The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: 11-May-2020 at 3:33AM
I'm a first time Torino owner from south Alabama, but have been a Ford guy for nearly 40 years. Most of my builds have been early. 64.5 - 73 Mustangs, 65 Comets, Early Broncos, F100 trucks and 73-79 4X4's. 

I picked up a 68 GT formal top/roof a few months ago. It's a clean, basically rust free, 289/2bbl/auto car that had to have been from out west, based on the lack of rust and the DOD sticker on the windshield. The car had no motor or transmission when I bought it, but the wiring hadn't been butchered either. I picked up a 289/C4 from a 68 Mustang a few weeks ago and it had everything from the fan, alternator, PS pump, all brackets, complete to the transmission lines that matched perfect to the aftermarket radiator I installed. It was definitely worth the 12 hr round trip drive to get everything you need in one shot.

My goal for the car is to convert to a 4 speed. I already have the correct toploader and shifter, and I have a late model ('88) 306 roller motor with AFR aluminum heads, '71 connecting rods, TRW forged flat tops, windage tray and full balanced assy. I need to round up a set of pedals and will probably install a hydraulic clutch. I still have to come up with the correct flywheel and make sure everything works with the Lakewood scatter shield. My first purchase was a set of Torq Thrust D wheels. 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2020 at 5:32AM
Welcome to the forum!  It sounds like your bring a wealth of experience.  Your new Torino looks really nice, and with the 306 roller and toploader it will be a really cool ride. We'd love to follow along your projects, so feel free to start a project thread.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2020 at 2:44PM
yeah looks like a good straight solid car!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rhett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2020 at 12:22AM
Just about finished with my shop and can get started on my 68. Looking forward to doing my first Torino.

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2020 at 1:36AM
Looks Good!

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2020 at 2:42AM
 nice, what size?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2020 at 3:50AM
welcome...  nice car and good looking shop.  the sad thing is... that shop is not gonna be big enough.  lol.  it doesnt matter how big you build it... it'll never be big enough.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Rhett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2020 at 4:43AM
It's 24X24, and building a 12X24 lean to off the back to keep my Bronco. If this was 25 years ago, it would be way too small. I would need room to take on 2-3 projects for other folks. I used to be a pack rat, but I learned to live much more frugal as I've grown older. The only thing going in the shop is the Torino and my tools. I have two sb motors I'm going to store under the work benches, and one toploader. I'm designating the 18X24 portion to the car, only. The 12X12 pad on the front is also going to be very helpful when I just need to pull up and not need the whole shop area.

Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2020 at 2:05AM
Very nice.  Just imagine what it would have been like if we were that smart when we were young. 
Steve M.
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2020 at 2:54AM
Awesome Bronco! you have some nice vehicles.  Keep us updated on your progress...  and post plenty of pictures.  we love those.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2020 at 8:51AM
Originally posted by Steve M. Steve M. wrote:

Very nice.  Just imagine what it would have been like if we were that smart when we were young. 
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2020 at 1:15AM
Nice shop and that is a really cool Bronco too. My favourite Broncos are the 78 to 79 trucks.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rhett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2020 at 3:04AM
Still have a lot left to do, but I won't have to work on the ground again. Ceiling and lights are next, then the walls insulated and covered. I can stop and take a breather on my weekends now that I can keep it in them out of the weather. Still gotta build the lean to for the Bronco. Only thing staying in the shop is the Torino and tools. Hope to be posting some updates on the build by late summer.

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2020 at 9:07AM
Love seeing shops. I am going to price materials and keep dreaming for now. Yours is coming along nicely.
 Post Reply Post Reply