The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Living with a '73 Sportsroof in Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 1:42PM
Mag Wheel Cleaner. Eagle One for Aluminum.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 6:20PM
Yes be careful if you blast it, the threads will get rough and will gall when you tighten the fittings into the holes. i had an experience where the fitting totally seized in the threads and ripped them out when i tried to loosen the fitting because it locked up before it was tight, had to have a piece welded on and tapped to repair the damage Embarrassed
i think the only way to get a satisfactory result to clear the natural alloy is to have it blasted, the other cost effective option is to pick a color that resembles cast alloy & paint it, not that fake looking shiny silver that rubs off on your fingers thoughThumbs Down 

this is the repaired alloy intake and cast iron water pump painted with a ceramic engine temp rated silver 

72 GT Ute

Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2017 at 12:16AM
Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

I'm enjoying this thread because I'm learning a lot, and even though we have different engines, much of the information in this thread pertains to both. Great looking car and good luck with your restoration!

That's cool Smile
Yeah I wonder what the deal was with this car though. Someone must have started a restoration shortly before I bought it, presumably the last american owner. But then it seems he had to give it up for some reason. I'd really like to know when all that happened and what the car was like before! A beat up daily driver, a barn find, been stored away forever, ... sadly I just can't get in touch with the last american owner, and the dutch guy who imported and owned it before me for half a year without driving it knows nothing either Cry

Anyway, back to topic: I'll check for blasting options (and protect the threads if that happens) and tomorrow or so, I'll have a new cleaner delivered that might work as well. I'd definitely prefer that.

Rockatansky's silver paint does look good though, I have to say! I have to decide now between making everything I rework shiny and new-looking or just clean and stock-locking with a bit of patina...Lamp
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2017 at 3:02PM
Ford Blue on the intake manifold doesn't get it for you?
72 GT Ute

Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2017 at 4:23PM
Two ideas....

As Big Bird mentioned...mag wheel cleaner. Get the stuff NOT for clearcoated wheels. It will have mild acid in it. Spray it on and work it in with a mild wire brush. 

Or, use Eastwood's Aluma-blast paint. Good stuff and will look like natural aluminum. 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2017 at 9:37AM
If you want to paint it, seriously consider the mag wheel cleaner. Aluminum has a tendency to be slightly porous, and it needs to be super-clean if you want the paint to stick and last. That will get it clean.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2017 at 10:11AM
we expect a smokey burnout pic when this is all done LOL
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2017 at 11:24AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

we expect a smokey burnout pic when this is all done LOL

Well then you'd better tell me which paint will make the most horsepower! LOL
But yeah, if I can deliver, I'll be happy to do so Big smile It's not like I'm building a muscle car here though LOL

So the Wheel Cleaner tip was pretty good! That removed all the dirt and all that's left now is corrosion and some color cast. That's fine for me, I want it to look old but taken care of instead of brand new.
So it will get a protective coating like that now and then it's ready to throw it on!

Right now I'm thinking about getting a stock air cleaner housing  that I could transform so it will accomodate the new big carb. That would make it a bit more...undercover LOL
1988 Porsche 944
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2017 at 5:37AM
As you notice, not much to report at the moment. I'm actually waiting for warmer temperatures here for the intake installation.
Might take a look at window mechanism maintenance meanwhile...

Oh and these came as well. I thought what the heck, might as well renew these ones too while am at it:

Hopefully I'll have more news soon Smile
1988 Porsche 944

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2017 at 6:06AM
Originally posted by Torino_Chris Torino_Chris wrote:

As you notice, not much to report at the moment. I'm actually waiting for warmer temperatures here for the intake installation.

Well I guess I should have said that earlier! Temps rose promptly and I'm happy to report that my intake installation went flawlessly SmileSmile At least it seemed like, we'll have to see if it works properly or not Tongue

I had a buddy help me with it. We thoroughly cleaned all the surfaces, vacuumed everything too, then rehearsed how to thread the needle a couple of times (because of all the stuff that we had to manouver around: dizzy, vacuum lines and so on). When we were sure we knew how to do it I applied the RTV and we started the installation.
It was much easier than I had thought to be honest LOL But that's better than the other way around, right? So it was smooth sailing with the gasket and manifold, we hit the spot, put it the bolts, screwed them in by hand and then followed the torque sequence in the manual to secure it. Smile
Piece of cake! Big smile

So for today I'm pretty happy. Next step will be to figure out where all the vacuum lines connect now. The configuration is different now, without the EGR Plate and with the new manifold and new carb...I guess I'll come up with a couple of questions soon LOL

Okay on more pic:

1988 Porsche 944
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2017 at 6:44AM
Lookin good man!!  Those smoky burnout pics will be up before we know it LOL

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2017 at 9:31AM
Looking great Chris!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2017 at 7:25AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

Lookin good man!!  Those smoky burnout pics will be up before we know it LOL

I'm still not convinced it'll make so much more power. You know, lipstick on a pig and all LOL

So while Vince is generously helping me in the background with all the vacuum stuff and details, I'd like to share this with you in the meantime. Look how I was greeted the other day thanks to spring arriving here in Germany Big smile

1988 Porsche 944
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2017 at 6:25PM
man thats a sweet color green

ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2017 at 4:44AM
i second that!
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
73 Gran Torino H code (H is for HOTROD !!)
72 F code 4-Door

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2017 at 6:51AM
I'm looking forward to sharing more photos when it's out running again!
I've never even seen it clean and in the sun yet myself LOL
1988 Porsche 944
legend onirot View Drop Down
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2017 at 12:39PM
beautiful car
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 1:58AM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

beautiful car

Thanks Smile It does have its problems underneath though. I'll post about that soon.

Alright, I have owed you all this update for too long, so here it finally is. Actually, it’s going to be a bunch of updates on different topics, but let’s start from the beginning.

So as I said I was in close contact with Vince (72FordGTS) because he has done the exact same modification on his car, which has the same engine. Once I had the new manifold installed, it was time to reconnect all the vacuum hoses, which I have never dealt with, so it was a little confusing for me at first. I had marked and photographed every hose that I had to unplug in order to know how to connect it back together, but then Vince pointed out I could actually simplify a lot of it.

So I got rid of 2 Solenoids and 2 temperature controlled vacuum valves. I couldn’t get those handy little plugs like the ones  on the new carbs’ vacuum connections anywhere here so I had to improvise. It turned that those black little plastic retaining clips (that I had ordered as spares with all my other parts) fit very tightly into the vacuum lines. So I took all the very short parts of vacuum line that I had left over now and used these, together with the retaining clips, to plug open vacuum connections. I know some will say this is ugly and should be done better, but I’m not building a show car and it got the job done:

At this point I felt like I was so close to finishing everything! But of course I wasn’t. There were several little parts that I had either forgotten to order or didn’t know I would need them:
1) a fuel filter (that was stupid on my part. Ordered a wrong size, returned it, but didn’t order the right one right away, so I forgot about it LOL)
2) That little spacer/gasket/adapter plate that goes between the Edelbrock manifold and the Holley carb so it seals properly
3) The transmission kickdown extension

And of course I found out about these slowly, one after the other. So there was a lot of waiting for orders involved. Thankfully I could get everything from a shop in Germany and didn’t have to order in the States.

The manifold/carb plate

And then I still had to wire the choke, at which point Vince suggested to use a relay and connect the Pertronix module to it as well, so everything gets straight 12 volts from the battery. Sooo I went and bought parts again, put everything together and installed it tentatively. Still have to clean that up properly.

Oh, and I also had to improvise with the fuel lines. The carb came with connectors and a T, but the way it was meant to be installed with the hoses they supplied there was absolutely no chance to connect it to the original fuel line of the car, not even without a fuel filter. So I had to come up with a freestyle solution. It looks a bit complicated but I think it’s the best solution:

I then connected the throttle linkage and kickdown lever, checked the correct operation of both and then it was finally time to put the battery back in and see if and how she runs! Shocked
It took a bit of cranking until the fuel was there again, but then...watch this:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/edohq12zom9fhqh/First%20Start.MOV?dl=0

It ran flawlessly, no weird behaviour or sounds of any kind Smile It even felt smoother than before, and it starts a little quicker, too. Since then I have only driven it through town to bring it back from winter storage, but it seemed to run fine under normal driving conditions. I didn't really put my foot down yet, but it did seem to have a little more punch now. I'll have to properly road test it soon though.
So yeah...looks like we did a good job Big smile And even if we hadn't, now that I've done it all once I could probably do it again in a fraction of the time. Thank you all for your great advice on this! Clap

1988 Porsche 944
72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 3:42AM
Great update Chris.  Nice video, I am sure you must have felt good to get to drive the car again!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 4:57AM
chris they make a fuel line for holley double pumpers it looks like this
Chrome Fuel Line For Holley 4150  Double Pumper Fits Chevy Ford Sbc Bbc 3/8 hose
 and for the filter... i put mine in the hose between the frame and the inlet of the fuel pump Wink

Edited by californiajohnny - 16-April-2017 at 5:02AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic