The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 72 Ranchero GT driver/project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2016 at 5:20PM
 Clap good deal! yeah i did something very similar on my ford courier...it originally had the buss type fuses and the fuse panel was mounted under the hood on the fenderwell Dead so they corroded, after two fuse holders broke off, i got a newer style fuse panel from a 90's lumina i think and spliced it into my original wiring ran it inside the fenderwell housing that is an air duct for the floor vent, mounted the fuse panel in place of the vent door! now it's inside the cab and not exposed to the under hood elements, and it's accessible like a normal vehicle Wink i don't need the floor vent thing anyway...if i want fresh air, i just pop 4 latches and remove the whole roof!!!!Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2016 at 9:03PM
Sounds like an interesting truck. Clap

I guess I am on a roll.
Although this time this part wasn't free.

I spent all evening looking online at various ways to do the relays for under the hood. I want more than to just have them bolted on the fender well with wire all over the place, which is what it has right now. Works, but not neat.

I saw a bunch of people using Jeep engine compartment fuse/relay boxes, but these were all Jeep people. Lots of them put videos on you tube. :D

So I start out looking for one of those. See that the local Pick a Part has a few of the right year. But then I remember seeing one that might work on a Ford the last time I was at one of those. So I start googling Ford fuse boxes. The 2000ish Taurus looked promising, but then I start looking on Amazon as I have an Amazon credit card. The few there were a bit too much right now. The Pick a Part has a sale going here, but I've heard that they charge for every little piece, and then there is having to go and take it off myself before finding out exactly what the price is going to be.

So I look on Amazon for Ford engine compartment fuse boxes. Found one from a 2003 Explorer for about $27 including the shipping. Figure that I might as well go with that since given the PaP pricing it might be cheaper or the same after all is said and done, plus I don't have to go pull it. And I can use my Amazon credit to buy it instead of cash, which is really short right now.

This thing has 11 relays if I counted correctly. I need 7 for sure with what I already have on the car under the hood, and having a couple of spares for later additions isn't bad. 2 fan, 2 headlights, 1 A/C, 1 Pertronix, 1 horn. Haven't gotten the A/C or the second fan relays done yet. Worry about the A/C once it is ready to use. Got a second cheap fan temp switch (same thru the radiator fin type as the other one only this one was a LOT cheaper that I was going to use on the 89 Stang if needed but it isn't needed), just need to get another continuous duty solenoid.

I think I am going to mount this where the voltage regulator is currently, as that won't be needed after the 3G alt upgrade. Needs to be hidden more or less anyway, I am going to do the hidden wire thing as well. Since I am already messing with the under hood wiring I might as well. The battery is probably going to end up under the bed, but not positive right now. Either way that should be a good spot, although without the battery to hide it the box will be visible unless I make a panel to hide it behind.
Another alternative spot would be on the outside of an inner fender with a removable panel. I actually saw that done on some car while I was searching for pictures of different fuse boxes. Not sure I like that idea, but it is an option. The guy used wing nuts to hold the panel on, not the best way in my opinion. No, I didn't bookmark that site. :oops: It wasn't a Ranchero, or even an older car.

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 20-November-2016 at 9:07PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 3:31PM
Well, the Civic box will not work for the main fuse box. It is just too big to mount anywhere reasonable.Cry :(
So I am going with my original plan, which is to use a 96 Mustang engine compartment fuse box I have laying around. I will need to split the buss so I have both always on and ignition on circuits, but that won't be a problem. Just have to cut the buss and add a connector after deciding how many of each circuit type I need.
It has 7 or 8 of Maxi and regular fuses each, so plenty of circuits. It also holds 4 relays. Which was why I wasn't going to use it under the hood, I need 7 relays at a minimum. I wish I could have taken more off that car, but found out we had to scrap it without warning and I didn't have time to do much.

I will use some of the Civic harness as needed since my supply of wire is very low. I didn't think the Civic harness came with a fuse box originally, so I am really not out anything other than looking and feeling stupid for not checking the fit quicker. :oops:Ouch

Thanks,
Russ
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 4:44PM
russ, my 92 nissan sentra has an under hood relay panel it's about 1 1/4" X 9" long i believe it holds 6 relays?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 5:26PM
Thanks, John.

The Mustang one will be perfect after I mod it for the main under dash fuse box.
The mystery one I bought off of Amazon will be good for the under the hood one, I just want to find out what it really is. No pictures I can find are showing anything close to that one.
OOPS, forgot to put a picture here. Maybe someone will recognize it.
I'm starting to wish I had just made one using a cheap fuse block and terminal block with separate relays, but under the hood I really would like it to be relatively water tight.

Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 6:07PM
not sure, looks European???? 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 6:25PM
Or Korean? Hyundai is Korean I think?
Although I am betting they put the wrong picture up given my week so far, I just found this after looking at hundreds of pictures on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-XG350-Fuse-Box-Under-The-Hood-/222316267065?hash=item33c3150639:g:JB4AAOSwcUBYK8MB&vxp=mtr
Problem is I don't have the top down view, the seller only put a couple of pictures on his ad.
And the Ebay one doesn't show it from the bottom, as my seller does.
??????

I just took a closer look at the pictures of "mine". The relays are H/Kia just like the ebay one.

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 22-November-2016 at 6:30PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2016 at 12:30PM
Well, I got the box yesterday.
It is the Hyundai fuse box.
And this thing is huge. It is literally about half the size of my battery.
Don't know about using it at this point. I don't have to do this today, so there is no rush. I can wait until I get some money to spend if I decide to.
I'll post pictures at some point. Been under the weather and feel like do-do.
Thanks,
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2016 at 5:04PM
Well, so much for that plan.

I took a look at the box just now after taking pictures. The relays are not the standard Bosch type. Not worth trying to use this box if I had to buy Hyundai relays. It's way too big to use just as a fuse box, the whole idea was to be able to have relays and fuses all in one.

I guess I am just going to forget about this for now, until after I have the bypass surgery and get back on my feet both physically and financially, unless I stumble across something cheap that would work.

Thanks,
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2016 at 5:59PM
I found what I needed. I knew about this but my mind slipped and I forgot when I couldn't find one right away. Embarrassed I need to write this stuff down.
I need to find an engine compartment fuse box from an early 90's Jeep Cherokee.
It's exactly what I need.
Here's a long video if anyone is interested, although it shows a picture of it before you start the video if you just want to see what it looks like. The guy goes through it and disassembles it and rewires it.
I'm not totally impressed with how he does the wiring, but it does show the general idea.
Yes, I'm a wiring snob. Big smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG37G9dBXv8

Now the hunt begins. I am NOT going to try to compromise again.

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 01-December-2016 at 6:00PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2016 at 10:34AM
Now that was fun!
I went to the Pick a Part. And it was a success. [​IMG]
And did I mention fun? [​IMG] I actually totally enjoyed myself for the first time in quite a while.

I spent Christmas money not yet received. Good thing I already know my parents are giving me some.

I got 2 Cherokee fuse boxes. Both with lids, and one with the mounting bracket. One with relays, the other pretty empty. Neither has the maxi fuses, but I would replace them anyway.

I could have stopped there, but the inventory pdf I got online showed a 92 Foxbody Mustang, so I wanted to check it out. Someone took the dash, but left the harness. So I got the main fusebox and just had to cut the harness. I also got two factory relay setups. I really wanted the console, but someone had already taken it.
I will be using this fuse box as the main box for the Ranchero. No modifications needed. Plug and play. [​IMG]

And then I did stop. Would have been some more I would have liked to get, but I don't know how much money my parents will be giving me. And I wasn't sure how much this was going to cost already.

All total I spent $50.27 or thereabouts. Less than $51 for sure.
It should have been $14 less, but the guy at the counter charged me for 2 control modules as he couldn't grasp that the two Cherokee boxes were fuse boxes. After telling him once they were, I gave up. Not worth fighting over.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2016 at 10:37AM
I am not able to get any pictures up at the moment. Somehow I managed to lock it up here.
I'll post them in a bit.
Sorry.
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2016 at 10:41AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2016 at 12:51PM
Clap yeah the pick n pulls around here are charging more for stuff tooOuch
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2016 at 2:42AM
I've scrapped several '97-'01 Cherokee XJ's and kept the entire wiring harnesses including the fuse and control boxes. The main reason was when I was toying the idea of replacing the old 250 in my wagon with a 4.0 Jeep engine, and this would be plug and play. Jeep harnesses are very straightforward and can be adapted to our cars. Excellent choice.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2016 at 6:29AM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

I could have sworn I saw the dash bolted to it in one place. That's why I am having a hard time with this, I am seeing things that maybe aren't really what I think they are. I'd like to take it all out (heater and a/c and all) in as large a piece as possible, don't need 1000 parts laying around to get lost.

I'm starting to think that the rust goes up alot higher than I have thought it did. Need the firewall completely bare at this point.

Russ

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2016 at 12:29PM
Thanks, but if I have to go that far this car is scrap.
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2016 at 4:08PM
For future plans, I bought an 89 fox Mustang console base today. I've been thinking that one of those would go well in the Ranchero. Now, I'm not so sure. Will definitely take some work. Looks like my bypass will be happening before Christmas, so other than a quick test fit today I probably won't be doing anything else with it for now.

I may still just build my own. Might be the best solution. But at least for now I can get this out of my head for a bit. LOL

Like I said, this was a very quick toss it in and see how it looks thing. I know it isn't straight. Just wanted to get an idea of if this would even be worth the effort. Might be.

Thanks,
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2016 at 5:25PM
keep in mind that the torino dash isn't straight (by the radio area)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 2:35AM
Good luck with your surgery!

Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic