The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ol' Brown, gone to her new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ol' Brown, gone to her new home
    Posted: 27-November-2012 at 5:12PM
Got the garage cleaned today...

I'll be DRIVING a Gran Torino to Carlisle!!
RE-MOTIVATED to get it done!

Made some measurements to determine IF I was going to play with the T-Bird IRS or not...
NOPE, not going to give me the shorter width I NEED to tuck the 15x10x3.5"BS slots inside the fenders!
Mounted the tires/rims on the IRS, Marked the garage floor, subtracted the measurement for the adapters and set marks on the floor to compare with the rims/tires mounted on the 9".

Mounted rims/tires on the 9" set the Right Side in the IRS Marks (you can see the mark on the floor)...

Went and looked at the Left Side... SAME WIDTH... so NOT enough of a difference to warrant me spending the time to make the IRS happen for Ol' Brown...

Shot of the 9" with the MEATS on it and the 2 T-Bird SC IRS's stacked in the background...

BTW that is 55.75" for the 9" with 295/50/15 on 15x10x3.5" BS rims.
PLENTY of room for the frame but it hangs outside the wheel well!
OL' SKOOL 70's look is what Ol' Brown is getting!!
Sky-Jack the rear, FAT/WIDE meats out back, a NASTY rake, side pipes, and smaller front tires!!
Bottom line is SHE WILL BE ON THE ROAD!!!

Edited by Regul8r - 14-March-2015 at 1:02PM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2012 at 5:20PM
Taking the huge beast truck I picked up to the auction this week for a quick payday.
While I am out there in Topeka with the trailer I'll swing by the farm and grab the rear frame section and bring it home to fix Ol' Brown's frame.
Pull the body off "Brown" and do the frame work.

Put the 5.0 Roller Motor and AOD in it.
9" from the 77 Ranchero with the sway bar
All the front end parts/brakes from the 77 Ranchero too.

Check the Parts Needed Thread!!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2012 at 2:04AM
I was really hoping that the IRS rear was going to make the cut. That would have been a sweet adaptation.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2012 at 5:02AM
It WILL make it in the frame that is still hanging on the wall for the V10 project car.
This is my FAST rebuild of Ol' Brown.
Tired of walking by her in the driveway and not being able to drive her.
So frame repair, new suspension, steering, brakes, the 5.0 motor, Weiand w/Holley 4bbl, and AOD

Daily driver for fun!

Just ordered ALL new bushings(front&rear/upper&lower), ball joints, steering linkage, shocks, and springs... BRAKES next!

Trying to decide IF I am going to weld the frame back together from the yellow 72 or weld/notch/repair the rear section to front of Ol' Brown?
Thinking it will be better to do a good opposing notch cut along the frame rails and join the rear with Brown's front. The frame from the yellow one was just cut at the front of the side rails. But with a couple internal chunks of steel plate and plug/hole welds will make it sturdier than it needs to be. 
It's also easier and makes more sense for me to build the frame and then swap Brown on to it because my lack of space to store all of Brown's stuff and hang her from the rafter while I work on the frame and components build up.  

Build the frame with suspension, brakes, rims/tires, engine/tranny to Rolling chassis.
Roll it out, drive Brown in, pull body off, roll old frame (complete) out, work on Brown's underside, roll new chassis under and mate 'em up.

Edited by Regul8r - 28-November-2012 at 5:17AM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2012 at 7:01PM
Decisions decisions decisions??

DONE/DECIDED

Pulling the full frame off the wall in the garage and using it to build as the platform for this build!
Already stripped of all the running gear and ready to be cleaned/painted and assembled.
Just need to repair the front body mount surface.

I have it, it is here taking up space, COMPLETE and STRAIGHT... time to get DRIVING a decent car and worry about a complicated build later!

My therapist said today this is a HUGE step for me and shows super progress in my adaptation from 26yrs of Military thinking to being a much happier "civilian".
I know it is making me a lot happier knowing the light at the end of the tunnel is coming closer!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 1:36AM
Bravo to you, Carl. I will be watching this with great interest.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 7:32AM
The idea of merging IRS into old chassis sure is interesting. I did a (quick) search and didn´t find out what´s the center section type it has, a Ford 8.8"? Anyway, stick in to your plan to get things going.
Looking forward to progress on this projectSmile
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport
http://public.fotki.com/Granaatu/
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 12:22PM
The IRS is an 8.8" same set up as all the Mustangs.

2.75 Open 9" going in it now from the Ranchero with the sway bar
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2012 at 12:57PM
Rock Auto Santa Claus arrived today!!!

Tie Rods(inner and outer), Sleeves, Pitman Arm, Idler Arm and Sway Bar End Links...

Ball Joints and a stack of Bushings...

Shocks...

MORE coming!
Coil Springs still enroute.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2012 at 5:40PM
Now to drag out all the suspension parts, take them to the Craft Shop, press out all the bushings/ball joints and sand blast them.

OK, BESIDES POR-15 or RUST BULLET stuff I have to order...
what's the best stuff at O'Reilly's/Auto Zone/Napa to get that will LAST and protect.

Paint/Body work is NOT my expertise!
I have a few cans of this...

and some of this...

with the metal sand blasted is it as simple as hit it with the Krylon Rust prevent Enamel??
For the places with some surface type rust...hit it with the Dupli-Color?

Doing this so it lasts, looks good and is CHEAP!

Or do it with Dupli-Color Filler primer and then Paint it desired color?
thinking I do it in the high temp bake on engine enamel, prime, paint and bake the pieces per the directions, THEN press in the bushings and ball joints?

ADVICE?? THOUGHTS??
NOT looking at powder coating or sending off for POR-15 and want to do the parts in color.

The other thought is to do EVERYTHING with Dupli-Color and submit it as a project on their website.
Paint match the frame to the body color.
Maybe this Burnt Orange color with a metallic clear mid coat...

BLACK frame with Bunt Orange rear end, A-Arms, Control Arms, silver colored springs, shock and steering?

The Burnt Oranage will go good with Ol' Browns Ginger interior, with the Black grill accents and chrome ties all 3 colors in to the theme. Easier to order BLACK seats/seat covers and carry the black accents INSIDE too?

ADVICE?? THOUGHTS??
NOT looking at powder coating or sending off for POR-15 and want to do the parts in color.

Edited by Regul8r - 30-November-2012 at 5:54PM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
legend onirot View Drop Down
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2012 at 6:09PM
why would you have to send it off for por-15?  i painted my suspension parts with por-15, then over coated it with the 4q paint (green).  all i did was brush on the  por15 then wet sand it like the can says and spray it. 

hope this helps...

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2012 at 6:14PM
Pic of Ol' Brown in her current color... CLOSE to the burnt orange...

Keep a black accent on the hood and maybe something on the side to accentuate the Scallop on the rear quarter with a Prism Clear on the BLACK only??

Leave the interior ALONE with just a couple BLACK buckets and a recover the rear with black seat cover. The interior is in GOOD condition, rug, door panels, rear panels, Have to go look but I think the headliner is even good minus a couple minor holes.

Bad pic but you can see the color...

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2012 at 6:23PM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

why would you have to send it off for por-15?  i painted my suspension parts with por-15, then over coated it with the 4q paint (green).  all i did was brush on the  por15 then wet sand it like the can says and spray it. 

hope this helps...

Joe I meant order the POR-15 and have it delivered.
Budget is TIGHT on this one, but I AM GETTING IT DONE!
My time and effort with a couple cans of spray paint and have it all drivable.

Thinking just pressure wash, scrape any scale rust and hit it with the Dupli-Color Rust Paint... good test!?
Also no worries later to do any work to it.

TRYING not to overthink it!
Not working so much! lol

So my OTHER brain is trying to tell the analytical brain to SHUT UP! lol

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2012 at 1:54AM
Carl, I am looking forward to meeting Ole Brown in Carlisle. Actually I will meet him when you come for the sleepover before going to Carlisle.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2012 at 1:58AM

IMO skip the spray apply for the under car pieces, brush on a Rustoleum type rusty metal primer & topcoat w/ Rustoleum type paint & use the hardener. any farm stores in KS? i picked up a gallon of Valspar tractor paint for ~ $34 + the hardener

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/257557-valspar-anti-rust-oil-primer-1-gallon.html

reason for the brush on apply is coating thickness, to build up a similar lasting thickness using rattle cans will blow the budget, spraying DuPont from a fancy gun same deal. source of this opinion is from a bud that paints everything, he got a job on the maint dept of the next town over. they were sending the trucks to a body $hop for painting the frames underbodies and the job didn't last from the time it was done in Spring till before the snow flew they were already Cry peeled & rusting. the longtimers on the job poo-pood the idea but his brush on job was still lookin decent after the winter. and the oil base is much more forgiving on suface prep Wink

or was this a frame off show car?

Honeybadger don't care

72 GT Ute

legend onirot View Drop Down
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2012 at 3:39AM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

hope this helps...

Joe I meant order the POR-15 and have it delivered.
Budget is TIGHT on this one, but I AM GETTING IT DONE!
My time and effort with a couple cans of spray paint and have it all drivable.

Thinking just pressure wash, scrape any scale rust and hit it with the Dupli-Color Rust Paint... good test!?
Also no worries later to do any work to it.

TRYING not to overthink it!
Not working so much! lol

So my OTHER brain is trying to tell the analytical brain to SHUT UP! lol

i am malcolm, not joe...

anyhoo...  i see what you are going for, but a quart of por15 is only 40 bucks.  not really a budget buster, BUT it would be alot more prep work before you overcoated.  i dont think you could go wrong any way you did it.  do it they way you want and what would be the best way for you.  im sure it will look great either way...

luv malcolm
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2012 at 6:17AM
Sorry Malcom AND Joe! INSERT FACE PALM EMOTICON HERE!
thanks for the input everyone!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2012 at 6:27AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

IMO skip the spray apply for the under car pieces, brush on a Rustoleum type rusty metal primer & topcoat w/ Rustoleum type paint & use the hardener. any farm stores in KS? i picked up a gallon of Valspar tractor paint for ~ $34 + the hardener

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/257557-valspar-anti-rust-oil-primer-1-gallon.html

reason for the brush on apply is coating thickness, to build up a similar lasting thickness using rattle cans will blow the budget, spraying DuPont from a fancy gun same deal. source of this opinion is from a bud that paints everything, he got a job on the maint dept of the next town over. they were sending the trucks to a body $hop for painting the frames underbodies and the job didn't last from the time it was done in Spring till before the snow flew they were already Cry peeled & rusting. the longtimers on the job poo-pood the idea but his brush on job was still lookin decent after the winter. and the oil base is much more forgiving on suface prep Wink

or was this a frame off show car?

Honeybadger don't care

Not a SHOW car but a good clean DD that can attend events.

That stuff looks good too. under $100 for primer/paint/hardener... I'll look at Tractor Supply and Menards.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2012 at 6:51AM
If you read the actual "instructions" (Instructions? I don't need no stinkin' instructions!) for POR-15 it says it can't be overcoated with any other paint unless you use their special primer.....HOWEVER, I read on-line, then tried it myself, that if you spray a coat of some other paint over the POR-15 while it's still tacky, the other paint blends in and acts kinda like a primer and allows you to put another coat (or two, etc.) of cheaper paint over the POR-15. I did this on the slightly rusty block of the 351W I put in my truck and overcoated it with engine enamel. It's sticking fine so far but it hasn't been on there long. That being said, if it wasn't going to stick it should have peeled off by now. If you brush on the POR-15 it goes a long way and makes a really good base. Except for the drying in the can problems I haven't read anything but good reviews of POR-15. I talked to a guy who painted half a piece of sheet metal with POR-15 , left the other half bare, and hung it off a wharf in the Atlantic Ocean for an entire winter. When he removed it in the spring the bare part was nearly disintegrated and the POR-15 end was still painted .

So, IMO, I would buy a quart of POR-15, brush a light coat on whatever, and cover with Krylon or tractor paint or anything cheap and tough. It'll be smooth, shiny and will outlast the car's owner (probably).
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2012 at 1:40PM
Use a product called zero rust. You can buy in spray can or pt/qt or gal and brush or spray on with your own gun. Great stuff i used it on the ranchero MX frame and underbody. The stuff dries in a stain black (chassis color) and needs no top coat or you can top coat without using any primer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic