The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LTD II modification questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LTD II modification questions
    Posted: 18-December-2015 at 2:16AM
I may be getting an LTD II Sport and have some questions. Info: car has A/C, 351 Windsor, no power windows, locks or seats. Bench seat interior.

If I get this car, I want to install a set of springs to lower the front and rear down over the wheels a bit. Wheels will be 17 X 8 front and 18 X 9 rear. 235/55-17 front, 255/55-18 rear. Will install a Lares 841 box and HD CVPI shocks. My typical mods on these cars.

Will this combo fit under the fenderwells of this car? They will on a Torino, but these have a different body. Any special issues?

What springs and how much to cut to achieve the results I want? Front fenders should come halfway down the tire sidewall top, but no further. Rears should be about the same.

I will be tucking the bumpers on it, so how will this affect the value? These are not high-dollar cars, and this will be morphed into a somewhat more mean appearance, but I don't want to ruin the value.

Appreciate the advice.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2015 at 6:47AM
The value is nada or nothing I have asked 3200 for mine and had no responses.As for the one you are looking at it has 76 elete front springs for big motor.Rears are moog self leveling I think. Shocks are gab air on rear and monro on front I believe, again for elete.All bushings are poly .etc.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2015 at 8:04AM
Joe,
 Not sure if you remember my '79 Ranchero I drove to Dawsonville, it uses the same front fenders as an LTD II. I previously had 255/50/17's on it(20's were on it at Dawsonville) with 17x8's w/ 4.5" back spacing using MOOG 9012 (Lincoln Mark IV)front springs with 1.5 coils cut off and it never rubbed anywhere. The rear springs had about 1 coil cut off with new pigtails formed. I have pics, but Supermotors.net if FUBAR'd right now for some reason. I can't really recommend what spring or how many coils to cut off due to vehicle differences(obviously). KYB gas-a-justs all the way around.

Edited by aquartlow - 18-December-2015 at 8:05AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2015 at 12:20PM
it could depend a lot on the back spacing! how much clearance on the outer edge of the fender at the tire on the torino? and the same regarding the inside edge of the tire?
 i would imagine the inner fender wells are the same, the outer shouldn't be any more than maybe an inch flatter than a torino fender??? just have to try them and see how they fit, have someone turn the steering and watch the tire clearance all the way around lock to lock both sides Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2015 at 1:35PM
1st off.  Congrats and Good Luck!  Hope you get it.  I love LTD II's. 
Maybe try cutting the existing front coils, to see if you can get the desired drop?  That's what I did with my LTD II wagon.  Otherwise, the only place that I know of to purchase drop springs is Eaton.  They'll be $500 shipped, and give you a 2" drop from factory height.  That's the most Eaton is willing to drop.  Then maybe you can cut some more from there.  I recently called around looking for drop springs for my '79 Tbird, and Eaton was the cheapest place I could find, with the biggest advertised drop.  Or, maybe some kinda bag system?

Otherwise, I'd go with Todd's ideas.  He got a huge drop with his Ranchero, using off the shelf springs, that he cut. 

Before:

And Todd's Ranchero:

Edited by n2fordwagons - 18-December-2015 at 1:43PM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2015 at 2:03PM
My take on this would be anything that has worked for your torino will work on your LTD II. Both cars sit on the exact same chassis platform. The body will actually give you a little more play room in the back. The same in the front. Having both the 74 and 79 rancheros and doing frame offs on both has taught me this. Hope this helps Take care Dan 
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2015 at 2:49PM
Here's hoping you can work something out.I also love those ltd2 and would love to see one with bumpers done right.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2015 at 3:00PM
Wheel wells (flared area) are bigger in the rear than torino, front inner fenders are the same, on the same chassis, so anything that fits torino will work. Rear bumpers are the same as 74-76, but fit the look of the later cars better (designed for big bumpers, not tacked on). Front is just a rework of the Elite clip.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2015 at 2:19AM
Good luck on this, I love the deuces. But I thought you were trying to get rid of a bunch to make some room?
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2015 at 2:39AM
Here's a few pics'

I have 2 sets of coil springs that have been cut. Both sets are about 14" total length1) Moog 9012, originally were 17.63" tall and the Moog 6446 were 16.73" tall. These only leave around 1" of space between the lower control arm bumper and the upper coil spring "bucket", this is with BB/C6 and all accessories. I actually cut the bumper in half to lower a bit more when I installed the current HD F150 springs(Moog 80100).

jmen22 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmen22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2016 at 4:11PM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

n2fordwagons, do you still have this one?  An identical twin (or this one if you no longer have it) live just around the corner from me.  Small world..

Edited by jmen22 - 01-March-2016 at 4:34PM
ssregal39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssregal39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2016 at 3:42PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Here's a few pics'

I have 2 sets of coil springs that have been cut. Both sets are about 14" total length1) Moog 9012, originally were 17.63" tall and the Moog 6446 were 16.73" tall. These only leave around 1" of space between the lower control arm bumper and the upper coil spring "bucket", this is with BB/C6 and all accessories. I actually cut the bumper in half to lower a bit more when I installed the current HD F150 springs(Moog 80100).
What hood is that?
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2016 at 4:27PM
I wouldn't concern myself with NADA. They are always going to be niche cars and will be worth what someone is willing to pay for them. On the other hand, none of the changes you propose are irreversible with sockets and wrenches. Have at it! 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2016 at 5:42AM
Originally posted by ssregal39 ssregal39 wrote:

[/QUOTE]
What hood is that?[/QUOTE]
 Sorry not to get back to you sooner. It is just an LTD II hood with a '69 Cougar Eliminator scoop attached, the hood is cut through with a fabricated ram-air/fresh-air ducting. The engine pulls very little to no air from under the hood.

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2016 at 11:31AM
77-79 Ranchero and LTDII are the same front ends.
They also share the same HOOD from the 74-76 Elite.
the fender flare is the same on the all the cars except the 72's with the lower front edge.
 Tires and rims on the front fit the same on all our models. Rear is where the Torino is different, the Torino has a straight side rear quarter where all the others have a much wider flared wheel well.

The same rims and tires that were getting DESTROYED on the Torino, barely touch on the Elite!
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply