The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Major Redmond" / lynchster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2012 at 6:23AM
Beautiful job. I must be part chick, since I love shiny things and fresh paint, LOL.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2012 at 8:00AM
THANKS for the pic underneath!

THAT really shows the nice look of the Body color underside against the black frame and drivetrain.

Tells me how to do it on mine when I get to that point.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2012 at 4:50PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

THANKS for the pic underneath!
 THAT really shows the nice look of the Body color underside against the black frame and drivetrain.
 Tells me how to do it on mine when I get to that point.

If you go that far consider the stainless steel brake and fuel line kit. It's a bit pricey but it will never be easier to do the lines. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 3:49PM
I'm a little disappointed with progress so far. I was really hoping to have had the engine and transmission in the car with the chance to fire the engine. Oh well, so much for the best laid plans.
Though normally a slow period (winter) we started gutting the shop to make for better use of time and space over the winter. Looks good so far with a lot more open space and new lighting. It's probably going to take another weekend to finish though.  
Two new goals. Still get the car running and help my brother inlaw rebuild the engine in his Harley before spring.
We'll see, Ive been before.  

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 1:25PM
I decided to forgo rebuilding the tranny for now. I've settled on replacing the seals, cleaning it up and painting it for now. Maybe I pull it out for a rebuilt when I swap the engine or maybe I ditch it for a five speed. This side was rust free for the most part.  

I think the green primer matches the factory paint marking pretty well. I can't make out the green and yellow one on the left side however.  

Edited by lynchster - 13-December-2012 at 1:26PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2013 at 1:10PM
I finally got around to the shifter and linkage this past weekend. Now I'm debating about rebuilding the shifter too. Then again it worked fine before. I could use it as one of those projects down the road to keep me busy and not buying another car to rip apart.  

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2013 at 2:03PM
Started on the equalizer assy after I gathered up the parts. Some rebuilding will be in order. Anyone have a line on rebuild parts? 
The arrow points to where the hole is elongated under the rivet.

I've seen the engine side assy reproduced for other Ford's. Not so much luck just yet.

The frame side doesn't look to be in bad shape. Was in desperate need of lubrication, though the nylon bushings look serviceable but I think I can find them.

Edited by lynchster - 06-January-2013 at 2:04PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 2:35PM
Chuck,take the little time and disassemble the shifter assy,not very hard.took me about 2.5 hrs to redo 2.not alot to wear out,I think all i hard to get were the roll pins.and lube the gates/plates.check out my progress thread for some pix.The plastic for the z-bar are available as is the wire clip.my yoke for the adjust rod had also egg shaped, I was able to purchase the yoke end for a mustang/early torino.this on was held in by a cotter pin.I drilled out the egg shape,and was able to purchase a bronze bushings to fit the yoke to the z-bar,This worked like a charm but I didn't take pix of the repair.Hope this helps,John.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 2:51PM
Here's one of the pix of the my shifter disassembled
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 10:57PM
I beleive all the z-bar bushings (both sides) and the felts are the same as the71-73 Mustang.  As far as the elongated hole the part rivited into the -bar is repoed for the mustang.  It isn't riveted in though, if you want 100% original.  I'd buy one of those and have a bronze bushing put into the z-bar to renew the elongated hole.  I hope that all makes sense. I'm not fully awake this morning.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 3:23PM
Must appreciated info guys. I think I may just take that shifter apart. Why stop there?LOL

Looks like I'm going to lose a good weekend (temps mid 50's) to help out someone by painting the top of their car. Promised myself no interruptions this winter, but what are you gonna do? Maybe I can tear down the shifter between coats.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2013 at 4:27PM
Four weeks worth of weekends later.......... About damn time, too many required projects.
I have to order the seals for the trans yet but I did get some time to pull the exhaust manifolds, alternator, brackets, and pulleys off of the Cobrajet.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2013 at 4:29PM
I'll have some progress pics I haven't posted just yet. More importantly, "bachelor week" starts in just a week and a half so there should be some decent progress made. The goal is to wrap up the interior floor pans and move on to the trunk. 
After 9 years I may have finally come up with a name for the car. I'm letting it ferment for a minute just to get a feel for it. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 1:49AM
"Timeless" or "Decadia" (10 years worth of work when it is done)?
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460

antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 9:05AM
It was great to meet you at the show. Get some work done so we can cruise together. There is nothing like a line of Gran Torinos.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 2:21PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

"Timeless" or "Decadia" (10 years worth of work when it is done)?

Ouch!LOL
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 3:10PM
I started prepping the interior floors because sooner or later the interior is going to have to wind up somewhere other than the garage and my brother's basement.
I did the patch under the right rear seat a bit different from the standard cut out and weld. The area had some pinholes and was "blasted" top and bottom to eliminate all rust. I then hit both surfaces with a grinder and glued the patch using metal adhesive and a few small nylon spacers to keep an even coat of adhesive between the two. 
I wouldn't do this for something like the other floor section I did but if prepped right it's as good as gold for smaller areas.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 3:45PM
nice work Chuck.  I have to do that same  repair on my car.   did you prime the metal before gluing the patch in.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 5:19PM
Originally posted by kversch kversch wrote:

nice work Chuck.  I have to do that same  repair on my car.   did you prime the metal before gluing the patch in.
Nope, bare metal is what the glue adheres too.
I blasted it because of the pitting but the surfaces have to hit with a grinder for bite. Also have to make sure the glue between the two is not squeezed out.
The applicator gun might be a bit salty as an initial expense. I don't know because a friend gave me one of his spares. Secondly there is material loss in the mixing tips. It's best to use a slower cartridge if you can and do as much as you can at one time.
The most important part is first rate prep work. The manufacturers are gluing roof skins on vehicles. The stuff works if the prep is done right.

Almost forgot. I have used this stuff to glue panels and the glue does not like body filler. It will react to it. The solution is epoxy primer over the glue. I use epoxy primer over the glue in all cases. Prepped with 80 grit afterward (do not go through the primer) the filler will adhere to the epoxy primer just fine. 

Edited by lynchster - 12-June-2013 at 5:23PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 1:58AM
Aww, I was just kidding you. I have projects older than most of the members here and have FAR less progress:

'68 Cougar - last touched in '91
'76 Torino - last touched in '84
'89 Bronco II - last touched in '05
etc, etc.

You are Speedy Gonzalas, my friend.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460