The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Coil Spring Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 12:55PM
And,
the new height of the CC807s is 27":

Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 1:00PM

Before rear springs (with CVPI fronts installed already):

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 1:06PM
And,
after both sets of springs were installed:

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 1:12PM
As for the ride, I took it out on a twisty-turny road.  The rear sway bar is still out of the car (going in this week).  The car was soft in the back end at first, but as I laid into the corners, it was nice and flat.  It seemed to like it faster, and between the springs and all the new poly bushings, it really handled like a much newer car (no slop)!!!!
I will report what it's like after the HD sway bar goes in, but overall, I am VERY happy!!!  She may be ugly for now, but she rides and accelerates just like I hoped!!!

Annnd now for my favorite shot, hehehehe:

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2011 at 12:27PM
Update for me:
After running around for about 2,000 miles on powertour, I have no complaints to be honest. Ride feels good.
I do want to run a stiffer shock. I think the motorcrafts I have on there, I don't think they are stiff enough.
Might have to look at Bilsteins or KYB possibly.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2011 at 8:36AM
Andy, 
I have the same complaint--I am pretty sure.  Need to drive on more uneven roads to really decide for SURE.  The CC807s just seem a little too wobbly for my tastes.  
I thought I was going to throw the rear sway bar on, but I think I will replace the 807s possibly with the 803s, for a stiffer ride, but need a little more road testing to be sure.  
What are you planning on for the rear shocks?  Just wonderin'.  
~Chris

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2011 at 5:27PM
allright. what a ton of info on this thread, i made it through most of it1 I have a buddy with a 72 sport fastback.no ac.  used to have a 429, now getting a 351c/c4.   this car will be stock, but needs new springs all the way around.   seems like when you order 'stock' replacement springs the car ends up being a HIGH RIDER.   anyone have some spring numbers to order that will make the car look close to stock when done?
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2011 at 5:45AM
Originally posted by ramair351 ramair351 wrote:

allright. what a ton of info on this thread, i made it through most of it1 I have a buddy with a 72 sport fastback.no ac.  used to have a 429, now getting a 351c/c4.   this car will be stock, but needs new springs all the way around.   seems like when you order 'stock' replacement springs the car ends up being a HIGH RIDER.   anyone have some spring numbers to order that will make the car look close to stock when done?
 From what i have seen and comparing those pictures to pictures of my Torino it appears the Genuine O.E. springs are the way to go. My car has never sat that high! If you check my posts you will find the Part# I believe it was D9AZ-5310-W
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
7D4FGTSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7D4FGTSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 6:48AM
Hey Guys,

I have a 1974 Gran Torino Sport 351W with a FMX auto and a/c.  I want to lower the front end at least 2 inches?  It has way too much space in those wheel wells for my taste.  Will these moogs 80090 fit without any major mods?  Do I need to purchase anything else for the coil springs to sit on? I don't want to buy new springs and then have to cut them .  I have no clue what are in there now but I think they are the original stock coils?  Another concern is the front coil springs that are on my car must have settled and dropped over the past 37 years?  If these 1998-2002 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor coils are interchangeable will I still get that 2 to 2.5 inch drop I'm looking for since they are new?  I figured they will settle and drop as well? 

As it sits now the passenger side is approximately 28.75 inches and the drivers side is 28.5 inches from the concrete to the center of the wheel trim.  Way too much room in those wells!  I would like to get that front end down to 26.5 inches.

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm sure this topic is beat beyond belief since it has it own thread?

Thanx,

Coogan

1974 Ford Gran Torino Sport
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 6:57AM
The 80090 springs work fine with no mods (see eliteman's post on his install) it won't lower your front end 2" though.
Jim

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 7:27AM
Originally posted by 7D4FGTSE 7D4FGTSE wrote:

Hey Guys,

I have a 1974 Gran Torino Sport 351W with a FMX auto...

if your car is sitting 'too high' after 37 years, do you really think they are the original stock coils?

why not just cut yours until you like where it sits? the only expense would be the spring compressor rental and a saw blade. i'd start with 3/4 of a coil and 1/4 coil after that

72 GT Ute

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 10:12AM
Coogan-
I ran some cut lincoln big block coil springs, which did drop the front end.
With your windsor engine, I don't know how it will sit compared to a 351 cleveland car.
Is the AC compressor and related parts still in the car?
You can get the moog CVPI {crown vic police interceptor} coil springs, and install them. Run them for a few months. See how they settle. If it's not low enough, trim a half a coil.

The lincoln springs, I sorta went BANZAIIII with a cut off wheel and removed 4.5" of coil spring.
I loved the look...
Before:

After:

Personally guys, I am still thinking my shocks are too soft.
I need to check out from the Motorcraft units I got years ago...I think I need a stiffer valved shock.

I've been driving the GTS more, and I seem to have more rebound than before with the CV springs.
Overall though, I am good.

I am trying to test the waters before I run into something stupid like a 800-1000 inch lb/rate springs...I just want a completely level feel, which I feel I have. I don't have any video footage of the GTS running though so I can't tell you all how level the car is cornering. Seems pretty flat, but don't know.

I know compared to the last time I drove the '73 GTS with stock springs, my '72 is flat as hell.
Wink

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 10:14AM
One other thing I wanted to point out...it doesn't seem like there is much of a difference up front, there is.
I was having an occasional rub issue with my wheel and tire combo on the front fender bolt on the top center of the wheel house. This was only if I was turning full lock, and going over a curb or similar.
7D4FGTSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7D4FGTSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 12:45PM

Hey Guys,

I just received an e-mail with the quote from coilsprings.com for the new front coils springs.

They came back @ 192.00 for two new front coils that will supposedly drop/lower my 74 GT 2 to 2.25 inches?? 

Is that a decent price?  I am not sure if that includes shipping or not it was a very short to the point e-mail?

I know the moogs would be cheaper in price but I'm leaning towards the ones from coilsprings.com?  It might cost more but it should be a 1 shot deal?

Remove replace and enjoy?

Do you think I will have to adjust my headlights due to it being lowered?

Any Thoughts?

P.S.  I just wanted to tell all you fellow Torino fans THANX for always being there to answer my sometimes off the wall questions!!  I really appreciate it!

Coogan

Thanx,

Coogan

7D4FGTSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7D4FGTSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 12:50PM
Hey Rockatansky,

I think you are right about those front springs.  They were probably replaced somewhere down the line?  It sits way too high for a 37 year old spring?

Coogan
Thanx,

Coogan

7D4FGTSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7D4FGTSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 12:55PM
Hey Eliteman76,

Your car looks real good with that ride height?  That's the look I am after for the front end of my car.

All the a/c equipment is there and intact.  Is there a big difference in weight between the Windsor and the Cleveland?

Coogan
Thanx,

Coogan

BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 2:18PM
If you want a little more flexibility in spring rate selection check out...

Front:  5" OD springs...cut to size basically.  You can get them in rates up to 900lbs/in.   I was thinking 800-850 for a small block.   

Rear:  Hypercoil Double pig tail 14" spring.  I'm thinking of installing the 200lbs rate spring. Im figuring that, since the original spring is a variable rate at 192lbs/in, these springs will keep nearly the same ride height installed.

-John
-John
1973 GTS
7D4FGTSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7D4FGTSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 2:25PM
Thanx for the coil spring link!
Thanx,

Coogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 2:31PM
Disclaimer....I would give Carl's a call.   I spoke to him, he seemed very knowledgable and was very helpful/nice on the phone.  Those 5" OD springs didn't have the uninstalled height listed so I'm not sure if they would work.   Basically, the high rate springs would have to be at least the height of the CVPI springs.

Im also looking at the sway bars...and schroeder bars.   

Be safe and double check before you buy.
-John

Edited by BackInBlack - 05-July-2011 at 2:39PM
-John
1973 GTS
7D4FGTSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7D4FGTSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 3:32PM
I'm going to give them a call.  I will ask them what they suggest for at least a 2 inch drop in the front end?
Thanx again John!

Coogan

Thanx,

Coogan

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2011 at 1:07PM
Originally posted by crispy23c crispy23c wrote:

Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

So it sounds like the CVPI springs for the front are the way to go in more than a few cases, and the moog 803 for the rear?

I do like the way the CVPI (front) springs act.  Nice and flat.  For the rears, I am going with the Moog 807s (1,000 lbs) for the rear.  This is slightly higher than the 960 or so lbs factory HD suspension my car had stock, but not as harsh as the CC803's.  The MOOG CC803 has 1,300 lbs and one of the guys said it was like a cement mixer, so I am trying these first.  
If it still feels too mushy, I will throw in the 803s.  This weekend is SHOT, so even if I get the 807s, they won't be in until next weekend. I will post pics when they are in so you can see, along with my opinion on ride harshness.
Paul, I liked your science!  Good stuff!!! Smile
~Chris

OK,OK.OK....I drove around for a couple of hundred miles on the new springs and decided........... .Confused.............The Moog 807s (rear) float too much.  I also don't like the rear shocks, SOOOOO, I am ordering the Moog CC803s and replacing the cvpi shocks with a firmer setup (TBD).  I love the front with the Crown Vic springs, it's perfect, and FLAT cornering Shocked.  I will update after replacing the rear springs, round 2!!!  Stay tuned....
Chris

Edited by crispy23c - 26-August-2011 at 1:08PM

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2011 at 2:02PM
Hey, so guess what? Tongue  Guess what I did today? Tongue
I put in the CC803 Moogs that I got yesterday afternoon!  And guess what? Tongue
I LOVE THEM!!!!  No more sloppy back end trying to keep up with the front end!
She handles    F Tongue  L  Tongue  A  Tongue  T
Can ya tell I am totally HAPPY with my choice?  LOL
So I got the MOOG CVPI springs in the front and the MOOG CC803 springs in the rear.  One note:  The rear sits about 1/2" higher with these new springs over the CC807 softer springs, but it sits perfect, in my opinion.  FINALLY.
~Chris

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2011 at 2:20PM
Pics man......Pics!!
Jim

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 12:31PM
I will post, but it looks real close to my original spring swap pictured in this thread.  Right now its in the garage with no rear window and it's about to rain big time, so I need to back it out on a good day and snap some.  Thanks!
Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 4:14PM
Can't wait to see it.   Im getting ready to do the rear suspension in mine.   I would like to have it planned out before I begin.  I was worried about the variable spring rate, not knowing exactly what the rates are.

I'm waiting for the heat to break here in AZ.   Then I'll get my new rear diff 3rd member and axles installed and swap the rear coils, etc.
-John

-John
1973 GTS
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2011 at 5:42AM
After doing a 500 mile drive this weekend myself, I can say I need better shocks to be matched to the CVPI springs.
I am getting what I consider too much float in the front end, but I am looking at the shocks not properly controlling the coil springs.

Schris-
What shocks did you end up picking up? Thought you said Rock Auto was doing a clearnace sale on Motorcrafts as some point on the CVPI shock?

Considering KYBs or Bilsteins, but that will have to wait a while before I can spend the $$ for a set of 4.
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2011 at 11:46AM
Correct!  On Rock Auto, and they have wholesale closeout for Heavy duty Motorcraft Gas Shocks, part #s AS995 for the front and AS997G for the rear, police interceptor, at only $7.50 each (instead of $20-$40 each for the usual pricing). These are in the car now.
They are for '98 CVPI, and the shocks look the same as '96.  Probably a difference in valving...
Note:  the rears have a triangular shaped ending built-in (rubber) up top.  
They don't interfere with the install, just use the regular rubbers and tighten them down good, and there will be no play.  Hope this helps. 
Still raining, waiting for clearing to take pics of the new stance, maybe a 1/4"-1/2" difference AT MOST.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2011 at 6:42AM
OK, thanks for letting me know.
DirtyHarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyHarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 3:06AM

Hi, I've been reading all the Torino posts about suspension and there's just too much information and choices from so many different opinions. Maybe you can simplify my decision as to replacing coils and shocks on my 76 Gran Torino wagon. 60,000 original miles, no rust, straight as an arrow, 351 Windsor, automatic. The shocks are shot, and I think the rear rides just a little low. Front end doesn't seem to have showing signs of wear, but I intend to pile-up miles in next few years. But I appreciate the retro soft-ride and totally realize its limits for expected handling, and don't want to change it too much, you know what I mean? I like to cruise in no hurry, btw, its good therapy from the rat race. Plus the fact I LOVE MY GRAN TORINO and will keep it forever in great shape. I also drive the car daily for work, I'm a car detailer and always have the cargo area full of stuff. Usually put in 2000 miles a month on side roads, practically no highway riding.

So, whats the skinny for shocks (Bilstein or KYB?) and coils (Moog or ??) and what about sway bars (something I've never had on a car) and bushings?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/grantorinocornfield.jpg/

Thanks in advance -Andy

Edited by DirtyHarry - 03-October-2011 at 3:10AM
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 5:39AM
The Chevelle guys have a nice table setup on their forum..

Car / Ride Height / Engine = Spring Number.

Someone could probably comb through these TWELVE pages, and come up with a handy chart, that will get 90% of people in the ball park.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>