The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Major Redmond" / lynchster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2017 at 4:21PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

That loose wire with the socket looks like the one that supposed to go in the top hole. It should be part of the main dash harness. My car has the lower hole empty and that's the way it was from the factory.

I thought the one with yellow wires looked awfully butchered in.
While investigating I've found several wiring peculiarities.

1. Still searching for parts of the radio harness.
2. Switch at the rear of E-brake has 4" of dangling wire
3. Left courtesy light is butchered in. It works but is spliced into the door switch wiring.

Edited by lynchster - 28-March-2017 at 4:23PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2017 at 5:28PM
Lost one whole weekend looking for wires that don't appear to be there despite the fact that they should be.
Maybe the car didn't have courtesy lights but I've never seen a Gran Torino without a warning lamp for the parking brake.    .

Edited by lynchster - 02-April-2017 at 5:31PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2017 at 6:19PM
mine doesn't or ever had a parking brake switch!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 5:24AM
Whaaaat? Is the wire hanging there for a switch?
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 9:39AM

I plan to use the existing wiring pig tail that goes into the tach as a jumper.

That loose wire with the socket looks like the one that supposed to go in the top hole.  It should be part of the main dash harness.  My car has the lower hole empty and that's the way it was from the factory.

I made a mistake when I posted this originally.  As you saw in the other thread, this is just a loose socket, and apparently used.  The parking light socket is not part of the dash harness.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 3:58PM

As you saw in the other thread, this is just a loose socket, and apparently used.

The question being: Used for what? That "free range" light socket doesn't appear to have anywhere to go.

Edited by lynchster - 03-April-2017 at 3:59PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 4:01PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

mine doesn't or ever had a parking brake switch!

How do you know? What I mean is, that looking at my harness it doesn't appear mine ever had one either and a previous owner at least considered installing one. I wonder when the feds made them mandatory.
Odd though that my car doesn't have an "ambient temperature sensor" either but there is an unused plug just above my high beam switch for it.

Edited by lynchster - 03-April-2017 at 4:04PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 5:09PM
??? why
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 12:48PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

As you saw in the other thread, this is just a loose socket, and apparently used.

The question being: Used for what? That "free range" light socket doesn't appear to have anywhere to go.

I can't type lately.  I meant this socket has NO use.  I don't know why it's there and as far as I can tell it's an unused socket.  That's how it's been on my car forever and there are no missing spots for light bulbs that I can see.  I double checked the wiring diagram and can't find that socket or wires on there.  Maybe one of the guys more familiar with the cluster swaps will know.  I thought maybe it could be a warning light, not used because of the gauge package, but none of those lights use those color wires.

The only circuit Ford lists using a green wire with a red stripe is circuit 904 COIL OR ACCY. TERM. OF IGN. SW. TO ALT. REG. IGA. TERM.  There is also a listing for sequential lights using this wire, which the Torino's obviously didn't use.

As for your ambient temperature sensor, not all '72's got them.  What engine does your car have?  Do you know where it was built and if it was a US or Canada market car?

Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 12:55PM
it could be for the ALT warning idiot light for the STD clusters or the only other thing close to that would be the ash tray??? but that should be lt blue with a red stripe
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 1:30PM

As for your ambient temperature sensor, not all '72's got them. What engine does your car have? Do you know where it was built and if it was a US or Canada market car?

Mine is a Q code car. It doesn't have the ambient temp switch, I just located the connector for it hanging around by the high beam switch.    
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 3:55PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Mine is a Q code car. It doesn't have the ambient temp switch, I just located the connector for it hanging around by the high beam switch.    

When I get home this weekend I can check my books to see if your car should have had this from the factory (if you want).  Not all engine/transmission combos got this system.  My car didn't have this convoluted system. Are you looking at adding the Electronic Spark Control to your car to make it "factory correct"?   If not, I'd be happy it's gone.
Vince

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 4:41PM

When I get home this weekend I can check my books to see if your car should have had this from the factory (if you want). Not all engine/transmission combos got this system. My car didn't have this convoluted system. Are you looking at adding the Electronic Spark Control to your car to make it "factory correct"? If not, I'd be happy it's gone.

No, not at all. I was just mentioning it as the car was prewired for it despite the fact it wasn't set up for it. Makes it even harder to believe I don't have the wiring for a parking brake warning lamp prewired. I'm assuming your lamp wiring leads into the main harness and is not a stand alone harness. CJ says his car never had one either.

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 4:42PM

??? why

I dunno. Maybe they were bored?
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 5:57PM
FWIW i checked the brake on the 74 parts car it doesn't have one either??? and it had a sport cluster??? maybe they deleted that on the 74's to save wire for the stupid seatbelt interlock thing on the fender ConfusedLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2017 at 12:22PM

FWIW i checked the brake on the 74 parts car it doesn't have one either??? and it had a sport cluster???

I'm just about to the point of wrapping this one up. I'll give a quick once over this weekend to make sure I didn't miss cut wires and then it's time to start hustling. I'm still planning on painting this year.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 3:36PM
I spent a lot of time disassembling and cleaning under the dash. I figured since it was so clean I'd make an attempt to fix the two cracks from the backside before I start throwing parts back in.
I also thought I'd try 3M panel adhesive to do it. It's bit tricky to do while it's still in the car. I had to take all of the screws out of the bottom. I'm only fixing small areas at a time because the two halves don't have the same contour any longer.

You can see the slot for the heat control on the left. I only did the first the two inches because that's what lined up when I used a wedge under the one side. I think when I get them both done I might use nylon washers as spacers so I'm not drawing the dash too tight to the frame.

Pain the ass trying to glue it using a mirror to see what I'm doing. I wound up mixing the epoxy and putting into the corner of a plastic baggy so I didn't have adhesive going all over the place. Not my greatest work but my first time using a mirror to do it.

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 4:19PM
mirror Thumbs Up i use a mirror when welding the top of exhaust tubing! if you don't think that's not a trick! try it LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2017 at 5:25AM
No! I hate exhaust work.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2017 at 2:49PM
it's not bad when you have the proper tools Wink

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic