The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lares 841 Quick Ratio PS Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lares 841 Quick Ratio PS Box
    Posted: 09-July-2014 at 9:15AM
For those of you that want to drastically improve your steering response and feel, the Lares 841 quick ratio box has been the way to go. In doing my conversion on Stripper, I wanted to chunk the worn manual box in favor of power steering (sold all my spare PS boxes), so I attempted to buy this 841 box. Not available was always the answer. Everywhere. AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilley's, Advance, Pep Boys...no one could get it. Discontinued was always the remark. They could send off my old slow ratio box for a rebuild (if I had one), but IF it came back (not always was the opinion), it would be a standard ratio. #*$^%@*&$!!!

However, I could not sleep the other evening and was online trying to find a used one to perhaps get someone to rebuild for me and stumbled upon the Advance website. Lo and behold, they offer the 841 FOR HOME SHIPPING ONLY! Tried ordering it, but it would not accept my order. Dang.

Then, I discovered that if you sign up on their website, it CAN be ordered...with free shipping! Ordered it with skepticism and it accepted it. Got the shipping confirmation today! Yahoo. Price is $96.29 with a $55.00 core charge that can be refunded through the stores. Awesome.

Thought this might be of interest to you guys.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2014 at 9:57AM
I hear all the good things about this box. I thought it was available everywhere. Keep us updated when you get it. I'm wanting to put one in. Thanks Rick
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2014 at 11:02AM
If the Lares box doesn't work out, you can just do a quick ratio Saginaw box.  I had a new box built with 12.7:1 ratio and it makes the car feel much smaller because the steering is so much quicker.  The Saginaw box only requires a different rag joint and a different P/S hose, the rest is bolt in.  It was a really easy swap. It did cost me a lot more for my custom built box though.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2014 at 4:00AM
Guys ALWAYS check rockauto.com.
$70 plus $50 core. I bought my 841, ps pump and new pressure gates hose from rockauto.
I also bought the inline filter for the low pressure return hose.
I had always tried to have clean type f fluid...but it was dark red.

Of note: USE TYPE F fluid. These gear boxes are not like a late model power steering rack.
The "power steering fluid" is not for use in our cars unless you are in a spot and need for an emergency.
I get the walmart brand type F and had good luck.

Feel free to pm me if questions. Also look at my build thread for info.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2014 at 4:06AM
Note: I used 1978 ford ranchero for my search.
The older ford Thompson style power steering pumps are getting hard to rebuild as parts are just not made for these. I've had discussions with stangers and lares about this.
Lares technical phone support was great the guy actually listened and knew his stuff.
I'll use their rebuilds again.
Rockauto issues refund for cores 5 days after they are verified returned and you get to use their discounted return rate for the return shipment.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2014 at 4:41AM
Never thought od Rock Auto. Good point. I'm fine with the difference in price, since I don't pay/bother for the return shipment and can just plop my manual box on the counter at Advance. No issue with "Hey, this core is not a power box!"

Also, if you cannot go with a later model plastic pump (better pressure) an older Saginaw pump will work quieter and better than our old-style pump. Less whine, better pressure, available everywhere and cheap. Found write-ups on F100 sites as well as Ford car sites on this.

Just an FYI.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2014 at 5:41AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Never thought od Rock Auto. Good point. I'm fine with the difference in price, since I don't pay/bother for the return shipment and can just plop my manual box on the counter at Advance. No issue with "Hey, this core is not a power box!"

Also, if you cannot go with a later model plastic pump (better pressure) an older Saginaw pump will work quieter and better than our old-style pump. Less whine, better pressure, available everywhere and cheap. Found write-ups on F100 sites as well as Ford car sites on this.

Just an FYI.
Another FYI, most of the cause fo ford pump noise is not using type f.  Just off the top of my head, the cougar, the 71 torino 500, the 66 7 litre and the pewter 72 were all quiet pumps.  the cougar actually has TWO quiet pumps.  the reman was quiet and i put the original back on and thats quiet too.  if the cougar doesnt sell, it will probably get one of these boxes and a set of commercial grade gas mgnum crown vic pi shocks, larger front bar and a rear bar to help tighten things up again.
Mike
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2014 at 5:51AM
I know this is going to sound stupid but I wanted the old metal Thompson pump over the plastic...but that new pump as I call it a g3 third generation ford ps pump (I'm probably wrong so please correct me on the name or type the plastic reservoir pump is technically called by) is common and readily available.
Only thing I noticed was the different fittings used for pressure hoses. I had two but they had adapters for late model metric thread (assuming here it's metric) versus the older style fitting.
I just want to be able to shift and bang gears to 5500 rpm, so I'm hoping my belt issues are done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2014 at 6:16AM
Deep "V" belts and pullies will help curtail throwing belts. I've found that serpentine setups with the spring-loaded tensioner works best. When you wrap that tach needle around, the crank is momentarily spinning faster that the accessories (until they can catch up). Causes the belt to develop enough slack to throw itself off with stationary tension. With a tensioner, it automatically takes up the slack whenever it is detected. Not vintage looking, but I like practicality better (for my purposes) on these cars.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2014 at 9:25AM
Easier said than done on a 351c. Before I added the York ac compressor no real beal issues. Once I added the York that darn huge counterweight gave me fits.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2014 at 10:21AM
Andy, thanks for the phone call and info yesterday about the Lares and the PS Pump.

Now I need a couple things...
1. Any issue replacing the 72 style pump with the 78 Ranchero pump?
Part #s? Price? Best location to buy it/price?

2. What hoses or adapters were needed?

Lola's PS pump is whining, I have ALL the new front end stuff to rebuild and replace so this is the time to do the Lares pump, PS Lines, and PS Pump... make the entire system NEW!

Joe, how did the AutoZone order and core return work out for you?

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2014 at 11:03AM
FWIW,
 I helped a mechanic buddy of mine rebuild my '79 Ranchero's original Saginaw steering box rebuilt with 12.7 (quick steer) internals from a donor '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering gear box. No machine work required, used a Gates #350350 rebuild/reseal kit for my '79 box, I kept the original Ranchero input shaft assembly so I wouldn't need to change and/or find a different rag joint. Works great, 2.5 or so turns lock-2-lock, (along with upgraded springs, sway bars & shocks) really makes my big Ranchero feel like it's on rails. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2014 at 7:38AM
Rock Auto.com
here is the box and the pump I am going to get for Lola.
LARES Part # 841 Remanufactured; Power Gear
Quick ratio; Works w/ Lares Steering Coupling Assembly 203 (Pins towards gear box)
$69.79$50.00$119.79Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogSteering : Power Steering Pump
LARES Part # 2338 Remanufactured; w/Reservoir
$28.79$20.00<$48.79

Now  have a question about WHICH Gates PS hose do I need??

PartPriceQuantityTotalRemove
Click to Jump to This Car in the Part Catalog1978 FORD RANCHERO 6.6L 400cid V8
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogSteering : Power Steering Pressure Hose
GATES Part # 354920 {#35492, 35816, 358160, 597, 71653, D8OC3A719DA, D8OZ3A719C} 3/8" Swivel O-Ring Type I x 7/16" Male Inverted Flare x 34 5/8"
W/Saginaw Stg. Gear; W/O Police, Taxi Pkg.
$16.57$16.57Remove Part
GATES Part # 355760 {#30791, 35576, 583, 71652, 791, D8AC3A719BB, D8AC3A719FA, D8AZ3A719B, D8OC3A719BA, D8OC3A719CA, D8OZ3A719B} 5/16" Male Inverted Flare x 3/8" Swivel O-Ring Type I x 42 1/4"
W/Ford Stg. Gear; W/O Police, Taxi Pkg.

the last hose is $16.82

Edited by Regul8r - 06-September-2014 at 7:41AM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2014 at 10:30AM
From what I have read and/or seen, the Lares #841 gearbox is a remanned Ford produced/built steering box, uses the smaller fitting on the high pressure input hose as compared to a Saginaw box. My Saginaw box uses an 11/16 wrench sized pressure hose inverted flare fitting on a 7/16 steel line, your Ford/Lares box should use a 5/8" wrench sized inv. flare fitting on a 3/8 steel line. Hope this helps.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2014 at 2:33AM
That's correct.
Buy the gates hoses. They are the correct shape and length!

Don't get me going on the hoses I have gotten from Edelman or some other house brands from advanced and Oriellys...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2014 at 2:41AM
The Advance return went very well. No questions asked. Yep, when I get hoses, I doubt I'll go with the house brands.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 3:40PM
Carl, I've tried to outline this conversion on my progress thread. I am still needing to update my thread, but I've had to modify the bracket for the Thompson pump, but I simply used a cut off wheel and a die grinder to clearance the opening.

After my install, I love the box. Replace the pitman arm. Replace the idler arm.
HUGE difference.

I will say if your old box was a 4 turn, or a 3.5 turn lock to lock, you need to relearn how you drive.

I had my accidentally grab my arm when I wasn't paying attention, she yanked on my arm and in turn I yanked the wheel and the car reacted and spooked me bad. Wasn't expecting a prompt response. 
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 3:59PM
Ok, so..
How many turns lock to lock is the Lares 841? 
What's that in terms of gear ratio? 
What's the stock box in terms of lock to lock and ratio? 
What is the Saginaw? Is there a variety of ratios to choose from in this type?
What else does the Saginaw require besides swapped internals?

Lot's of good info here and in some other threads regarding this same topic. I'm just trying to get the data all together to see what the real comparison is looking like.
-Billy Conturo
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 4:06PM
3 turns ltl on the Lares 841

No clue on ratio, sorry. 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2014 at 3:07PM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

Ok, so..
How many turns lock to lock is the Lares 841? 
What's that in terms of gear ratio? 
What's the stock box in terms of lock to lock and ratio? 
What is the Saginaw? Is there a variety of ratios to choose from in this type?
What else does the Saginaw require besides swapped internals?

Lot's of good info here and in some other threads regarding this same topic. I'm just trying to get the data all together to see what the real comparison is looking like.

The Saginaw steering box is a GM build box. The stock Ford boxes our cars use are 4 turns lock to lock (not installed) and have a box ratio of about 20:1.  They are slow, and awful for any spirited driving.

Ford used these steering boxes in 1971-73 Mustangs and some of 72-79 midsize Fords also used them (most seem to use Ford boxes).  The big advantage to the Saginaw box over the factory Ford box is there was way more variations made, variable ratios and very quick boxes.  Ford boxes only come in the very common slow ratio box and this Lares 841 box.  Ford used a quick ratio saginaw box in the 1971-73 Mustangs that is about 3 turns lock to lock (I don't recall the ratio).    However, they made Saginaw boxes up to 12.7:1 for other GM applications, which quicker than a Lares 841.

You need to find a Saginaw core with a Ford frame bolt pattern as a core.  A builder can build you almost any ratio you want.  The only changes need to make it work is a new over-the counter P/S line and a different steering coupler.  Other than that it's bolt in.  I had a steering box builder build me a Saginaw 12.7:1 box (I didn't have a core) and it cost about $300.  It has about 2.5 turns lock to lock and feels 100 times more agile. As a bonus Saginaw boxes are smaller and lighter than the factory boxes and may give more clearance for headers.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2014 at 3:16PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Carl, I've tried to outline this conversion on my progress thread. I am still needing to update my thread, but I've had to modify the bracket for the Thompson pump, but I simply used a cut off wheel and a die grinder to clearance the opening.

After my install, I love the box. Replace the pitman arm. Replace the idler arm.
HUGE difference.

I will say if your old box was a 4 turn, or a 3.5 turn lock to lock, you need to relearn how you drive.

I had my accidentally grab my arm when I wasn't paying attention, she yanked on my arm and in turn I yanked the wheel and the car reacted and spooked me bad. Wasn't expecting a prompt response. 

Andrew,
 As always, nice work with great info.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2014 at 3:52PM
well, turned out my fluid was low because I have a slow leak somewhere.
Noticed some spots on the ground lately.
Filled it up and all is good and quiet now.

So with the entire new front end parts ready for rebuild I am going to order the Lares box.
That way the entire steering suspension will be NEW!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2014 at 5:07PM
I have a 71-73 boss mustang spat code box. I bought it from Paul psquare75 but didn't use. Minor seal leak. I have $260 in it. Paul bought for his 78 xr7 but went to a standard box.
I was going to install but left my original box to my car until it was too loose to drive.
I went lares 841.
Anyone interested?
wylroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wylroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2017 at 10:08PM
hi all, i'm happy to have found this forum. i  found this question on LARES 841.
i have a Ford Torino 1976 V8 6.6L 400 cid
i have a power  Steering Gear LARES 841 to mount. but i did'nt found the right pitman arm that fit with...
The hole of these two part  is slightly too small to fit the steering gear axe LARES 841...
can somebodu help me to find the good part "pitman arm" which fit with the steering  gear LARES 841 ?
thanks all
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2017 at 3:41AM
Roy I was looking in my deal. I thought I reused my original pitman arm off my box.
I did end up replacing my arm with a moog arm I got off eBay years ago but no part number that can been seen.
I know there were different lengths available in between 1972 to1979 model years for the assorted ford intermediates and full size cars.
Any pictures comparing the two?

Edited by Eliteman76 - 08-June-2017 at 3:41AM
GTorino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTorino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2017 at 8:12PM
Originally posted by wylroy wylroy wrote:

hi all, i'm happy to have found this forum. i  found this question on LARES 841.
i have a Ford Torino 1976 V8 6.6L 400 cid
i have a power  Steering Gear LARES 841 to mount. but i did'nt found the right pitman arm that fit with...
i tried à <font face="Helvetica">MOOG K8217 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=203307&cc=1141546&jsn=3
and a <span ="listing-final-manufacturer ">MOOG</span> <span title="Buyer's Guide" ="listing-final-partnumber as--if-js buyers-guide-color" id="vew_partnumber2" alt="Buyer's Guide">K8256</span> https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=203320&jsn=2
<font face="Helvetica">The hole of these two part <span style="color: rgb31, 73, 125;"></span> is slightly too small to fit the steering gear axe LARES 841...
<font face="Helvetica">can somebodu help me to find the good part "pitman arm" which fit with the steering  gear LARES 841 ?
<font face="Helvetica">thanks all

I am having the same problem with the Lares 841 box too. the Moog 8217 pitman fits too tight over the sector shaft where the nut cannot be fully threaded on.
GTorino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTorino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2017 at 8:16PM
Does anyone know if Ford used different sector shaft sizes between intermediate and full size cars. is it possible that Lares rebuilt my box with a larger sector shaft by accident?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2017 at 4:14PM
Guys, I was looking. I found a picture of Moog K8185 for the idler arm.
Nothing however for the part number from my parts stock.
However, I looked and rock auto, under 1978 Ranchero with the 400, 

Moog K8256 

*editing this.
I'd suggest replacing the idler arm and the pitman at the same time to ensure they are matched.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 20-July-2017 at 4:18PM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2017 at 12:48AM
Andy,
 As you stated above, the Moog K8256 pitman arm is for a 77-79 T-bird, Ranchero and LTD II that matches Ford part number D7OZ-8590B. The 76 & earlier intermediates used a Moog K8217, not sure what the differences are between the two. maybe geometry, length or a clearance issue. I do know the center linkage(attaches to pitman arm) is different for 76-prior and 77-79 intermediates, so that alone may have mandated the design change.  

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2017 at 6:23AM
Todd I didn't think about that.
The only thing I know is the full-size Ford's used a different Pitman arm then the intermediates did for whatever reason.
Considering the full-size cars and the intermediates pretty much have the same frame I never understood why that was the case.
If I recall correctly the full-size cars used a longer Pitman.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>