The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Lazarus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Lazarus
    Posted: 24-December-2017 at 8:30AM
As many of you already know Old Lazarus has a new home with me in Dallas. I picked the car up a few weeks ago in NC and trailered it back to Texas.

The car is still in amazing shape, but needed some attention due to it sitting.

The car is at the shop currently getting:

Engine timing cover set
Engine oil pan set
Engine rear main oil seal
Engine oil
Engine oil filter
Transmission filter kit
Transmission ext.seal bushing kit
Power steering pump assy
Right front brake caliper (sticking)
Spark plug wires
Spark plugs
Adjust carburetor, set ignition timing
Repair left door lock
Clean polish detail-including engine bay

This will be the official build thread for the car as I continue to do work and upgrades.

Upgrades to come:

1: Factory bucket seats (need some help with the mounting process) (sourced seats already)
2: Lokar floor shifter (mimic the factory look of the 4 speed until I do the 6 speed conversion) (do I need to find the hump??)
3: rear shocks are leaking so I will attend to that next time I have a few hours
4: Reconditioning the AC system as it was converted to R-134 or maybe I'll go with vintage heat and AC....
5: Dash pad developed a few small cracks (advise on this topic would be great)
6: Getting the stereo to function. (I want a Bluetooth setup but want to retain the factory look.... any suggestions)

Pictures to come!

Scored a set of factory bucket seats this morning while back in Omaha for the holidays.

Edited by 72Torino - 28-December-2017 at 10:45AM
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2017 at 12:50PM
Originally posted by 72Torino 72Torino wrote:

1: Factory bucket seats (need some help with the mounting process) (sourced seats already)
2: Lokar floor shifter (mimic the factory look of the 4 speed until I do the 6 speed conversion) (do I need to find the hump??)
3: rear shocks are leaking so I will attend to that next time I have a few hours
4: Reconditioning the AC system as it was converted to R-134 or maybe I'll go with vintage heat and AC....
5: Dash pad developed a few small cracks (advise on this topic would be great)
6: Getting the stereo to function. (I want a Bluetooth setup but want to retain the factory look.... any suggestions)

Factory bench mounts on the outer 4 holes in the floor. But the inner 4 holes for the inner bucket brackets are there in the floor. You just need to get the U-nuts that snap into the holes. 

For the dash pad, you could either get a nice used one, or a brand new reproduction. Good used dash pads are around $150. The new reproductions are about $500. 

If you want the stock stereo, but want modern technology, then have it converted. Here is one of the places that do it...   http://www.randbvintageautoradio.com/radio-conversion.html
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2017 at 7:49PM
Merry Christmas! I gotta see this car.
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2017 at 12:33AM
Congrats!  I've seen Lazarus a couple of times.  Beautiful car.  As a matter of fact, Lazarus' rear bumper spent some time in my Montego wagon, Buttercup, as I transported it from Louisville to Knoxville, where I met up with Paul for the exchange.  We were able to find one for him at the Street Rod Nationals. 
As far as a radio, I'm currently using a Retrosound head unit in my Montego.  It fit perfectly.  I'm sure they have one with Bluetooth.

Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2017 at 2:51AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-0-LCD-Car-Wireless-FM-Radio-Audio-SD-Card-USB-Slot-MP3-Player-Remote/302405332122?epid=503199067&hash=item4668c32c9a:g:mYwAAOSwNsRZ33JO&vxp=mtr

here's what I use in my 73, used a factory ford am/fm/cassette head unit and then plug one like this into the cigarette lighter and play it through the fm band. its cheap, it works and lets me keep a stock radio in the dash. I'm pretty darn picky when it comes to my tunes and I am happy with it. if you don't like it, you aren't out much money. This is just one of many of the cheap fm modulated models available, some with blue tooth.

Edited by MrSmog - 27-December-2017 at 2:58AM
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
havanariviera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 6:33AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 6:50AM
I had my original radio converted.  At the time I did mine, Bluetooth was still new and that wasn't an option, so I just have a 3.5 mm jack.  It looks bone stock, but I can plug my phone in for music.  It can be used for phone calls too, although you need to use the speaker phone to do so. 

If you want the stock look, a radio conversion is the best way IMO.  I am sure they offer Bluetooth now too if you really want that.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 3:17PM
as far as bluetooth in relation to cell phones... if you drive a lot like i do and talk on the phone get one of these VXi Blue Parrott B250-XT Road Warrior Bluetooth Headset with Noise Cancellingblue parrott B250XT worth every penny!!! true noise cancelling last for years!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2017 at 10:27AM
I love this car! Personalise it to your taste. Buckets and a 5-speed
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic