The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Living with a '73 Sportsroof in Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 6:00AM
that was one happy "ya-hoo"!! in the vid  LOL
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 11:38AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

chris they make a fuel line for holley double pumpers it looks like this
Chrome Fuel Line For Holley 4150  Double Pumper Fits Chevy Ford Sbc Bbc 3/8 hose
 and for the filter... i put mine in the hose between the frame and the inlet of the fuel pump Wink

those chrome lines have always been a PITA for me, I've had to remove the chrome with a drill bit or suck from the flare on every one I've had. i'll try one of these next time http://grahamperformancetubing.com/ before i fight the chrome flare again

also, the carb looks to be a 4160 vacuum secondary rather than a 4150 double pumper, different bowl fitting distances. I've cut the line to the rear bowl & used a stub of rubber to make it adjustable, and some dual feed lines come that way with nice steel braid & fake AN fitting clamps

i like the fuel pump pre-filter also, between the frame and the pump
72 GT Ute

Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 11:52AM
You don't have to cap off the ported vacuum switches if you're not using them. 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 5:55PM
yeah i saw the vacuum secondary diaphram unit but it looks like it has a rear metering block which should be a longer spread like the DP
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 11:28PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

that was one happy "ya-hoo"!! in the vid  LOL

That was my buddy who had helped me do it LOL

Okay I didn't know that there is the possibility to put the fuel filter down there...I could change that.
And the carb is a Holley Street Avenger, not a double pumper!
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2017 at 5:07AM
So now for the less nice update. The more I keep digging into that car the more I get the impression that someone must have "restored" as quickly and cheaply as possible and in order to just make it look good on the outside.
Because on the inside, there is rust. I knew about some of these issues, but not about the whole deal. Basically, there is a lot of rusting going on on the inside of the quarter panels, and a bit less in the doors. The doors are not so bad, but the quarters really worry me because I can't see into the folds.

I think the only satisfying way to treat this would be to take the whole car apart Ouch
So for now I'm treating it with Owatrol Oil, which is rust stopper that creeps into the smallest pores, so it reaches into every fold and so on. It works its way through the rust until it reaches the metal and then isolates the metal from air and humidity to stop the rusting.
So I'm praying it does a good job and that I reach every little nook and cranny...problem is that I'll have to renew it regularly, too.
So yeah, very unsatisfying and annoying!

Oh and while I was at it I noticed the old sound-deadening on the floor was coming off too, so I removed it completely, only to find this:

Yeeey...it's practically through there. At least this is by far the worst spot...I have since treated it with rust remover and then the oil again (will post pics soon), but maybe I should get new metal welded in sooner than later...I don't know. That all wasn't part of the plan Confused

This all just makes me want to take the whole body apart and get rid of all the rust and protect it properly Cry

1988 Porsche 944
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2017 at 10:11AM
don't be a perfectionist, thats not bad at all. thats much much better then most of the cars i have seen. easy fixes from what i see so far. wire wheel on a grinder or in a drill and some por 15 paint.
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2017 at 12:27PM
I agree, that doesn't look too bad to me.  POR-15 then follow-up with an oil based rust proofing and the car should be fine. 

Here is the German POR-15 website:

The only area of any concern would be the rear floor pan.  Even if your wire wheel it and it ends up with holes, I am sure a small patch would fix it fine.  Check the back window for water leaks too.

Maybe some of the guys that know about body work could confirm, but could you not use a panel adhesive epoxy for a small patch panel on the floor if it needs one?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2017 at 12:36PM
As crude as it sounds POR 15 actually adds strength to rusted areas. If there's only pinholes tape underneath to keep paint from dripping through and when it dries it'll be as hard as metal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2017 at 3:09PM
they are correct, don't look bad! the insides of the quarters and areas didn't get sprayed from the factory!!Angry  another thing that works good is SEM rust mort, it's basically phosphoric acid which converts the rust.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2017 at 5:42PM
first thing i was going to suggest is Waxoyl
https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/products/corrosion-protection.html

i guess you have a similar product

I'm going to have my 2011 Crown Vic Police Interceptor treated before it rusts like my 2003 did
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2017 at 10:10PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys, you're right, it's all still manageable. I think my initial reaction was just frustration because I want to finally start driving it properly.
I'lll keep you posted on the development.
1988 Porsche 944

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 9:15AM
Some progress again, yay! The weather has been bad again for the last two weeks (which is just not fair after teasing spring before), so the motivation to go out and work on the car wasn't that big until today.
I now have game plan for the rust I discovered. I covered everything in Owatrol Oil, which stops the rust and conserves the current condition. I'll leave it like that on the door insides and the front part of the quarters. In the trunk area, where you can see it, I'd like it to be cleaner. So I'll paint those areas over with a special primer that is meant to be applied over the Owatrol. This will seal the surface off with a nice and clean grey coating.

Speaking of the trunk: Does anyone have a photo of a trunk as it is meant to look? Because mine is completely bare. No carpet or anything and I can see straight into the quartes. So I wondered what an original trunk would have looked?

Today I also cleaned and re-greased all the window mechanisms, which made the windows run much smoother! Smile While I was at it I also put some grease on the hinges of the doors, inner door openers and trunk hinges. Everything nice and smooth now!

One problem I couldn't solve though: My hood is extremely hard to close. I always have to push it down into the lock with a lot of force and I can feel that it's probably not aligned correctly or something. Just doesn't feel good and definitely should be easier.
But I couldn't figure out how or what to adjust..?

Another problem I have is this:

The passenger side rear window just will not align properly with this bent weatherstrip Confused Probably a common problem? It seems to me like the whole window area is just not so well-designed LOL

I now also cleaned up the new cable mess under the hood. Insteat of several single cables hanging around there is now this one black channel from the engine to the right wheel well, where the new relay is located. (which supplies 12V battery power to the choke and my Petronix module)

The next steps now are:
- buy, cut and install the foil that goes between doors and interior trim panels
- carb adjustments and check of ignition timing
- re-install interior trim panels
- treat and coat the floor in the back with Owatrol and primer
- then install new sound deadening, and then the carpet and back seat

Oh and just out of curiosity: does anyone by any chance recognize what kind of mufflers I have installed there?

1988 Porsche 944

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 10:33AM
those are called chamber mufflers, Flowmaster is the popular brand but you'd need a close look to see if they're real Flowmasters or copies. lots of makers

the number of chambers inside and the internal design controls how they sound
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 2:33PM
Looking good Chris.  Your plan for the rust sounds like a good one.  If you don't expose your car to much inclement weather, I don't think that rust will become a problem.

As for the trunk, there wasn't much of a finish on it from the factory.  Just a mat with some cardboard fillers for the holes on the side.  You can still get reproductions:

Filler Panels:

Trunk Mat:

You can probably make up your own filler panels for a lot cheaper than these repros shipped to Germany.  You can make up your own trunk mat too.

Keep up the good work!
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 5:10PM
i'm not familiar with the fastback quarter windows, but in the pic it looks to me like they have a metal channel that the seal fits into just like the channel for the top of the front windows do? it looks like that metal is bent too, you may need to carefully pull out the seal a few inches to get at the channel and try to straighten it out on both edges then glue the seal back.

Edited by californiajohnny - 27-April-2017 at 5:12PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 10:16PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

those are called chamber mufflers, Flowmaster is the popular brand but you'd need a close look to see if they're real Flowmasters or copies. lots of makers

the number of chambers inside and the internal design controls how they sound

Thanks! I knew that already, what I meant was if anyone might know what model those COULD be. Might have to take a closer look though.

Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

As for the trunk, there wasn't much of a finish on it from the factory.  Just a mat with some cardboard fillers for the holes on the side.  You can still get reproductions:

Filler Panels:

Trunk Mat:

You can probably make up your own filler panels for a lot cheaper than these repros shipped to Germany.  You can make up your own trunk mat too.

Yep, I'm planning to make my own. So cardboard panels that lie flat over the holes, and then some kind of mat on top of everything, right? I could probably get a piece of carpet from a hardware store to make nice mat. But then it would have to be green like the rest of the carpets hmmm....
1988 Porsche 944
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:33AM
Making good progress, Chris!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4
72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:05PM
Yes, the cardboard goes over the holes and the mat covers them up when it's installed.  It's pretty stiff heavy cardboard, more heavy duty than a typical box cardboard.  The factory trunk mats didn't match the interior carpet.  They were all a dark gray like in that one I posted.  You can make it match if you like, but it might be easier to use a gray or black carpet.
Vince

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:27PM
Very thin plywood or even plexiglass would be stronger and more durable for the fillers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic