The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Living with a '73 Sportsroof in Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 9:42AM
yes, those should be the correct ones. i got mine from him and i was happy with the fit and quality Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 12:11PM
first i would rebuild your carb & change the gaskets on the EGR spacer plate under the carb before digging any deeper

George Holley said to Henry Ford that "90% of carb problems are electrical" ... what this means is that most of the time a suspected carb problem is not a carb problem, look at the ignition! your 1973 came with breaker points in the distributor, which need almost constant care to keep the engine running well

before or after but not at the same time (to eliminate any question of an error) install an 'ignitor module' to replace the breaker points & condenser

you'll notice a definite improvement over even a brand new perfectly adjusted set of points

Edited by Rockatansky - 06-November-2016 at 12:11PM
72 GT Ute

Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 8:15PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

first i would rebuild your carb & change the gaskets on the EGR spacer plate under the carb before digging any deeper

George Holley said to Henry Ford that "90% of carb problems are electrical" ... what this means is that most of the time a suspected carb problem is not a carb problem, look at the ignition!

Yep, that's how I would do it anyway Thumbs Up

Well, my carb problem is fuel leaking out, so I guess I can rule out the electrical part on that Embarrassed
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 1:42AM
Chris, I have posted before that I have a 72 GTS with the same engine as you.  I went with an Edelbrock intake and a Holley 670 Street Avenger carb.  Easy setup and significant improvement over stock.  Holley carbs aren't that hard IMO.  The carb is jetted pretty good out of the box for a 400.  You do have to buy a Ford kick down kick, but it's just a few extra dollars and easy to install. If you plan to do a 4bbl upgrade anyway, might as well do it now, rather than rebuild the 2bbl.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 07-November-2016 at 1:47AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 6:52AM
X2! Out of all the carbs, i prefer a holley!! Simple to work on without having to remove the top each time but add a good inline filter!holley's don't like dirt particles
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 10:21AM
Alright, so that sounds like I have to reconsider...thanks for the input!
I'll get the old carb out as a first step and then we'll see how to continue :)

I'm putting together a shopping list at the moment so I can get to work on some things while I can't drive. Can anyone tell me what this hose is called? It looks like I should replace it soon...

And here's closer look at the weatherstripping and the leaky carb (still installed):

1988 Porsche 944
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 11:04AM
That hose your pointing to I believe is the high pressure side of the air conditioning
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2016 at 8:05AM
Thanks John!

Does anyone who's reading along have experience with removing old weatherstripping? I'm wondering if there is any trick or special technique to get it off without damaging the paint on the body...
1988 Porsche 944

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2016 at 8:40AM
with the door panel off, roll the window down, look along the lower felt part...there should be small phillips screws holding it to the door, and it's clipped down through slots in the door. with the screws out, use a flat screw driver inside the door to push the molding/seal piece straight upwards.
yours should look similar to this:
Weatherstrip Door Sweep Felt Seal Front Outer Pair Set for Jeep Wagoneer Grand
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2016 at 10:51AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

That hose your pointing to I believe is the high pressure side of the air conditioning
Low pressure. ...Small hose leaves the a/c compressor as a liquid and the large hose returns as a gas... Sorry C.J.... by far I'm a know it all
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2016 at 11:01AM
not a problem! i'm no expert on a/c
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2016 at 2:57PM
refrigerant can't leave the compressor as a liquid, liquid can't be compressed. IIRC it leaves the compressor as a super heated vapor and goes to the condenser where it cools & becomes less of a gas. the receiver/dryer or accumulator guarantees liquid delivery to the TXV or expansion orifice & the resulting gas flows through the evaporator ... then back to the compressor
compressor pressure goes to the front of the car, compressor suction comes from the plenum
72 GT Ute

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2016 at 3:56PM
^^^^^^^ yeah. ..what he said. ^^^^^
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 2:40AM
Alright, so thanks to John I was now able to get the old weatherstrips off without trouble Smile

Turns out that the paper inlay behind the door panel on the passenger side wasn't so fresh anymore, while there was none at all on the driver's side:

Also removed these seals to give them a little care treatment. Does anyone know what these are called if you want to buy them new? 

Aaand I also got the carb out. It's a Motorcraft, I don't know if that was standard or if it's a standard replacement for the original?

The point where I got stuck today is how to access the rear side windows weatherstripping. I guess the interior panel has to come out? If so, does that work without removing the rear seats? Shocked I didn't want to risk breaking something, so I wanted to ask before I just try pulling it off like the ones on the doors...

1988 Porsche 944

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 5:27AM
chris: happy to help!
the seal thing you mention..is part of the door seal weatherstrip it's all one piece.

the carb is the original type.

the rear panel... it's not hard to remove the rear seat,shove back on the bottom of the bottom seat frame right at the carpet on both sides  push back and lift up (the frame of the seat hooks in these notches on the floor brace) once the bottom cushion is out there are two bolts for the upper seat back accessible where the bottom cushion was, remove them and the upper cushion lifts upward the top hooks on brackets at the top. the panel has two holes under the armrests that have 3/8" hex screws holding them on, and IIRC three wire spring panel clips along the front edge towards the door opening. it removes similar to the door panel Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 8:27AM
Now that I have the carb out I found some interesting details about it.

First and foremost, I think I can throw it away, because the leak was exactly on this edge, which is broken:

So although the gasket looked perfectly fine and was positionied perfectly, it still leaked fuel out there.
So going to a Holley becomes even more tempting now. Tongue

Another thing I wondered about is this line, that was only loosely connected and looks like it messed up the thread it bolts onto:

What line is that? Embarrassed
1988 Porsche 944
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 8:35AM
Crack means it's time for a new one.
That line appears to be part of a hot-air choke.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 2:16PM
if thats just a chip off the edge and not a crack that runs down, you can clean it up, grind it out a bit and try some jb weld to fix it.
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 2:31PM
that looks nasty, surprised it ever got installed from day 1

can't somebody send Chris a rebuildable or just a main body as a gift?

Chris look on your ebay for a 'ford 2100 carb'

notice the number on the side of the float bowl, 1.08, 1.14, 1.21, 1.23, 1.33 ... that's the size of the venturi, you want to get the same size you had or bigger, not smaller or much smaller anyway http://mustangtek.com/carburetors/FordCarburetors.htm

Edited by Rockatansky - 13-November-2016 at 2:42PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 2:54PM
Holley did make a direct replacement carb, list # 7508, they're not exactly easy to find nor are they any kind of performance upgrade.
just a Holley version of the stock 2100 rated 320 cfm

i don't know about this guy's zinc dip? looks like Eastwood carb paint to me

notice that the fuel inlet is in the same place as Ford so you don't have to jack around cutting & bending

Edited by Rockatansky - 13-November-2016 at 2:55PM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic