The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy here
    Posted: 10-June-2021 at 5:21AM
Just picked up a 1971 Ford Torino 500. It's my first old car in a while and I figured it would be helpful joining and chatting with like minded people with the same passion and can enjoy as I restore and post pictures with you all. Car is nearly complete except drivers and passengers arm rests and bezels are missing and someone painted the drivers side door panel white. I already threw some wheels and tires on it and sanded down the top where the old vinyl top was cut off by the previous owner. I primered it and just plan to rattle can it flat white to keep rust away until I can afford vinyl. Been driving her around and nothing like the way an old car drives. Got a few leaks i'm addressing this weekend to get her dependable. 
1971 Ford Torino 500, 351C 2V, C4 2DR Hard top just picked up with 7,088 miles, has headers, Edelbrock 600cfm adapted to original intake for now,Power steering,power brakes,discs up front, a/c intact
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2021 at 6:07AM
  Welcome. I would rather have the new car handling in my old car. It still rides nice although it needs a couple more gears to cruise over 75. If you can avoid going back to vinyl, I would suggest it. Post pics when you are upgraded later on.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2021 at 7:22AM
welcome!
 i'd fix any rust and prep the top with good epoxy primer and spray raptorliner on it for a vinyl look then it will be sealedWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2021 at 8:59AM
Yup....get her all sealed up and go from there. 
Welcome to the forum 
Steve M.
SuperDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2021 at 10:24AM
thank you. yeah you cant really compare how they ride vs a new car. It really takes me back in time. I don't see myself driving this on the freeway, just wasn't designed for todays freeway speeds. Just plan to cruise around to local car shows and to the grocery store here and there. I appreciate the opinion on vinyl. I do not know much about it other than it doesn't last. My first instinct was to sand it down and get some primer on there to protect it. We will see in time what I ultimately end up doing with the top.
1971 Ford Torino 500, 351C 2V, C4 2DR Hard top just picked up with 7,088 miles, has headers, Edelbrock 600cfm adapted to original intake for now,Power steering,power brakes,discs up front, a/c intact
SuperDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2021 at 10:25AM
for sure!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2021 at 12:58AM
Welcome SuperDave!  Post some pics of your new Torino when you have a chance. I upgraded you to a full member so you have full forum access.  I agree with you, nothing drives like an old car!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Bicklecl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bicklecl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2021 at 9:45AM
I also can’t figure out how to make my own thread…
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2021 at 2:40PM
Originally posted by Bicklecl Bicklecl wrote:

I also can’t figure out how to make my own thread…

You did start your own thread, but your weren't approved as a new member so it didn't show up.  I have upgraded you to a new member, so now you can make posts without approval.

Your thread is here:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2021 at 2:24AM
Welcome! Looking forward to some pictures
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
Bicklecl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bicklecl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2021 at 11:56PM
thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply