The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '79 "White Trash" Thunderbird

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My '79 "White Trash" Thunderbird
    Posted: 10-May-2014 at 3:33PM
Well it's FINALLY spring in upstate NY, so I started the car for the first time in 5 months
It started and ran great. Now it's time to get some things done to it. I've got NOS LTD II/Ranchero/Cougar fenders for it. They don't have "Gills" (Big smile) or this "Character line" (Big smile) (or an antenna hole)

The LTD II fenders really clean up the lines on the side of the car, and are what these cars used in NASCAR. I got inner fenders to patch my existing ones rotted (UCA rubber flappy attachment points)
From there, I've got some little holes to fill in/around the headlight doors, and find a useful replacement for the "sport" mirrors. Both quarters are rusted and fiberglasses behind the rear wheels, so I will need to fix them right. The front seat is the Flight bench type, so the back is twisted, and the comfort weave is un-weaving... I guess I got some work to do...

Edited by Big Bird - 28-February-2016 at 8:18AM
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2014 at 3:59PM
cool! you're "shaving" the gills and the antenna, what about the hood ornament? (i would!)Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2014 at 4:15PM
Yep, It's doomed...I already eliminated the side moldings and a lot of little nubs that mounted them
I started collecting parts to do this

or this

10 years ago. I don't think I'll go QUITE that far, but the idea of a classic NASCAR clone street carLOL

Edited by Big Bird - 10-May-2014 at 4:18PM
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2014 at 4:38PM
i thought you mentioned somewhere about a NASCAR theme, i'd do it! that would be cool driving around! fill those rear quarter windows Thumbs Down
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2014 at 4:48PM
That's one detail I wouldn't do... I've driven the heritage models with no rear quarter window. You MUST TRUST THE FORCE when you change lanes.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2014 at 2:54AM
Looking forward to the final result!  Very cool project!!
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2014 at 3:54AM
That is gonna be awesome. I love race cars!!!!Wink
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
JoeKarasinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2014 at 1:16PM
I've got a super nice pair of used quarter panels for sale. But I am near Detroit so it would be a bit of a drive for you if you're interested.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2014 at 1:43PM
Quarters have a small hole in either side behind the tire, (deck of cards size)but after the fenders are swapped, they will donate sections for patches (contours are perfect)Thanks though
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
JoeKarasinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2014 at 1:31AM
easy fix for sure.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2014 at 1:47AM
That will be pure awesomeness.

I agree, don't fill the side windows. Very difficult to drive and it will look odd - kind of like our '67 LTD. Too much C pillar for the rest of the car.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2014 at 2:33AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

That's one detail I wouldn't do... I've driven the heritage models with no rear quarter window. You MUST TRUST THE FORCE when you change lanes.

Must be the same for base LTD II's then...
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2014 at 10:13AM
Actually, base LTD II and cougar with no c pillar window isn't bad, as the door window is larger and they have a rear side window like a torino. The t-bird uses the same door window as a ranchero, and the little window on the side is purely ornamental.
Joe, you be nice to that 67 LTD!!! (but yeah, the c-pillar/roofline on the galaxie hardtop was SO cool)

Edited by Big Bird - 12-May-2014 at 10:15AM
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2014 at 10:48AM
Be nice to that 67 and pass it on my way!Approve
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2014 at 12:43PM
LOL. That is C's car now, unless we get a certain Torino.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2014 at 1:30PM
Not a lot of progress. Cutting spotwelds on a couple cougar fenders as I need the aprons that the hood hinge bolts to. NOS fenders don't have then. There are about 200 spotwelds on these things. I already cheated and cut the first fender off at the edge where the hood meets the fender to make it easier to handle.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2015 at 10:42AM
Haven't updated in a while, because I didn't get much done except collecting (even more) parts.
73 highback buckets, console and floor shifter, and now a set of Ansen slots. 15x7 for the front and 15x8.5 for the back. They were filthy/greasy, with bad tires. Got the wheels scrubbed with soap and water, tires off the wheels and the wheels run on the balancer to check for bends. They cleaned up pretty well and are straight, so now I get to extract the broken screws for the center caps and make them shiny again.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2015 at 11:45AM
Rock N Roll
73MONTEGO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2015 at 12:38PM
i was wondering how that car is coming along??!! randy do you need any bird parts? i found 3 more up at that yard last saturday!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2015 at 1:23PM
I was thinking about converting to a floor shift, but now I may put a cupholder in the console where the shifter normally goes. (Coffee has to go somewhere).
Johnny, I will eventually need to replace my front turn signals (little racks in both) and I need to figure out if/how the part around my reverse light can be replaced as it is warped. (79 only has a central reverse light with body color plastic around it).

Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic