The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member in Buffalo NY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member in Buffalo NY
    Posted: 16-April-2021 at 7:09AM
I bought a '73 Gran Torino about three weeks ago and there's a story behind the car. One of my best friends passed away two and a half years ago. He was about twelve years older than me and I got to know him through a mutual friend. Over the years I hung out at his service shop as well as his collision shop. He was an local stock car legend and was one of the most winning drivers in the modified class locally. I restore old items in my spare time (like gas pumps, signs, etc) and one of the items I purchased around the time of his passing was a 1970's bumper car. I ended up restoring it to resemble his modified number 09 racecar, I even had his painter paint the racecar colors on the bumper car for me.
In the 1980's he was in California (for some reason) and bought this '73 Gran Torino (and another car) and placed it in storage. I had seen the car once and didn't think much of it but when he passed away his eldest son got the car. He made it road worthy and had a few minor body issues repaired (vinyl top was replaced and the rust under it was also repaired). About a month ago, he decided to sell the car and buy another that his Dad gave to his sister instead. We listed it and within a week I decided to buy it myself. I own a '56 Chevrolet restomod and a 2000 Plymouth Prowler but I really think the car had potential so what's one more car right? I've been slowly detailing the car to make it a head turner again. Every evening and weekend I've been working on it so I can enjoy it this coming summer. It's unique because it's a hardtop Sport with a 429, and bucket seats with the center console. Even though my friend didn't drive the car it's nice to know I have something he owned to enjoy. Thanks for having me!
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2021 at 7:35AM
Welcome and thanks for caring for another nice old Ford.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2021 at 9:32AM
The memory of your friend will live on! Enjoy and welcome.
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2021 at 1:56PM
Welcome to the forum! I upgraded you to a full member so you have full forum privilege's.  That's a really cool story about your Torino. The 429 or N-code cars are the rarest of all the GTS.  Post some pics of he car when you can.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2021 at 3:30PM
welcome! cool story, i too have restored a gas pump and windshield paper towel dispenser from an old station, as well as collecting over 350 different qt oil cans.
 post pics when you get a chance... of everything Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2021 at 5:29PM
  Great story. Your friend must be smiling down on you. Yes please on pics. Cannot get enough to satisfy the masses. What is the VIN if you don't mind sharing? First five or door tag maybe.
wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 5:26AM
Engine compartment before...

Engine Compartment today.

Trunk before

Trunk today

Front view

Passengers side

Another right side pic

Interior pic

Wheels... hand painted the black over

At home in the ManCave/Shop

From the rear

odometer

N code, Sport Hardtop

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 7:03AM
  Great set of wheels and sweet garage. Not sure what you are looking to do with the Gran Torino, it looks great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 7:10AM
   Are the seats factory?  Is the paint medium goldenrod?

Edit:  For some reason, I am unable to fine the code page with all the juicy details.

Edited by handsofstone - 17-April-2021 at 7:26AM
wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 8:47AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Are the seats factory?  Is the paint medium goldenrod?

Edit:  For some reason, I am unable to fine the code page with all the juicy details.

They're factory seats but I think they may have been recovered (the front seats have to original upholstery on the sides and backs)

The color code is 6F, Gold Glow
wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 8:51AM

Great set of wheels and sweet garage. Not sure what you are looking to do with the Gran Torino, it looks great.

Just cleaning her up, she just needed "finishing" so a few weeks of evenings and weekends cleaning, painting, and fixing loose ends got her looking cruise night ready. Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 9:01AM
  Found it. Gold glow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 9:09AM
  No idea what you paid for it but I would say it was worth it based on being an N code and pretty much original. Are the body and control arm bushings in good shape?
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 9:22AM
love this!!!! Ultimate sleeper 
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 9:38AM

No idea what you paid for it but I would say it was worth it based on being an N code and pretty much original. Are the body and control arm bushings in good shape?

$10,500.  (I also received the original wheels and their old inspection sign that was hanging outside), I'm pretty close to the family. I could probably sell it and make a few bucks but I want the car because it's a nice keepsake from my late friend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 10:00AM
  You are fortunate to have such a tight relationship with his family. I am sure they are happy to see it in your hands where it has meaning to you both.  The only thing I would change is the grille logo. My OCD would make me move it to the center.  LOL

I lost a good friend years ago and helped to find homes for a lot of firearms and ammo. I accepted a nice silhouette pistol and a van load of reloading/casting equipment as a gift for my help.  He was one of a kind.  Brings back lots of good memories.

wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 10:06AM

You are fortunate to have such a tight relationship with his family. I am sure they are happy to see it in your hands where it has meaning to you both.  The only thing I would change is the grille logo. My OCD would make me move it to the center.  LOL

I lost a good friend years ago and helped to find homes for a lot of firearms and ammo. I accepted a nice silhouette pistol and a van load of reloading/casting equipment as a gift for my help.  He was one of a kind.  Brings back lots of good memories.

Nice! I think that's what it's all about, good memories!
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 1:07PM
Beautiful car, it reminds me a lot of mine when it was nice.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2021 at 3:45PM
wallster , I’m a few hrs east of you, just a bit below Utica.

Dfox
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2021 at 2:06AM
Very nice Torino!!  Did you get a Marti Report?  I am curious how many N-Code formals were made in 1973.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2021 at 3:44AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Very nice Torino!!  Did you get a Marti Report?  I am curious how many N-Code formals were made in 1973.

I've considered it, I'm curious as well.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2021 at 7:43AM
very nice! pumps look good tooThumbs Up as far as moving it to the center of the garage... i'd take that silver car off your hands to make more roomWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2021 at 8:26AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

very nice! pumps look good tooThumbs Up as far as moving it to the center of the garage... i'd take that silver car off your hands to make more roomWink

You might want to grab the red and white one too!

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2021 at 10:35AM
Hi and Welcome! Nice car!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2021 at 11:06AM

I have no idea how I didn't notice that! thanks for the keen eye! (btw, that was on there like that when I bought it!)

All fixed!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2021 at 9:42PM
of the tri fives... i prefer a 56! but with the belair separated side trimWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
wallster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2021 at 7:25AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Rec'd the Marti report... only 201 N-Code (429-4V)/U-Code (C-6 AT) in a '73 Gran Torino Sport 2-door hardtop. I don't know if that means beans to anyone or the value of the car but it's interesting.

Edited by wallster - 19-April-2021 at 8:23AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2021 at 12:24PM
Thanks for sharing!  Like I said, N-codes were by rarest.  FWIW, there were 938 1973 GTS Sportroofs N-Code fastbacks in comparison.  Yours also looks like it was equipped with the Rallye Equipment group, which gave the car the competition suspension, and the gauge package.  
Vince

GTS.org Admin
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2021 at 7:15PM
Wow! Beautiful Torino! Thanks for sharing! :)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2021 at 2:40AM
absolutely beautiful car.  welcome aboard wallster
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
 Post Reply Post Reply