The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntinuum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro
    Posted: 06-December-2020 at 3:00PM
Been looking at 1968-69 Torinos for weeks now.  For the life of me I don't know why, I just like them.  My first car was a 1963 Galaxie XL500 390/4sp that I bought in Feb 1968.  It showed really well.  It
had a 2bbl carb on it.  Ran like a dog.  My cousin was a mechanic and I asked him what I needed to do to make it go faster.  Install a 4bbl was his suggestion.  Went to the junkyard and got a 4bbl manifold and a carter 4bbl  off a Lincoln.  Didn't make much difference.  That summer went home for the summer, I was going to college in LB, CA.  My uncle in Hayden Lake, ID was a mechanic.  My dad was a bodyman working in Spokane.  Uncle Dick rebuilt my engine and transmission.  My dad and I prepped a '58 fairlane and '63 Pontiac wagon for paint as exchange for the labor of working on my car.  I think my uncle got the best of that deal.  I had a flat cam in the 390, that is why it was a dog.  Every dime I earned that summer went into parts for my car.  My dad bought me two new tires that needed replacing since I didn't have the money to buy them.  The best thing on this car was the 406 exhaust manifolds.  I had no idea how rare they were.
Next up was 343/4sp '68 Javelin, then 1970 390/4sp AMX.  I got married and bought 1976 Capri, my first car.  Station wagons and P/U trucks followed that.  I bought a 1969 426/4sp SuperBee with a friend for $3600!  I was going to keep it forever.  One of my kids put a small ding in it and I had to decide if I was going to kill my kids or sell the car.  Sold the car for $6500.  Could have been a good part of my retirement fund. 
Bought a 1995 T'bird SC 5sd about 12 years ago.  10 years ago it blew the head gaskets.  Pulled the heads and the block needed to be deck.  I haven't done a thing with the car.  Bought a 1992 SC with 60K that had frontend damage.  Was going to swap that engine into the '95.  I have come to the conclusion that I need to let this be someone else's fun.
In 2007 I bought a 1997 Mustang GT that was a long term test car for Car & Driver(look at July 1999 issue for the article on it).  The transmission needed attention about 4 years ago.  This last summer I finally found someone I trusted to rebuild the transmission.  It was right on the verge of becoming expensive.  Had to replace the 1-2 collar and fork.  The pads on all the forks were off or about to crack apart.  The guy who rebuilt the transmission use to work for a rebuilder in Portland, OR and was attempting to start is own business.  Did a nice job and cleaned and painted everything.  Not many people know how to rebuild a T45.  I need to start replacing the bushings and other things that need attention on a 23 year old car.  It has about 72K on it.

1997 Mustang GT SVO supercharger
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2020 at 5:30PM
Cool story. Welcome. Sounds like you had a lot of fun along the way.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2020 at 7:16PM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2020 at 12:55PM
Welcome aboard. I have upgraded you to a full member and you have full forum privileges. Sounds like your Mustang is pretty cool. Good luck with your hunt for a Torino.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
cntinuum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntinuum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2020 at 1:10PM
Today I am more of a looker than a doer with my cars and trucks.  Gone are the days where I would do something like replace the 350 in my 1979 1ton dually 4x4 with a 454.  I bought a pickup with a 454.  Bought another truck to ferry the engines.  Took a month of my spare time to swap the engines.  The donor truck with a 454 was a manual trans.  Went to a local shop in SE Portland and wanted to swap the 12" flywheel & clutch for a 350 flywheel in clutch.  He charged me $10! for a resurfaced flywheel, disc, & pressure plate for the 350.  He must have wanted the 454 parts is all I could figure.  Sold the donor and other P/U and I think I made money on the deal.  I was using the 1ton to haul firewood.  I had a 8x10 dump bed on the truck and pulled a 6x18 trailer.  I would go cut 5 cords of wood in an outing.  The 454 had the torque to move that load.
cntinuum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntinuum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2020 at 1:16PM
Looks like we are almost "neighbors" in this cyber world.  I live a mile West of exit #5 on I5.  Before Covid, I was going to my place in Ocean Park every week to work on a home I am remodeling.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2020 at 1:38PM
Originally posted by cntinuum cntinuum wrote:

Looks like we are almost "neighbors" in this cyber world.  I live a mile West of exit #5 on I5.  Before Covid, I was going to my place in Ocean Park every week to work on a home I am remodeling.
me? yep exit #63 off I-5Wink you wouldn't happen to be interested in a solid rustfree 74 ranchero would you?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
cntinuum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntinuum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2020 at 1:52PM
I like the ranchero's.  I don't have any more room for my fleet.  I have told myself that I need to sell my Super Coupes so I can have some space.  In 2007 I took down a 26x26 garage with an 11' overhang that was attached to a house that was built in 1966.  All that material is stacked in my garage.  I had planned on building a new garage on the lot but could never get my wife to agreed to my vision.  Need to sell this and get the space back in my garage. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2020 at 5:36PM
you're not alone! i took down a 24 x 36 garage at my old place and installed it here, plus saved metal sheeting for 12 years and built a 24 x 130 shop/garage/carport still not enough roomCry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply