris FWIW i have a 74 with a windsor no a/c i cut a half a coil off my stock springs works great for me Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 2:44AM
Like John said, cutting your existing coils might be an option.  I've done that on several cars without issue.  That's an easy task with our front springs.  Start with a half coil.  See how much of a drop you get, then go from there.  I've cut a full coil from a few of my cars, which gave me about a 1.25" to 1.5" drop.  However, cutting our rear coils might be a challenge.  They are tapered on the ends, so you will have to heat them to re-taper them. 

Another option is Eaton.  For my '76 Montego wagon, I purchased 2" drop springs from them. 

Trying to find a "stock" off-the-shelf type of spring that will give you a drop will be difficult.  I tried that without much luck.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 6:27AM
Once again, I take a peek on my thread and holy-hole-in-a-donut Batman, this thread is crazy.

Andrew
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 6:48AM
All the spring information from this thread and more has been compiled here:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/torino-spring-specifications-oem-and-aftermarket_topic16862.html

There is also a thread on different stances with different springs here:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/coil-spring-stance-photos_topic16869.html

For a 75 Torino you can try Moog 8002 for a close to stock spring rate. These can but cut to lower the stance but will require some trial and error. There is a photo of a 75 Torino in the Photo stance thread with these springs installed uncut.

If you want stiffer than stock then go with Moog 80090. Start with half a coil cut and go from there until you get your desired stance.

If you want lower than stock rear springs you have to get custom springs from Eaton or someone else.

Read over the threads I posted. Things are much more clear compared to this thread.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 23-March-2018 at 12:02PM
Vince

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 6:51AM
Thanks Vince. I actually have been considering replacement of my rear springs but not sure yet. Using 75-76 moog replacements for a Thunderbird!
Andrew
simon455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2018 at 5:46AM
did anyone managed to come up with a off shelf rear spring @ a rate of 200lb or close that would lowers the car 1.5-2" 
72 pro touring fastback
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2018 at 4:34PM
There are no off the shelf springs that will lower the rear of the car any significant amount.  Almost all are pretty well stock height, with some minor variation depending on what it's installed on.

All the spring data from this thread is summarized here:

Vince

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
  Share Topic