The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MSD BLASTER 2F COIL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSD BLASTER 2F COIL
    Posted: 23-November-2016 at 2:17AM
Guys,

Hanging the MSD Blaster 2F coil on the 460 as as I was reading thru the instructions, it states "when installing on a factory Ford ignition system, a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor or resistor wiring MUST be installed." "WARNING: Failure to use a ballast resistor with the factory Ford ignition system could result in personal injury or component failure."

Two questions:

1. Which wire does the ballast resistor or resistor wire go into?
2. If I remember correctly, isn't one wire of the ignition circuit already a resistor wire?

THANKS ALL

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2016 at 4:03AM
Yes it comes right off of the ign switch, IIRC it's a green with red stripe or white with a red stripe
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 4:57AM
John,

So it's the green wire that goes to the terminal marked TACH on the horseshoe coil connector? DAMN, I hate to mount that fugly resistor on my firewall! Need to see if I can find an inline 0.8 ohm resistor to hide inside the engine feed harness convoluted wrap running across the engine to the coil.

Thanks buddy! 

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 6:05AM
the resister wire is under the dash, it's between the switch on the column and the bulkhead at the firewall (inside of the car wiring) i got into some of this stuff when i added a tach in the sport cluster swap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 6:18AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

the resister wire is under the dash, it's between the switch on the column and the bulkhead at the firewall (inside of the car wiring) i got into some of this stuff when i added a tach in the sport cluster swap

Is it part of the coil circuit?

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 6:24AM
yes from what i understand it's on the inside of the circuit, and changes to 12v after the firewall engine compartment (not sure i get that part but) and i think the color changes through out the full circuit???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 7:54AM
i don't believe the aftermarket info on Ford installs has ever been fully / correctly hashed out and is ambiguous at best. late models with points used a resistor wire in the harness specifically for the points coil, when Ford moved to electronic the coil changed as did the resistor wire(s). i say wire(s) because the fender mounted module uses 2 power supply wires, one fed from the Start circuit and the other from the Run circuit. are they both resisted? how much?

i would ohm/ volt the coil power supply wire in your car before doing anything, 1976?

Edited by Rockatansky - 24-November-2016 at 7:54AM
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 8:27AM
Max, yes it's a '76 (460).

Went with the MSD coil for a bit move voltage and I really don't want that ballast resistor hanging on the firewall! Is the supply line the green one marked TACH TEST on the horseshoe connector? Any idea what it should read volts/ohms??

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 8:49AM
my bad joe, i forgot you had the dura spark. yes i'd check wires with an ohm/ volt meter!!! you probably could mount the resistor along the wire just inside the car next to the fuse box LampWink so it wouldn't be seen under the hood Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 9:26AM
might get hot?

I'd wait on worrying about mounting it until you determine if you even need it or not

i have no idea what your 1976 coil power supply wire should ohm / volt to, but I'd compare voltage to normal charging or around 14.7~ish. my best resource regarding 1976 / duraspark voltages would be George Pence owner of the Pantera forum, i'll see if i can get him interested after The Dinner Thumbs Up
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 9:44AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 1:53PM
found an oldy but a goody, if you like your undies twisted Shocked

pertinence begins at the bottom of the first page, Danford has been through the wringer with coils, resistance & impedance

i hate to say it but I'm not sure I'd go mess'n  
72 GT Ute

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 7:06PM
here is what you are looking for... scroll the thread and others have posted pictures...

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 6:55AM
Joe do you have a factory tach?

Johnny will a 1976 factory tach be affected by adding the resistor before the + coil terminal?

just curious whether Joe has one or not Geek
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 8:14AM
i think the 77 and later tachs were a 3 wire deal those kind use a neg. triggered set up the 2 wire inline kind has the pos. power flowing through it to read.
 so i followed the diagram that states to cut the wire past the firewall after the resister wire not sure how this can be 12 volts after the resistor wire (from 8 to 12) but that's how it works. i don't recall replacing my resistor wire for a normal one but i must have and forgot, because i checked voltage at the end of the wire (later) where it connects to the HEI (GM style) and i had 11.8 volts Big smile (resistor wire should knock it down to about 8 volts) i must have changed it and just don't remember---memory not so great as of late Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 10:00AM
i hate to make such a big deal out of it but I've seen several times too many resistors & too low voltage at the coil +

Oldster i know has a 72 Fury, by the time i looked at it he had 3 resistors in the circuit from all the 'mechanics' following the directions. poor thing would barely fire to start, removing 1 resistor made all the difference in the world and he was hesitant to remove the 2nd, that's the way he drove it but at least it started better

i got the ? out to George, waiting ... what the Pantera guys do to relieve the load on their old & fragile ignition switch is to use the factory coil + wire to trigger a relay straight from battery / charge voltage. that way you know double darn sure what your coil feed is, it's not diminished from going through the switch (11.8v) and it's not cooking your switch either. relay baby Hug
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 10:07AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

Joe do you have a factory tach?

Johnny will a 1976 factory tach be affected by adding the resistor before the + coil terminal?

just curious whether Joe has one or not Geek

NOPE... standard dash. I think to keep myself out of trouble initially, I'm just going to clean up my original coil and reuse for a while until I can get this sorted out.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 3:55AM
what year 460/car is this for? I think ballast is only needed if it is pre 1976 ? if you have ammeter vs volt gauge there is a need for this resistor I believe. Aquartlow could better address this
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 7:03AM
There is a resistance wire that comes from the ignition switch that is used on at least a '73 model year through to '79 intermediates, this is true if using a BLUE strain relief Duraspark module. The '77-'79(and maybe earlier) California model intermediates with Duraspark ignition modules could/should have came with a RED strain relief, these DO NOT have a resistance wire to reduce voltage to coil when engine running. The resistance wire has roughly 8.5-9.0 volts while engine running and full 12+ volts when cranking engine. When trying to run 12v straight to an ignition coil causes more current to flow than what a BLUE strain relief Duraspark ignition was designed for, it may idle and run but when a decent load is placed upon engine it will usually die and/or the module will get hot and shut down(or possibly be damaged). If wanting to use straight 12v for a coil that a ignition system will support, the resistance wire can be used as a trigger for a Bosch style relay that can be wired to send full 12v/battery voltage to the coil, but can be easily returned to the stock style coil wiring configuration without cutting/hacking the original wiring.

Now there is a voltage reducer on the back of the instrument cluster, but that is just for a few gauges(oil pressure, fuel sender and water temp), not the ignition system. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 9:20AM
I should also mention I am using msd system and 3g system you had given me info on. Will I still need this ballast ?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 11:57AM
I would say to leave the resistance wire intact if connecting directly to the 2F coil. This may help clear up a few things:
It seems(looking at the supplied diagram) the resistance wire is still in place when connecting the MSD ignition inputs from the original "horseshoe" Duraspark coil connector.

*In General* It is said that if an ignition coil has a resistance value below 1/2 ohm(measured across the + and - coil terminals) or so it can have a "straight" 12v input without issue, over 1.0 ohm usually requires a lower input voltage to keep the coil from burning up/overheating.
Hope this is helpful.

Edited by aquartlow - 24-May-2018 at 12:00PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply