The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member from Billings Montana

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member from Billings Montana
    Posted: 30-October-2017 at 6:59AM
Hi,
New member from Billings Montana. 
I recently inherited my Dad's 73' Gran Torino Sport. It's in fairly good condition, and my dad absolutely loved his car. He often took it to local cruise ins in the Portland Or area. 
My Dad inherited the Torino from his father in 1983. His dad worked for Ford and was given
the option upon retirement to get a gold watch or something to commemorate his time, or a discount on a new car. So, he chose the discount. Now 44 years later, I'm the third to own this cool old Torino.
I've built street rods in the past, so needless to say, my creative juices are flowing with what I can, and what I should do with this car. It needs to be brought back to some level of quality. My dad was partially color blind, and he had the car painted a gm teal green. It doesn't even come close to the interiors green, which we always found humorous and endearing. It's got a factory 400cu and C6 in it, so I am looking forward to either building that motor up, or dropping something else in.
Anyway, great forum. I'm looking forward to gaining some wisdom , insight and enjoying other people's journeys on building and enjoying their Torinos as well.

The Generator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 7:15AM
BTW, I tried uploading a picture of the car, but can seem to get this to work...
goliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 8:10AM
Welcome from another newbie!
Geary Oliver
Grand Coulee WA.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 8:25AM
Welcome!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 12:43PM
Welcome to the forum.  I am in the midst of starting a 400 build for my '72.  TMeyer Inc is the place to contact at the very least for pistons (he's the expert on these engines).
Let me know if you have trouble getting a photo posted.  Here are the instructions here:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 1:02PM
welcome! cool story
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2017 at 12:03AM
Welcome!! Can't wait to see the pics
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2017 at 12:27AM
welcome.  great story

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2017 at 12:36AM
Welcome!  Looking forward to your progress and pics.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2017 at 4:45PM
Thanks everyone. Man, I've tried posting pics for hours and for now I'm giving up.
Im on an older mac, maybe that's it?
Anyway, thanks again!
56' Ford Pickup
73 Gran Torino Sport
1 Amazing Wife
3 Crazy Kids :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2017 at 4:53PM
Thanks for the info on building a 400. I'll contact them for sure.
I've never built one, but it sound like it can be done from looking at their site.
If I can get 400hp out of it, I will be happy.

Curious, what is your goal for your motor?
56' Ford Pickup
73 Gran Torino Sport
1 Amazing Wife
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2017 at 2:14AM
welcome and i'd love to see someone with a 400 use the 351c 4v heads on one,bet it could easily mae 400hp with 9-1 compression and a .500+ lift cam and still be mild.

Edited by MrSmog - 02-November-2017 at 2:15AM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2017 at 7:58AM
Even with the 2V heads, a timing set and cam really wakes the 400 up.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 11:34AM
Originally posted by The Generator The Generator wrote:

Thanks for the info on building a 400. I'll contact them for sure.
I've never built one, but it sound like it can be done from looking at their site.
If I can get 400hp out of it, I will be happy.

Curious, what is your goal for your motor?

TMeyer Inc can easily help you get 400 hp from a 400.  He has 400's stroked to 434 making some serious power, check them out here if you're interested:

For my engine, I am looking for somewhere near 375-400 hp and 450 ft-lbs.  I am probably sticking with the stock Iron heads, using TMeyer's pistons for 9.3:1 compression, and going with a roller cam.  I'd also upgrade to roller rockers, and stainless valves.  I am hoping to get my engine out in the next month and then figure out exactly what I am going to do.

When you are trying to post the pictures, are you trying to upload to the site or are you trying to use a photo from a third part page?   Try uploading to the site directly, just make sure your photos are resized to 800x600 (or close to that) and are less than 500 KB's in size.  If it still doesn't work, you can always email me the photos and I can post them for you.

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2018 at 2:03AM

Hi guys, let’s see if this works- still attempting to load a pic, this time from my phone...
I just had the rear ended gone through and upgraded- I had a posi with 3:50’s put in and now next is the motor...
56' Ford Pickup
73 Gran Torino Sport
1 Amazing Wife
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2018 at 5:05AM
Welcome! Very sweet ride!Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2018 at 1:18PM
Nice GTS!!  Have you decided what you are doing with you engine build yet?  My 400 is being built now at TMeyer Inc.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2018 at 2:33PM
nice!!! yes the pic workedBig smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2018 at 4:03PM
Wow, that is awesome! I contacted them, and they got back to me quickly, but I just don’t have the funds yet to pull off a full serious build quite yet. What are you having them do to your 400?

Until I can pull the trigger on a full rebuild, I thought about doing some easier top end work, like putting on a new 4 barrel carb and intake, cam and headers. Not sure how much hp I can get off a soft rebuild like that but I have some of the parts already, and it would be fun to do. I’d reuse the parts later on the full rebuild. Just not sure how much HP I’d gain without doing the pistons and heads...

I’d love to hear how your build goes, see some pictures and hear about what you have done!
56' Ford Pickup
73 Gran Torino Sport
1 Amazing Wife
torino335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2018 at 4:13PM
welcome
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2018 at 2:34AM
welcome , great bunch of people here .Thumbs Up
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2018 at 1:01PM

Wow, that is awesome! I contacted them, and they got back to me quickly, but I just don’t have the funds yet to pull off a full serious build quite yet. What are you having them do to your 400?

Until I can pull the trigger on a full rebuild, I thought about doing some easier top end work, like putting on a new 4 barrel carb and intake, cam and headers. Not sure how much hp I can get off a soft rebuild like that but I have some of the parts already, and it would be fun to do. I’d reuse the parts later on the full rebuild. Just not sure how much HP I’d gain without doing the pistons and heads...

I’d love to hear how your build goes, see some pictures and hear about what you have done!

I am doing a complete rebuild, including TMeyer's pistons to bump the compression to about 9.3:1.  I am going to have a custom roller cam, roller rockers, TMeyer's oil system mods, but I am using stock iron heads, with an Edelbrock intake and Holley carb.  I may go with TMeyer's Duraspark distributor with the integrated HEI module if it's available.  Nothing too crazy, but it should make a ton more power than stock.

I did a 4-bbl intake swap, Holley carb, decent exhaust, removed the emission controls for the distributor advance, and tuned the ignition on my 400 before all this.  That stuff alone made a significant difference in power and performance.  Yours being a 73 will have a few more emission controls and the retarded timing set.  If you just did the timing chain, along with the other stuff I did it will wake it up pretty good.  Changing the cam might not be worthwhile with the low compression.  I contemplated doing that, but held off until I could do an entire motor job.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2018 at 6:13PM
Thanks for sharing! Man, It sounds like you are doing your build the right way.
Did they give you any ballpark idea what the hp rating would be after the build?
What Holley did you go with?

I was going to pull the trigger on doing a powerful rebuild and then we had to have money for a down payment on a house- I’m still not totally over it yet haha! But a house is a very good thing :)
56' Ford Pickup
73 Gran Torino Sport
1 Amazing Wife
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2018 at 11:15AM

Thanks for sharing! Man, It sounds like you are doing your build the right way.
Did they give you any ballpark idea what the hp rating would be after the build?
What Holley did you go with?

I was going to pull the trigger on doing a powerful rebuild and then we had to have money for a down payment on a house- I’m still not totally over it yet haha! But a house is a very good thing :)
Thumbs Up and a garage 4x the size of the house! (never enough space!!!)Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply