The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need to tighten up the steering. Suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to tighten up the steering. Suggestions?
    Posted: 18-August-2012 at 5:47AM
After running the SORC this year, I've come to the conclusion that I need to tighten up the steering before stepping up the speed.

As you can see in the video link below, I'm moving the steering wheel nearly 45 degrees back and forth to keep the car going straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHr59VAGYns&feature=plcp

Thoughts have been to do a rack and pinion conversion, or find some sort of steering box that doesn't have all that play in it.  I could care less about steering ratio, turns lock to lock, etc.  For what I'm doing, a higher ratio might actually be better...to reduce steering input or over correcting.  Manual steering might also be preferred to reduce weight, clutter, and complexity.

I plan to call these guys, as they seem to know something about full frame - rear steer Ford conversions.  http://www.wurthitdesigns.com

I might even consider a complete weld-in subframe with steering suspension and brakes...if it upgrades the steering and braking in one shot.

Budget is a concern, but I'm not looking to scrounge parts out of the junkyard or do this as cheaply as possible.  Just need something reasonably priced, that's dead nuts reliable.  Don't want to have something fail at 160+mph.

Edited by Carl - 18-August-2012 at 5:52AM
whifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2012 at 9:16AM
You might want to try adjusting your steering box, checking the tie rod ends & idler arm for wear also. That's way too much slop in the steering. Here is the official Ford way of adjusting it. There are other simpler ways.

1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1972 429 Gran Torino Sport
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150
ASE Certified Master Technician
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2012 at 1:09PM
Your box is bad. The guy who bought my old 77 did a 3.5:1 turn box. This thing has less steering play in it than my BMW. Very tight and responsive. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2012 at 2:31PM
Carl,if your problem is excessive play,of which only you would be able to tell.Don't quote me on this,but I believe there was or maybe still is,a bushing kit for the sector shaft.most times the pitman seal would be leaking fliud but not always.you could adjust the box,but it didn't help any, if the sector shaft was floating on the lower end.Check with an old school ford parts Man.If he's any good he should remember this kit.It's worth looking into,before you spend alot of money on any up grades.John
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Kit Sullivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kit Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2012 at 11:59PM
OK, I have the solution for you:

Go to "Red Head Gears" website, ask for Harvey Foster.

They rebuild steering boxes and make them far, far better than they really have any right to be.

I had him make a custom 13:1 box for my 71 Mustang...that thing feels like it has a modern rack/pinion set-up now, just amazing.

Read about what they do there, you will be amazed.

He is making one for my Torino, $260 /exchange. Best bang for buck there is in steering for our cars, bar none. 
"I'm too old to grow up now!"
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 3:37AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Your box is bad. The guy who bought my old 77 did a 3.5:1 turn box. This thing has less steering play in it than my BMW. Very tight and responsive. 

Any details on that?  Part number?  Supplier?

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 4:06AM
Disclaimer: I used Mark as a guinea pig. It worked out.

His stock Ford 4:1 box would leak everywhere to the tune of a quart every 100 miles or so. When he said he wanted a box to deal with the leaks, I said try this.

The Lares 841 box is a bolt in Ford box, not a Saginaw. It is 3.5:1. The car feels like a go-kart now. Mainly due to the lack of steering play it had before (The linkage was all new, I replaced it when I bought the car, the box was the only weak link left). This car steers like a new rack & pinion equipped Town Car, which is saying a great deal for a 30 year old steering box equipped car. 

Not sure if you have Advance near you. They can get this box in about a week and a half. For the price, I don't think it can be beat. 

Sure there are the 3:1 turn Saginaw's... but then you need to deal with the Saginaw conversion issues regarding lines.. This box is 100% bolt in. Did I mention it's cheap?

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 5:57AM

Disclaimer: I used Mark as a guinea pig. It worked out.

His stock Ford 4:1 box would leak everywhere to the tune of a quart every 100 miles or so. When he said he wanted a box to deal with the leaks, I said try this.

The Lares 841 box is a bolt in Ford box, not a Saginaw. It is 3.5:1. The car feels like a go-kart now. Mainly due to the lack of steering play it had before (The linkage was all new, I replaced it when I bought the car, the box was the only weak link left). This car steers like a new rack & pinion equipped Town Car, which is saying a great deal for a 30 year old steering box equipped car. 

Not sure if you have Advance near you. They can get this box in about a week and a half. For the price, I don't think it can be beat. 

Sure there are the 3:1 turn Saginaw's... but then you need to deal with the Saginaw conversion issues regarding lines.. This box is 100% bolt in. Did I mention it's cheap?

That looks like it's worth a shot before jumping to a retro-fit of something else.

Advance's website says this is an exact fit for my car.  I think my factory box is 3.5 turns, so maybe that's what i had to begin with?

There sure seems to be a lot of gearbox options, both on Advance and Rockauto.  Advance is a pain to deal with around here.  It's not in stock, so I have to go to the store and pay them to order it in, then go back to pick it up, then go back again to return the core.

Think I'm going to order it from Rockauto.  It's the same price when all is said and done, and I don't have to leave the house.

Star

Edited by Carl - 20-August-2012 at 5:59AM
Kit Sullivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kit Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 6:48AM
  The "Red Head" steering box I suggested is a stock box externally, bolts right up. But with a quick ratio and precison needle bearings installed, it feels better than it ever could have before...I strongly suggest it.
  It is probably no more expensive that a stock reman unit.
"I'm too old to grow up now!"
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 7:00AM
Thanks for the info. I will do this as well. What pump should I get? What else do I need to buy? I'm going to redo the whole thing. 
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 7:04AM
Originally posted by Kit Sullivan Kit Sullivan wrote:

The "Red Head" steering box I suggested is a stock box externally, bolts right up. But with a quick ratio and precison needle bearings installed, it feels better than it ever could have before...I strongly suggest it.
  It is probably no more expensive that a stock reman unit.

Too late.  The 841 is on it's way from Rockauto.  If it doesn't perform as desired, I'll look into the Redhead deal.   It's kind of a gamble.  I'll save $160 if it works and lose $100 if it doesn't.  LOL

Edited by Carl - 20-August-2012 at 7:05AM
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 7:19AM
Factory 4:1, I dont think the 3:1 saginaw was ever offered in any of the 72-79s unless a dealer did a swap for a customer. I dont think the Ford boxwas ever even offered in anything other than 4:1, but I could be wrong, not sure on the pre 76 stuff. 

Is Advance that far from you? Mark would have done RA, but Advance is 4 miles from his house.
Paul
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 7:33AM
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

After running the SORC this year, I've come to the conclusion that I need to tighten up the steering before stepping up the speed.

As you can see in the video link below, I'm moving the steering wheel nearly 45 degrees back and forth to keep the car going straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHr59VAGYns&feature=plcp

Thoughts have been to do a rack and pinion conversion, or find some sort of steering box that doesn't have all that play in it.  I could care less about steering ratio, turns lock to lock, etc.  For what I'm doing, a higher ratio might actually be better...to reduce steering input or over correcting.  Manual steering might also be preferred to reduce weight, clutter, and complexity.

I plan to call these guys, as they seem to know something about full frame - rear steer Ford conversions.  http://www.wurthitdesigns.com

I might even consider a complete weld-in subframe with steering suspension and brakes...if it upgrades the steering and braking in one shot.

Budget is a concern, but I'm not looking to scrounge parts out of the junkyard or do this as cheaply as possible.  Just need something reasonably priced, that's dead nuts reliable.  Don't want to have something fail at 160+mph.

Hahahaha, mine's worse than that! Gaaaa. I'm looking into that red head gear thing at the moment. He quoted me about $266 without shipping. Think I'm going to do it.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 8:24AM

Factory 4:1, I dont think the 3:1 saginaw was ever offered in any of the 72-79s unless a dealer did a swap for a customer. I dont think the Ford boxwas ever even offered in anything other than 4:1, but I could be wrong, not sure on the pre 76 stuff. 

Is Advance that far from you? Mark would have done RA, but Advance is 4 miles from his house.

I can only guess the GT's came with a quicker ratio or something.  It's definitely a Ford box, that much I know.

Advance is only two or three miles away, but it's easily 45 minutes round trip when you factor in traffic, standing in line, dealing with the guy at the counter, etc.

Edited by Carl - 20-August-2012 at 8:25AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 9:18AM
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

I can only guess the GT's came with a quicker ratio or something.  It's definitely a Ford box, that much I know.

Advance is only two or three miles away, but it's easily 45 minutes round trip when you factor in traffic, standing in line, dealing with the guy at the counter, etc.

I believe the 4:1 Ford box was the ONLY one available even for GT's in 1972 and 1973.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 20-August-2012 at 9:19AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2012 at 12:41PM
Just received the new box.  Looks exactly the same.  I was planning to paint it with header paint given it's proximity to the headers, but it's already painted....with something.  It'll probably be fine.  I'll report back after swapping it in.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2012 at 2:27PM
I think they use 'cast iron' paint from either duplicolor or rustoleum. 
Paul
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2012 at 7:09AM
Let us know how that works out, Carl, please. I need one badly.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2012 at 8:23AM
Yes, please do let us know, since I used my last Saginaw box on the wagon, and I have a '72 Sportroof waiting on one.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2012 at 9:31AM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Let us know how that works out, Carl, please. I need one badly.

So far, it's sitting in the box they shipped it to me in.

I'll be sure to report back in a week or three.

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2012 at 8:50AM
Haha, thanks. Also, could anyone tell me what pump to buy. I reckon Saginaw is the one? Please give a link!
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2012 at 8:51AM
I just ordered the gearbox from Advance. Cost me 167 or so with tax and core charge. Pretty cheap. I'll let you guys know the details when I get it installed.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
 Post Reply Post Reply