The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Living with a '73 Sportsroof in Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 4:46AM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 7:12AM
if you plan to keep the old intake in a usable condition hose it down with some kind of spray oil protectant, something heavier than WD40, just a store brand spray lube all through the insides of the manifold. it's only had fuel inside which leaves a nice rustable raw metal condition. then bag the manifold into a doubled plastic bag & hose the insides of the bags with oil too

stored intakes always rust inside then they're Cry

good news on the Pertronix module Big smile

and Yes use the vacuum! get down into the heads to pull out any debris that fell in then stuff the holes with paper towel before doing any more cleaning ... too late? maybe you did?

then use the vac again while pulling the paper towels out, hold the paper in the hole while you vac away any debris from around the sides of the paper as you remove the paper from the holes Thumbs Up 
72 GT Ute

Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 7:28AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

if you plan to keep the old intake in a usable condition hose it down with some kind of spray oil protectant, something heavier than WD40, just a store brand spray lube all through the insides of the manifold. it's only had fuel inside which leaves a nice rustable raw metal condition. then bag the manifold into a doubled plastic bag & hose the insides of the bags with oil too

stored intakes always rust inside then they're Cry

good news on the Pertronix module Big smile

and Yes use the vacuum! get down into the heads to pull out any debris that fell in then stuff the holes with paper towel before doing any more cleaning ... too late? maybe you did?

then use the vac again while pulling the paper towels out, hold the paper in the hole while you vac away any debris from around the sides of the paper as you remove the paper from the holes Thumbs Up 

That's awesome advice, thanks man Thumbs Up
I didn't stuff the openings yet, but I will before I start cleaning, as you said!
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 9:50AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

since you have it tore down that far, might as well get a set of closed chamber 4v heads for it with a new high perf cam LOL
If you do go this route you will need to find an intake manifold for the 4v heads on a 400.
All the aftermarket ones I've seen are for 2v heads. Major port mismatch...
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 10:02AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

since you have it tore down that far, might as well get a set of closed chamber 4v heads for it with a new high perf cam LOL
If you do go this route you will need to find an intake manifold for the 4v heads on a 400.
All the aftermarket ones I've seen are for 2v heads. Major port mismatch...

Thanks, but I'm definitely not going this way Embarrassed
1988 Porsche 944
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 11:32PM
Alright, so although I already have a new intake gasket on the way, I have now discovered that there are aftermarket valley pan style gaskets as well. So I'd like to install one of these instead.

It is kind of confusing though, with this Thermactor thing, which I don't if I have it or still need it. What I do have is EGR, but that can be deleted, right? There's still so much to learn about these engines Shocked

The one big question for now though, is if this would be the correct gasket:
Without Thermactor

Wacko
1988 Porsche 944

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 6:02AM
the 'turkey pan' stamped metal gasket is how they came from the factory, at least a couple gasket makers produce them
BTW you just remembered me of something, there are 2 different turkey pans for your engine, the difference may be decided by the year? there's a hole in the turkey pan for an EGR / emissions passage that is in the front on one and in the back on the other. if you do use the turkey pan make sure you get the correct one ...

i would just use the 'race style' gaskets w/o the turkey pan, and w/o the cork / rubber end seals. just use RTV in place of the supplied end seals and throw them as far as you can

also double check make sure you have the gaskets positioned correctly, they only fit best one way but they are still very close the wrong way. flip them over a couple times to see which way they fit best
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 6:17AM
There are about 4 different turkey pan gasket sets for the 400 Ford.  Early (1971-74) with Thermactor and without, late (1975-82) with Thermactor and without.  I know Chris is planning on upgrading to an aftermarket Edelbrock 2171.  Regardless of your engine year, this intake works best with MS96020 or MS96017.  MS96020 is without Thermactor and MS96017 is with Thermactor.  As a note, if you don't have Thermactor, either gasket will work fine.  If you do, you NEED to used MS96017.
I used the turkey pan (MS96017) with RTV for the end seals with my 2171 intake.  Easy install, no leaks and keeps the hot oil of the bottom of the intake. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 6:30AM
just posted to Russ's thread,

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

the turkey pan will/should come with very thin paper gaskets, i believe the paper gaskets go on the heads then the metal tray under the manifold

the reason i don't like the turkey pan is because it creates a cavity under the manifold where condensation forms or holds moisture and rusts through the turkey pan. the last 2 i took off were perforated through by rust pinholes

if the engine runs correct operating temp with the proper 192* thermostat the oil on the underside of the intake is not an issue. todays oil is not the same as the oil that caked/coked on the underside of the intake, except for that Yellow Death brand Dead LOL (lots of paraffin)  
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 7:15AM
ahh yes, paraffin...good for candles,bad for engines Dead
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 1:18PM
yeah, that old intake weighs a ton...just curious...why would you want to keep the old intake?

74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 10:31PM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

yeah, that old intake weighs a ton...just curious...why would you want to keep the old intake?

Just for the sake of being able to convert it back to original Smile

So this is my old gasket that I pulled out:

So would this one here be correct? That's MS96017 as Vince suggested:

As far as I understand now from what you explained it looks to me like I don't have the Thermactor system (because my old gasket has blocked ends on one side, compared to the one underneath). So if that's correct, it wouldn't matter which gasket I use. Right? Confused

And yes, I already heard that the end seals are useless and I will do that with RTV just as you guys suggested. Learned that from Pete's Garage already Tongue

Edited by Torino_Chris - 02-January-2017 at 11:00PM
1988 Porsche 944
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2017 at 1:42AM
Chris if you look at your original gasket you will see there are smaller rounded holes open on the left side. These are the same as the small open holes on the right side of the new gasket. The right side of the gasket, which is the front of the engine, is where the two differ. The new gasket has small rectangular openings which are not present on your original gasket. These port openings exist on the Edelbrock manifold but not the factory manifold. That is why the MS96017 works better with the Edelbrock intake.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 03-January-2017 at 1:43AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2017 at 2:04AM
Ooh okay, got it! Thanks for clarifying that Vince!
And again, thanks a lot to all of you for the ongoing support! Thumbs Up

Sometimes I just have to ask multiple times to be sure I understand it correctly Geek
1988 Porsche 944
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2017 at 2:22PM
Originally posted by Torino_Chris Torino_Chris wrote:

Sometimes I just have to ask multiple times to be sure I understand it correctly Geek

dont feel bad, im the same way...specially when i dont have my hands right in the middle of it.

74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 2:35AM
Finally!! Big smile
There is my new intake that I bought from Josh aka mach1000. This thing feels like a ton lighter than the old iron LOL

What I'd like to do now is clean as best as possible and then clear coat it to protect it and make it easier to clean in the future. I already tried the usual degreasers I had that don't harm Aluminum, but they didn't do much.
Has anyone ever done this and knows a trick?
I can't sandblast it or anything. One thing I still have to try is Coca Cola and Aluminum Foil, which works wonders on rusted chrome. Might help here as well...

Edited by Torino_Chris - 09-January-2017 at 2:35AM
1988 Porsche 944
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 4:28AM
Do you mean you don't have access to a sandblaster or don't want to risk damaging it? I've sandblasted and cleared a couple of intakes but find silver ( not aluminum ) paint looks as good or better. If there's a place near you that could sandblast or glass bead it that's the route I would go. I've never found a cleaner that does a good job on rough aluminum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 4:50AM
Originally posted by stanman stanman wrote:

Do you mean you don't have access to a sandblaster or don't want to risk damaging it? I've sandblasted and cleared a couple of intakes but find silver ( not aluminum ) paint looks as good or better. If there's a place near you that could sandblast or glass bead it that's the route I would go. I've never found a cleaner that does a good job on rough aluminum.

I don't have access to a blaster, and I'd like to avoid the cost if possible. But there are places that can do it around here, maybe I'll call and ask how much it would be.
1988 Porsche 944
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 5:16AM
I'm enjoying this thread because I'm learning a lot, and even though we have different engines, much of the information in this thread pertains to both. Great looking car and good luck with your restoration!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 9:18AM
Yeah glass bead or plastic bead or walnut shells to blast it.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic