The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to the Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the Forum
    Posted: 01-March-2020 at 7:48AM
Hello everyone 

My name Is John (Jean) I’m new to this forum but an old time fan of Gran Torino’s
I’ve owned 3 GTS fastbacks In the 80’s 

Decided to relive the experience and purchased a 1973 GTS in 2016, Originally I just wanted to have a nice weekend cruiser, started fixing one thing after another and lost control lol, the car has been off the road and in a major restoration since fall 2016, I’m expecting it to be back on the road and driving again this spring (finally)!

JPX
John
1973 Ford Black GTS Fastback
351 CJ 4V
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 8:00AM
Welcome! We need pics!
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
JPX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 8:04AM
Just got to figure out how to load on I pad Lol

John
351 CJ 4V
JPX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 8:17AM
From what I read I cannot post pictures as a Brand New Member
John
351 CJ 4V
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 9:01AM
Welcome Jean!  I have upgraded you to a full member so you will be able to post photos.  We'd love to see the Torino you've been working on.  I am just next door to you in Ontario.  Is you car a fastback?  What engine does it have?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
JPX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 9:51AM
Hello Vince,

I’ll tell you all about my Torino in a few, first let me tell you that I’m just overwhelmed to find out YOU are the Torino.org administrator!

I just read a biography this morning that YOU wrote about your (family) history with The 72 Torino, the part about the steering ratio and response got my attention I looked everywhere to learn more because I had already pretty much accepted that there was nothing much to do other then major mustang 2 conversion ( almost unthinkable) the research lead my to Torino.org.

I joined back in January because the previous owner of my car is a member and I wanted to read all about his car (now mine) 

So wow! your story is awesome! 👍 and I have a crazy story too!

My car is a 1973 Gran Torino Sport Fastback, 351 CJ, C6, Competition suspension with big sway bars, buckets, console, full instrumentation, AC, rear window defrost, delay wipers, I added power trunk and a nodular case with posi and 3.50 gears, the car was a special order triple black, got the Martie report and ford 99 docs.

Wow! 
John
351 CJ 4V
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 9:52AM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
JPX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 10:02AM
this is the car(s) that started it all mine and my best friends, I owned both of them in the early 80´s 
John
351 CJ 4V
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 10:02AM
welcome
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2020 at 12:55PM
Thanks for the kinds words!  The steering upgrade makes a big difference on these cars. I used a Cancraft out in BC to build me a customer 12.7:1 Saginaw steering box with high effort.  Night an day difference over the stock box.  You have to modify the steering coupler and change the high pressure line, but it's pretty much bolt in.

Your car sounds great too, Q-code with competition suspension and all the desirable options. Is it a Canadian car?  Love the old pic too.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2020 at 3:51PM
Welcome aboard. Need lots of pics to satisfy our pic fix.

Edited by handsofstone - 03-March-2020 at 3:34PM
JPX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2020 at 1:37PM
Hi again Vince 

Yes she’s a Q code, built in Georgia, got her in New Hampshire I imported her myself and drove over to the USA get her, not an easy process lol, the American border dude was joking that we steal all the good ones lol...

After 3 1/2 years off the road, the car is almost done now, I’m going to start driving it this spring!

So there’s now going to be a phase 2 for steering and suspension upgrades and a few other cosmetics 

John
John
351 CJ 4V
JPX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2020 at 1:41PM

At the US / Canada Border
John
351 CJ 4V
JPX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2020 at 2:29PM

One of the first car show summer 2016
John
351 CJ 4V
JPX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2020 at 2:30PM
John
351 CJ 4V
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2020 at 5:55PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply