The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member from Billings Montana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2018 at 2:34AM
welcome , great bunch of people here .Thumbs Up
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2018 at 1:01PM
Originally posted by The Generator The Generator wrote:

Wow, that is awesome! I contacted them, and they got back to me quickly, but I just don’t have the funds yet to pull off a full serious build quite yet. What are you having them do to your 400?

Until I can pull the trigger on a full rebuild, I thought about doing some easier top end work, like putting on a new 4 barrel carb and intake, cam and headers. Not sure how much hp I can get off a soft rebuild like that but I have some of the parts already, and it would be fun to do. I’d reuse the parts later on the full rebuild. Just not sure how much HP I’d gain without doing the pistons and heads...

I’d love to hear how your build goes, see some pictures and hear about what you have done!

I am doing a complete rebuild, including TMeyer's pistons to bump the compression to about 9.3:1.  I am going to have a custom roller cam, roller rockers, TMeyer's oil system mods, but I am using stock iron heads, with an Edelbrock intake and Holley carb.  I may go with TMeyer's Duraspark distributor with the integrated HEI module if it's available.  Nothing too crazy, but it should make a ton more power than stock.

I did a 4-bbl intake swap, Holley carb, decent exhaust, removed the emission controls for the distributor advance, and tuned the ignition on my 400 before all this.  That stuff alone made a significant difference in power and performance.  Yours being a 73 will have a few more emission controls and the retarded timing set.  If you just did the timing chain, along with the other stuff I did it will wake it up pretty good.  Changing the cam might not be worthwhile with the low compression.  I contemplated doing that, but held off until I could do an entire motor job.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
The Generator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2018 at 6:13PM
Thanks for sharing! Man, It sounds like you are doing your build the right way.
Did they give you any ballpark idea what the hp rating would be after the build?
What Holley did you go with?

I was going to pull the trigger on doing a powerful rebuild and then we had to have money for a down payment on a house- I’m still not totally over it yet haha! But a house is a very good thing :)
56' Ford Pickup
73 Gran Torino Sport
1 Amazing Wife
3 Crazy Kids :)
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2018 at 11:15AM
Originally posted by The Generator The Generator wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Man, It sounds like you are doing your build the right way.
Did they give you any ballpark idea what the hp rating would be after the build?
What Holley did you go with?

I was going to pull the trigger on doing a powerful rebuild and then we had to have money for a down payment on a house- I’m still not totally over it yet haha! But a house is a very good thing :)
Thumbs Up and a garage 4x the size of the house! (never enough space!!!)Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic