The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to this forum. Just some newbie questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972grantorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to this forum. Just some newbie questions.
    Posted: 09-December-2009 at 12:24AM
Hello. I just wanted to say that you all have got some really nice Torinos. Well a little about me. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan with the 1140 Military Police Co. from the Missouri National Guard and just bought my first classic car. I just have a few quick questions. First one, can bucket seats from any mid size 1970s Ford be bolted into a 72 Gran Torino with a factory bench, if not what has to be done to make them fit right? Last one, what is the bolt pattern, offset, and backspacing of the factory wheels? I'm pretty sure that the bolt pattern is 5x4.5. Thanks for any infomation you all can provide.
72 Gran Torino Fastback, 351 Cleveland, 3 Speed Auto
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 5:08AM
Thanks for your service!.

Bucket seats from any 72-79 Midsized will fit.. You might need the stud in the floor, I'm not sure, but they will fit the car.
5 x 4.5".. should be 15x6 with a 3" backspacing, I believe. Not sure on the 14"
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 6:29AM
There's lots of room for any type of factory or aftermarket seat with some modifications.

Example:

1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 2:55PM
Thanks for joining us and especially thanks for your service.Clap
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 3:54PM
Welcome! Hurry home and enjoy your Torino!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
1972grantorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972grantorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 9:33PM
Thanks so much for your replies. Im flying out tonight for my two week R&R. I cant wait to drive that car.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 9:50PM
most likely the bench seat holes won't line up with the bucket seat mounting legs or you might get a few or on to start with then make new holes for the rest.Ford welds reinforcment plates under the floor where the seat bolt nuts are to give the metal extra strength and is recommended when you add more seat  bolts in your floor for the buckets.now it would be best to tack weld them to the bottome of the floor as well as welding the nut to the reinforcment plate as you don't need someone under the car to hold the nut when tightening the bolts,but if you  can't weld them you can just sandwich it between the nut and just tighten them but will have to use a wrench to hold the nut on the underside.
I can't remember what I did on my first 2 door Torino but I had taken out the bench seat and added 76 Camaro buckets I got from a friends parts car and just put on black seat covers.
I have 99 Ford Explorer bucket seats for my 73 Gran Torino I have now and the Driverside is power which will be nice. basically like said above any bucket seat will fit you will just need to make new mounting wholes and sometimes you need  some spacer blocks between the seat frame and floor to maake the seat sit even as other seats are made to fit the floor that it was designed floor and humps or bumps in the fllor will be different. I can weld so I will just  cut off the bolting tabs on the seat and modify it so it holds the seat in the correct position.

heres a photo of my first 2dr Torino and the bucket seat installed
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2009 at 9:56PM
well enjoy your R&R and enjoy your  new ride and thank you for serving our country and above all please stay safe . I know all of our service people are in our prayers especially this time of year and please pass on to your fellow personel that we thank them for what they do.

God Bless America and all who serve her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972grantorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2009 at 12:39AM
73ProStreetTorino I will be sure and pass that along. I know I can speak for everyone when I say that I think its those prayers that keep us safe.
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2009 at 1:10AM
There is a provision for studs in the floor of every Torino on the inboard side I have already done that on a Ranchero, it's pretty simple . No welding!!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972grantorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2009 at 10:04PM
Thats really good to know b/c I'm not what you would call a "good" welder. Thanks for the info. Smile
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2009 at 5:50AM
Concerning another seat option:

I have 80's fox body bucket seats in my 1972 GTS.
I discovered the fox body seat frames are 2" narrower than the Torino seat frame mounts.

We used some 1/4" thick plates, 3" inches long, drilled a pair of holes spaced 1" apart, and I bolted them to the seat frame, and then the seat floor mount brackets. Worked pretty easy and seats feel better than the original buckets.

You will need to go down to Napa or a hardware store and pick up a couple J clips...there are a type of capitive nut that clips into the slots on the floor pan.
I was looking for pictures, but this is what I found after a quick scan on ebay.

Bolt in affair if you have factory type buckets, but easy enough if you need to adapt seats to work.
I strongly suggest finding original seat frames to make like easy...some of the aftermarket stuff...sucks.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply