The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Large brakes using 72 LTD spindles/brakes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large brakes using 72 LTD spindles/brakes?
    Posted: 25-October-2017 at 8:00PM
I heard about this somewhere else.
Supposedly you can swap the entire spindle with the larger LTD brakes (supposedly 11.7 inch like the Tbird) and keep the 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

I have my doubts since i haven't heard it here. I know nothing about LTDs at all, so I don't have a clue.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Russ
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2017 at 11:22PM
1972 LTD/Fullsize will bolt on, but use a different rotor/caliper (hard to find).

The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2017 at 2:37AM
rockauto has all the parts needed for conversion  , rotors,bearings calipers,hardware ,still need brackets \

Edited by andrewok1 - 26-October-2017 at 2:46AM
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2017 at 1:34PM
Be careful with the info in that article. Some of what they tell you is not entirely correct.
Also, the spindle you need for this swap is 72 Thunderbird, Mark IV, or intermediate. Some 73 intermediates MAY use the 72 spindle (Ford was using up parts stock), but Thunderbird, Mark IV, and Fullsize all went to 5x5 bolt pattern in 73 and got the big bearing spindle. (No confirmed small bearing 5x5 big car pattern rotors) 
If you use 67-71 Thunderbird/Mark III spindles, then rotors, bearings and calipers are specific to the spindle. There are a couple variations in caliper and caliper mounting (2 piston vs. 4 piston calipers, etc) but a complete spindle assembly will bolt up.
65-70 fullsize are usually drums in front, but may have optional disc brake systems which will bolt up.
in 70 or 71 fullsize got disc brakes standard, they are different from the later years, but a complete assembly will bolt up. These changed to the later "parts-bin" system for 73.
Looking at fullsize Lincoln, spindle assemblies from a full-frame Lincoln will bolt up, and they appear to go to the parts-bin system in 73 as well.
60s-era Unibody "Kennedy" Full size Lincolns MIGHT work as well, but not sure.

Any time you are using parts from immediately before/after a system change, check what you have very carefully. A lot of the changes were "running" changes like the intermediate spindle bearing size and a car made in one factory may use a big bearing, and one from a different factory may have the small bearing and a later production date.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2017 at 8:17PM
I've read that article a few dozen times.Big smile
I have a 72 so that isn't a concern.
Rock Auto no longer has the 72 Thunderbird rotors in stock, I've been on the contact me when they become available list for over a year. Kanter Auto Parts lists them, after I get the brackets I will follow up with them to see if they are really available. Calipers, pads, etc are stock Ranchero/Torino parts. I need to do new brakes anyway while it is all apart, so I want to do this upgrade now.

I posted the question about the LTD brakes just to see if anyone knew about it and had more details. The rotors are listed all over the place at half the price of the Thunderbird ones Kanter has, unless all those LTD listings are wrong. Shocked I'm wondering if the LTD spindles would work on my car, as there is mention of them not working with certain ball joints where I came across this swap.
Rock Auto lists several rebuilt calipers for the LTD. No brand new ones though. Around $50 including a core charge on all of them. So, again, they don't seem hard to find to me. Ermm

If the Thunderbird upgrade doesn't work out I will do more investigating. If I was really serious at this point with the LTD swap I'd be more concerned with the LTD spindle working correctly without adapting on the Ranchero before I started with all the brake stuff.  And making sure the LTD lug pattern is 5x4.5, as that is a must for me.
It just sort of concerns me that there isn't much mention of this swap, if it really worked well/easily I'd think it would be all over the place.

Thanks,
Russ
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2017 at 12:36AM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

I've read that article a few dozen times.Big smile
I have a 72 so that isn't a concern.
Rock Auto no longer has the 72 Thunderbird rotors in stock, I've been on the contact me when they become available list for over a year. Kanter Auto Parts lists them, after I get the brackets I will follow up with them to see if they are really available. Calipers, pads, etc are stock Ranchero/Torino parts. I need to do new brakes anyway while it is all apart, so I want to do this upgrade now.

I posted the question about the LTD brakes just to see if anyone knew about it and had more details. The rotors are listed all over the place at half the price of the Thunderbird ones Kanter has, unless all those LTD listings are wrong. Shocked I'm wondering if the LTD spindles would work on my car, as there is mention of them not working with certain ball joints where I came across this swap.
Rock Auto lists several rebuilt calipers for the LTD. No brand new ones though. Around $50 including a core charge on all of them. So, again, they don't seem hard to find to me. Ermm

If the Thunderbird upgrade doesn't work out I will do more investigating. If I was really serious at this point with the LTD swap I'd be more concerned with the LTD spindle working correctly without adapting on the Ranchero before I started with all the brake stuff.  And making sure the LTD lug pattern is 5x4.5, as that is a must for me.
It just sort of concerns me that there isn't much mention of this swap, if it really worked well/easily I'd think it would be all over the place.

Thanks,
Russ
I believe the swap isn't mentioned much is due to having to change more than one part and not just a rotor change. Those specific rotors were tough to find 4-5 years ago, since they were only available for 1-2 years of production(of course the actual numbers may vary). I believe the easiest way of getting larger front rotors on a 70's intermediate is just sourcing full size/Lincoln rotors and caliper mounting brackets then having the larger 5 on 5" BC rotors re-drilled for the intermediate bolt pattern 5 on 4.5" BC. This would leave the spindle as is without any fit-a-ment issues that could arise when swapping out to the LTD spindles and the Lincoln/full size rotors use the exact same wheel bearing numbers and the brake caliper as used on an intermediate. Just know doing the larger rotor requires 15" or larger wheels.
  There are other braking options "out there", I went this route seeing the decline in good quality replacement rotors and/or brake parts in general for our intermediates, it was also an upgrade in braking for me as well.

www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2017 at 12:39PM
To use the 70-72 LTD spindles, you may need to use the upper/lower control arms as well.
When I used to do the brake swaps in the early 80s, what we were doing was disc conversions on 65-68 Galaxies. Mostly junkyard parts, use the entire "Knee Assembly" (UCA, LCA, Spindle) Never tried strut rod swaps... too much trouble. Just snap 2 small bolts on top of each LCA and be done. I never realized they were splined, because we would break them and replace them when we installed the parts.
Torinos/Intermediates were the ones to find in the 'yards because we didn't have to screw with bolt patterns and there were TONS of 60k mile rotboxes in the 'yards at the time.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic