The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NorthElites 1976 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2016 at 7:46PM
I used the same bushings on my 72.

Edited by lynchster - 26-November-2016 at 7:47PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 6:02AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Looks good in black. Are you leaving the vinyl top off?

I'm going to install 1/4 vinyl top to my car. I'm not worried about rust problems under the vinyl top. One reason is my paint system. I use maybe even too heavy paint methods.

All my sheet metal are painted with high quality industrial epoxy and polyurethane coat. Method and paints are same what they are using with this LOL

Well, industrial (icebreaker sea boat) paints are here easy to get and they are very cost effective. Very popular with car builders to use it on their projects. Car paints are also very good these days, but prizes are lots of higher. Maybe I spray last coat with normal car paint, just for to get nice and shiny coat on. Industrial paint is quite tricky to paint. Its very hard to get coat on without orange-peel effect.

-Timo

Edited by NorthElite - 27-November-2016 at 6:28AM
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 6:42AM
experiment with a little more reducer in the paint and maybe a slower reducer for a warmer temp Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 6:57AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

experiment with a little more reducer in the paint and maybe a slower reducer for a warmer temp Wink

When I get my retirement days I will move somewhere where people don't know what coolant liquid is LOL
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2016 at 5:21AM
i love the idea of the chevelle body bushings!!   
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2016 at 6:48AM
Working with radiator support

It is sand blasted and need some work to do. Not bad anyway Tongue

Only corners and body mounts need some new metal

Open it and weld new metal...

And same job to do. New metal Tongue

And it is done Smile

-Timo
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2016 at 10:44AM
Beautiful....You really can work some metal. Great job! Clap
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2016 at 4:38PM
well done! yours was a lot better than mine was
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2016 at 3:17AM

Test to install my Champion two row radiator. I choose two row radiator after reading difference between two or three row radiators. I'm not sure is there huge difference, but maybe two row radiator flow better in normal drive. 

-Timo
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2016 at 4:23AM
Originally posted by NorthElite NorthElite wrote:

Test to install my Champion two row radiator. I choose two row radiator after reading difference between two or three row radiators. I'm not sure is there huge difference, but maybe two row radiator flow better in normal drive. 

-Timo

what was the difference between the 2 and 3 row radiators that you read about?
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2016 at 4:33AM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

what was the difference between the 2 and 3 row radiators that you read about?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/1408-cooling-tech-math-cool-geek/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2016 at 5:24PM

Rear bof course bumper reinforcement was rust, of course.

Cut it half, sandblast it and start welding new metal . It is thick material and easy to weld.

After few evenings it looks better. Maybe I send this one to Hot-dip galvanization after Xmas Smile
I still don't have front bumper reinforcement. Maybe I need to build my own patent to hang up front bumper.

-Timo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2016 at 5:43AM
Thank you for the past year and a merry Christmas to all. It's time to close the garage and take a peek into next year Smile

Santa lives here http://www.santaclausvillage.info/

-Timo
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2016 at 12:14PM
You found one for the right side too?
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2016 at 3:51PM
oh wow, i saw the pic but it didn't click in my brain...you got a NOS door skin? NICE!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2016 at 7:05AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

You found one for the right side too?

Yes. Now I have both NOS door skins. I was very lucky to have them. Extra thanks for You Chuck Smile

Just solve what to do with my front bumper reinforcement. I didn't find any picture or any information about Elite bumper reinforcement. I really don't know what is originally inside Ford Elite front bumper. Mine original is lost and replaced with IKEA furniture parts. LOL

I have made some research and finally I have good solution. All know that safety bumpers are typically very heavy. I noticed that Ford Thunderbird 74-76' used same looking bumper like my Elite have. Part number is almost same.

Best part is that Thunderbird 74-76' bumper reinforcement is light aluminum profile. 
All bolt holes are just same like on my Elite 76' bumper. I was lucky to found one of these Thunderbird's part with reasonable prize Smile

100% bolt on part and it is much more lighter than my rear bumper reinforcement. This one is HotRod to me Wink

Maybe I need to cut my front coil springs shorter, coil or one and half. I have Moog 8170 coils and stance going to be probably too high.

Here is some test install pictures.

Painted it with black epoxy. Steel can harm aluminum and paint seal them.

-Timo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2016 at 10:23AM
 Clap nice find on the aluminum interchange!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 7:50PM

Air cleaner did not fit in with a Road Demon JR carburetor. The fuel inlet hit the air cleaner and I have welded snorkel horn to a new location.

Maybe I would have to use spacer with it, but air cleaner had to be cleaned in any case and welding was a quick way to make it fit. I wanted to use the original cleaner, because I like the factory cool air intake horns.

New rubber seal to top. It is home door sea, but fit nice here. Material is EPDM rubber and works good with the fuel but not with the oil. Time will tell How it Works Smile

This time I spray also two component clear coat on.

-Timo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2017 at 4:32AM
New Brake fluid inside the brake system and no leaks Smile

Ac condenser and overflow can installed

AC condenser is from one small European car. Very nice part and it comes with integrated dryer can, filter inside Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2017 at 5:18AM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic