The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Living with a '73 Sportsroof in Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 3:27PM
I think he means upgrading to a 4-bbl Holley.  That's what I'd do, and that's what I did in my car and I am very happy with the results.

If you want a stock carb, you can get a remanufactured carb from RockAuto.  Just look up 1973 Torino, 400, and under Fuel/Air.  I know RockAuto is really good for international shipping, at least it is to Canada.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 3:30PM
Originally posted by Torino_Chris Torino_Chris wrote:

Alright, so thanks to John I was now able to get the old weatherstrips off without trouble Smile

Turns out that the paper inlay behind the door panel on the passenger side wasn't so fresh anymore, while there was none at all on the driver's side:

Also removed these seals to give them a little care treatment. Does anyone know what these are called if you want to buy them new? 

Aaand I also got the carb out. It's a Motorcraft, I don't know if that was standard or if it's a standard replacement for the original?

The point where I got stuck today is how to access the rear side windows weatherstripping. I guess the interior panel has to come out? If so, does that work without removing the rear seats? Shocked I didn't want to risk breaking something, so I wanted to ask before I just try pulling it off like the ones on the doors...

Chris you can get the paper to make up new door weathershileds for you door from several restoration companies.  You'd have to make them though as I don't think anyone makes precut paper for these Torino's.   Or you can make up some new ones from plastic used for vapour barrier for a lot cheaper.  Modern cars use plastic. 
Vince

californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 3:50PM
chris: if you're wanting another stock 2 bbl carb like that i have a good one off my car, that i'm not using! or contact steve__ gnrlee01 he has two aluminum 4 BBL intakes for a 400 he's wanting to sell
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2016 at 1:07AM
Thanks for all the offerings guys! Smile

I'll have to think it all through and calculate the cost of an uprgade before I can decide whether to get a standard replacement or go with a 4bbl conversion. It's really just a question of money I think, I'd definitely love to upgrade Big smile
But with all the options of what to upgrade and what not it's still a little hard to decide. Intake, carb, timing gear, ignition, ... so many possibilities and it all has to work together and make sense Shocked

1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2016 at 6:20AM
More progress made today! 
Again thanks to John for telling me how to get the rear bench seat out! Piece of cake Tongue

I got the panels off without problems and guess what: I found a little surprise present in there on the passenger side:

So I decided to look for something more valuable in the other spots but no luck LOL

Disassembled the driver's side as well:

So far so good, now I have to wait for the new material to arrive Smile

But while I have everything apart, I'd like to address some more issues of course...one of which is the rust obviously...Cry
And the other one is the two passenger side windows. The one on the door is really hard to crank and the one in the rear has some kind of alignment problem. It shifts its position on the way up and down, which results in the weatherstrip getting damaged by a screw on the inside of the body. Angry
Can I actually disconnect the metal panels that held the interior panels in place to access the window mechanisms?

By the way, when my spare parts finally ship I will also get the workshop manual, so I can look these things up myself and won't have to ask about every single thing anymore Embarrassed

Cheers Beer
1988 Porsche 944
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2016 at 7:00AM
Check the window mechanism for any binding and relube it all! See if that helps! If you need any passenger side parts let me know, i have a regulator and all the tracks from a wrecked low mileage door (pass. Side only)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2016 at 11:05AM
Rockauto will charge about a $65 core, probably about a break-even in shipping 
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2016 at 3:23PM
Originally posted by Torino_Chris Torino_Chris wrote:

More progress made today! 

And the other one is the two passenger side windows. The one on the door is really hard to crank and the one in the rear has some kind of alignment problem. It shifts its position on the way up and down, which results in the weatherstrip getting damaged by a screw on the inside of the body. Angry

On the rear windows check there is a little nylon guide or roller (I forget now) that pops off the track sometimes.  It's not hard to put it back in place.  I usually don't open my rear windows period because they can damage the window felts.  If I do open them, if you guide them down as you open the windows you can prevent damage.  They aren't a good design and I know my dad said they never worked well even when the car was new.

As for your carburetor, if you plan on upgrading the carb at some point in the near future there is no point in spending money on a 2-bbl carb now.  Unless you can get one for cheap from another member, like California Johnny.  Also, like he mentioned there is a member with a couple of used intakes for a 400 which would save you a fair amount of money.

Here is some info on the stock carbs for these engines:

Here is an article that talks about a 400 Ford rebuild that compares a 2bbl vs 4bbl with dyno results.

Vince

gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2016 at 12:41PM
yeah, ive got 2 edelbrock performer 4 barrel intakes for the 351M-400, i also have a complete high performance roller cam and timing set as well as a high volume oil pump and lifters and valve springs and 2 sets of pushrods all brand new never been opened for the 351m-400. if youre intested let me know. i know im not going to get what i paid for them and i cant use them at all now that i no longer have the car that they were intended for.
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2016 at 1:00PM
b.t.w, youre car is gorgeous!!! can i ask, how much did you get it for and how much did it cost to get it shipped from the previous owner to where youre at now?
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2016 at 10:43PM
Thank you! Embarrassed

Well it was already in Europe. I bought it for 13.000 Euro from the guy who imported it to the Netherlands (but never drove it there). Then it went to the workshop in Berlin on a truck, which cost 400 Euro.
And after it was ready I picked it up there and drove it back home (~350miles) myself. Smile

Edited by Torino_Chris - 10-December-2016 at 9:31PM
1988 Porsche 944

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 10:50PM
Some minor news for now: My parts arrived, yey Smile

And they even seem to fit LOL I haven't installed them yet because I want to take care of the window mechanisms and maybe some rust protection on the insides of the doors now that I have it all apart.

Neat detail: I now also have a dome lamp cover installed:

Another thing I did was soaking these seals in "oil loss stopper" liquid. Don't know what it's called in English, but you ususally add it to your engine oil, where it helps to recover seals that are hardened. The seals I soaked here were hard as stone, no way to bend them or anything. After the treatment they are nice and soft again Clap

I'd also like to correct this little problem here, but I have not found a way to get the lock out of the trunk yet...almost looks like that would be quite a pain in the *** Confused

1988 Porsche 944
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2016 at 6:26AM
TO GET THAT FLIPPER ASSEMBLY OFF, YOU JUST HAVE TO DRILL OUT THE TWO RIVETS HOLDING IT TO THE TRUNKLID.  The lock cylinder doesn't have to be removed.
Mike
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2016 at 9:57AM
Is there a brand name for that stuff. Like to try that on my spare parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2016 at 10:27AM
hey chris: the part you took off of the door, they are part of the door seals (they just sepereated over time, mine were too)

if you buy new door seals they will be part of it--all one piece. here's where i got mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-73-74-75-76-TORINO-RANCHERO-DOOR-SEAL-WEATHERSTRIP-/300959396593

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2016 at 1:17AM
John, thanks for the tip, I'll think about that.

@fordpower: If you mean the seal recovery stuff, this is it: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2020-Motor-Saver/dp/B00CPL8WY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481980459&sr=8-1&keywords=liqui+moly+oil+saver

@mcford: Alright, no need to shout LOL

Edited by Torino_Chris - 21-December-2016 at 9:05AM
1988 Porsche 944

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2016 at 11:18PM
So while I'm waiting for my workshop manual to arrive, which I need to figure out what else I'm going to do and what parts I'll need for it, there's another question I have.

Has anyone ever fixed a broken grille? Because mine looks like this:
1988 Porsche 944
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2016 at 12:09AM
I haven't done it myself but I know some of the other guys have carefully cut out the broken parts and replaced them with parts from a damaged grill. Once they get their lazy asses out of bed I'm sure they will be able to help you LOL.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2016 at 3:26AM
now that I'm up & out of bed i'll say about the same thing that Stan did. you can find another grill much like yours & do surgery using an appropriate adhesive &/or epoxy to replace the missing bars

when i had my 73 i cut all the small bars out to leave only the large bars, file & sand the cuts smooth and painted it Black to look much like the 1979 F series truck grill http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replace-FO1200109-Replacement-Grille-/232004672024?fits=Year%3A1979%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AF-150&hash=item36048e5a18:g:bS4AAOSwXeJXfV9D&vxp=mtr

if you think that's too open for debris to get in you can use a stylish hardware cloth behind the grill to keep the pelicans out, they even make the stuff in plastic now so it doesn't rust or corrode over time http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Truck-Mesh-Grille-Honeycomb-ABS-Plastic-Sport-Vent-Look-46-5-x15-5-Sheet-/161151769909?fits=Year%3A1979%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AF-150&hash=item258564dd35:g:WdoAAMXQGQRSCecz&vxp=mtr

another appearance trick is to black out the turn indicators with Nightshades paint,
not sure if the TUV would appreciate that or if you've moved the indicators to the headlights?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2016 at 6:16AM
i may be able to get you a good grill
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic