The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NorthElites 1976 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2015 at 2:04AM
Amazing work. That car will be solid as a rock when you get done.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2015 at 2:57AM
Looking good there!
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
1986 Chevy Silverado "Sally"
2013 Chevy Silverado "Blackie"
2014 GMC Sierra
2006 Victory Hammer "Big Red"
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2015 at 3:34AM
Clap great work!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2015 at 6:11AM

First base coat on. There is now epoxy primer and epoxy base coat on. Next I spray some under-seal and seal all the corners. Then I paint it again with urethane coat.

But this is just the moment. To me this is just so beautifully view Tongue 

-NorthElite
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2015 at 6:48AM
WOW!
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2015 at 3:31PM
yes it is! i remember that point on mine, "light at the end of the tunnel"!!!! Clap keep the progress coming!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2015 at 9:08AM
Working with old and rusted frame with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnPAnLpAc2I

Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2015 at 9:26AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rADpPpE2cv4

There is always that one... Cry
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2015 at 12:46PM
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2015 at 7:53PM
 My frame is now zinc coated in a hot-dip process Tongue

Zinc don't need any paint, if you can live with color of the zinc. I don't paint it Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2015 at 3:03AM
Clap i like it! no more rusting Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2015 at 1:57PM
I would still paint it.  Zinc is a sacrificial metal - meaning it will go before the iron.  But if you lose some zinc due to salt spray driving your car in winter or even spring after the snow melts when there is still salt on the road, it may eventually rust.  You are doing a fantastic job with your car - seems like the extra effort may be worth it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2015 at 1:21AM
Electroplating need to be painted but this is hot-dip zinc coated. Painting is not necessary to keep it rust free. Here is picture of my fiends hot-dipped trailer. It is now 16 year old. Daily used and it have seen all rain, salt and lots of snow too Smile

Trailer is dipped in the same place than my frame. Trailers zinc coat is lots of darker now, but it is still 100% rust free.

Fresh zinc is also hard to paint. When you touch the new hot dipped zinc coat, it feel like it would be just waxed. It need to be lightly sand blasted before paint can stick on it. Sand blasting need to be make very carefully. Too much sand or pressure can remove zinc coat out of the frame.

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2015 at 1:36AM
It lasted this long with no coating at all. It'll be fine for many years to come with the new coating.
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2015 at 3:30AM
In the Air Force, I sprayed phosphate zinc coating on everything. Most stuff was left like that, but there were a few areas that got a paint top coat. But painting over phosphate zinc is easier than yours.  But my point is that for many, many years this zinc coating would be bare and exposed with no issues. As a side note though, most all of the base metal that the coating was going over was aluminum and not steel.  So even though the metal doesn't rust like steel does, it DOES oxidize, and quickly. The zinc doesn't break down though.  I think you will be fine with your zinc coating as long as it doesn't get large chips in it from road debris.

Elite is looking great BTW.

Edited by kychevyguy - 19-September-2015 at 3:31AM
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
1986 Chevy Silverado "Sally"
2013 Chevy Silverado "Blackie"
2014 GMC Sierra
2006 Victory Hammer "Big Red"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2015 at 3:45AM
Hot dipped zinc works on fencepoles and guard rails. They stay plated next to highways with salt and snow way more than a car frame is going to see.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Mizzou.Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mizzou.Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2015 at 7:50AM

That is an awesome job! I love seeing you make the metal to fit into hard to get places

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2015 at 6:05AM
Thanks Mike Smile

You asked about Inner fenders elsewhere. Here is some pictures how I build mine front inner fenders. First I bought cheap china made beading machine.

This was my first time to use beading machine. I was seen this machine before only in pictures. I was surprised how good parts I can make at home with hammer and beading machine. Tongue

Weld it on...

All parts welded and primer coat on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2015 at 3:59PM
well done! Clap mine was rotted on the other side from the battery, i just had to make the flat part up front. but that looks great!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 8:05PM
It take some time to clean and paint all suspension parts. Almost endless paint job, but now it's very nice to bolt it on Smile

I go with Moog 8170 front coil sprigs, PST front end kit, Bilstein shocks and Lares #841 steering.  With rear end I have Moog CC803 coil spring and Spohn control arms. Original rear control arms were rust very badly. Most of the parts I have bought two years ago. So I don't remember part prizes anymore and I think it's very good at this time Smile

I hope my coil sprigs is in balance with rear and front end.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic