The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lowering Front End 72 GT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roknxj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering Front End 72 GT
    Posted: 28-May-2020 at 12:50PM
Question?

Does anyone know how much you can lower the front end of a 1972 Ford Gran Torino before you cannot do a front end alignment? I have not been able to find lowering spindels.

Just wondering because I was thinking about lowering my 72 about 2".

Here is the current look of my 72.

Here is another view.

Thanks,
Joe
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2020 at 5:24PM
2" shouldn't be a problem!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
roknxj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roknxj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2020 at 5:00AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

2" shouldn't be a problem!

Thumbs Up thanks
Thanks,
Joe
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2020 at 5:43AM
how much weight is missing off the car?

setting ride height is a last step after the car is as heavy as it's going to get,

Chip on Overhaulin is often last minute cutting the front springs Wink

72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2020 at 6:45AM
rock has a good point! although a 72 is somewhat lighter in the bumper area than say a 73-79 car.
 but when i removed my original cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds (replaced with short headers and aluminum offy intake) the front of my car raised nearly 1" Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2020 at 1:07PM
I dropped the front of my '72 to 25-1/4" measured from the ground thru the center of the wheel to the apex of the fender opening. 25" was my target. Front end alignment was the last thing done and it worked.
Had to cut the coils twice to hit 25-1/4".
roknxj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roknxj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2020 at 4:19PM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

I dropped the front of my '72 to 25-1/4" measured from the ground thru the center of the wheel to the apex of the fender opening. 25" was my target. Front end alignment was the last thing done and it worked.
Had to cut the coils twice to hit 25-1/4".

Total how much coil did you cut? and from stock on your car what was measurement before?
Thanks,
Joe
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2020 at 4:47PM
When your car is done, you need to know the relaxed height and the compressed height of the coil. Then note the height of the fender well at full compression and the difference to your new target height. Once you have this info., there are a few youtube videos with ratios/coil cuts to achieve a desired compressed height. The videos I found were NOT scientific...perhaps there is a better source for direction.

It took me two cuts.....I obviously did not want to cut too muchAngry.

I made a jack stand adapter to support the lower control arm at the chassis mount location, disconnect the shock, sway bar, and the strut rod and drop the lower control arm for a quick cut.

When your car is done, you may get lucky and it will already be at an acceptable heightSmile.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2020 at 6:47PM
obviously different spring rates can make a difference as far as how much to cut! but a general rule of thumb i use for most stock springs is 1/2 a coil = 1" drop.. so i theory 1 full coil = 2" drop? but cut less and test fit it... you can always cut more if needed! do the same amount on both springs i do one side then reassemble but not tightening the ball joint nuts (so it can be taken back apart easily if needed, then after you satisfied overall then go back and tighten the nuts and install the cotter pins Wink)
 when lowering it down to check, roll the car back and forth a couple feet to allow any side loading of the tire to relax Wink do this each time and after both sides are cut and assembled! just dropping it straight down off the jack it will sit higher! once you roll it back and forth a few feet a couple times you see it sits lower so you don't go too much...
 if you look at one end of the spring you'll see  an end that isn't flattend cut from that end, straight across from the end coil 180 degrees will be 1/2 a coil removed. straight up from that original end to the next coil will be 1 full coil... if that makes sense?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply