The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Cleveland wants to rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2012 at 7:18AM

i'd reserve the DEH cams for applications where the exhaust side needs a crutch, like with the 1975 & up D% heads that have the choked exhaust port, or an app that needs a full length X system restrictive quiet mufflers. the early 2V heads have really good intake/exhaust flow ratio w/o porting, single pattern cams do run really well with them

if you do choose a DEH from any manufacturer, watch the overlap. too much overlap will dog out a Cleveland faster than a drunk chevy guy at the local dirt track. Cleveland heads, with their large valves/cubic inch ratio can get into 'overlap trouble' quick because the large valves work so well in the overlap period while both valves are open at the end of the exhaust stroke & the beginning of the intake stroke. because of the valve size and the canted configuration helping the Cleveland breathe better than any comparable size engine, overlap needs to be kept in check... because the heads work so darn good!

the factory iron 4V heads don't have quite as good an intake/exhaust flow ratio, but single pattern cams still work gangbusters with 4V's too. look to the exhaust system vs overlap when choosing between a single/dual pattern cam with the Cleveland & 429/460

255DEH has 40* overlap, VERY little

265DEH has 55* overlap, very good for street perf, about the limit, may want a little converter?

275DEH has 60* overlap, maybe a hair too much, gonna want a converter & gears

for reference the 268H has 48* overlap, and i can tell you it WORKS in an otherwise bone stock 351C-2V / FMX & 2.75 with cast manifolds. it also stayed in the block when i swapped over to 4V Closed Chamber heads @ 10.25:1 and it still worked bigtime

here's a chart Luc John & his 16 year old daughter(Hahaha) worked up to show how overlap changes with Duration & Lobe Separation Angle
http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/message/1349226140/OK%2C+have+chart

72 GT Ute

Ross6860 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross6860 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2012 at 11:52AM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

I spent 5k delivere to my door and he supplied the engine.It sounds like what you want. 351c stroked,Aussie heads,roller rockers,air gap,540 lift and 10-1....450hp ,pump gas. I've had 1000 trouble free miles so far... Rick

OK, you really got me interested.

$5k for a 450hp stroker, including the donor motor?  That's right about what I figure for parts and machine work doing the assembly myself and supplying the block and heads.

Roller cam or flat tappet?  What kind of power range do you have (when are you "on the cam")?  Max rpm?  When does it start to pull strong?

Mind PMing me your builders info?

This is exactly what I'm looking for as long as I don't need to run a 3500 stall converter and 4.11 gears with itWink.  

I'll save myself the trouble of re-inventing the wheel.

Look forward to your response.
1974 Gran Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12