The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pics of store bought tail pipes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pics of store bought tail pipes
    Posted: 07-August-2017 at 2:22AM
I searched and searched but couldn't find nay pics of the premade tailpipes meant for other cars on our rides. Some people say the 64-72 gm a bodies fit good and others say the 73-77 fit great as well. What pre made and probably mandrel bent tail pipes have ya'll used and can you post some pics and any tips needed to put them on. I'm lookin to put 2.5" mandrel bent tail pipes on my 73 and am not gonna pay the $600-700 I was quoted by a shop in Louisville LOL    
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 6:16AM
I'M ABOUT THERE AS WELL, SO I'LL BE KEEPING AN EYE ON THIS THREAD!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 07-August-2017 at 6:16AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 8:12AM
Try searching the site, I think we had a thread on this. I think they were using Impala/Caprice tailpipes, but may want to look at Crown Vic pipes as well...
on this page they were talking positively about an aftermarket set-up for G-bodies 
this set

but I could swear there were others about Impala SS and Crown Vic pipes

Edited by Big Bird - 07-August-2017 at 8:24AM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 8:23AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 9:23AM
Pipes for the 1995 Chevy Impala SS, 2.5” mandrel bent, over axle & rear pipes apparently fit. A guy on one of the fb pages tried it and fit perfectly.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 10:03AM
yea I found all those threads, I did miss the pics for the g body pipes but it was still hard to tell what they look like finished and they looked to be short so ends would need to be made. It also looked like the end to the muffler had a odd angle on it.   I was hopin someone could definitively say I used tailpipes for "X" and they fit great with pics. I saw mention of crown vic pipes but it was just speculation from what i saw and they aren't mandrel bent or 2.5". The flowmaster u fit kit is nice but all I need for now are tailpipes, so $365 is a bit much. I'm basically gonna have a local shop run duals on this 302 in 2" with regular bent pipe, neck it up to 2.5" 3"-12" away from the muffler. so when I put the 351/4spd in, they can tie into the 2.5" stuff easily. I'm just tryin to avoid wastin money, rather be able to use half the system for the good motor. I plan to do a X pipe with ball connections at the ends since the pure stock drag rules allow X pipes. I will have the exhaust from the manifolds back on the 351 all mandrel bent or pieced together with mandrel bent pieces.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 10:15AM
Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

Pipes for the 1995 Chevy Impala SS, 2.5” mandrel bent, over axle & rear pipes apparently fit. A guy on one of the fb pages tried it and fit perfectly.

Thanks I'll try and search on the torino Fb pages I know of.

*****found the post on the FB page, seems like a good source of info, so gonna give them a shot. They are spec'd for resonator's between tailpipe and tailpipe tip, but I'll have the shop weld in 2 sections of straight 2.5" pipe in place of them. Dynomax part #54016 passenger side and #54017 drivers side. I'll report back after they are on so to officially confirm they fit, what was needed and with pics. ******

Edited by MrSmog - 07-August-2017 at 11:23AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 1:08AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

[I'll report back after they are on so to officially confirm they fit, what was needed and with pics. ******

Cool. It'll be nice to see what they look like and for fitment before I get to that stage on my car.
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2017 at 3:59PM
*update* I got the tail pipes installed BUT I had larry, his brother daryll and his other brother daryll do the install, so not quite sure how much better a real shop could have done. I think one side sits a tad lower over the rear axle then the other. There are no restrictve crimps though so i'll take it for now. I can always have a good shop tweak them again whenever I swap the 351cj and x pipe in.  I still have to have them tweak one side which seems to have settled down a 1/2". I have a hunch a pro exhaust shop would have very little trouble but it is a tight fit under there with little room for error. I used the summit stainless steel welded muffflers which i think are just a dynomax ultra flo. slight rumble at idle, mellow at cruise with no drone and loud enough to hear it at WFOT. will get pics after i have them tweak the drivers side pipe and I get some tips.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2017 at 6:38AM
i have a pair of stands i made from a brake rotor with a length of 1" pipe welded to it with a long piece of 3/4" all thread down in it with a saddle from a 2" muffler clamp welded on the top of the all thread, i just turn the nut to raise or lower it to the desired height then weld the sections of pipe Wink
 i measure then do a final "eyeball" on the tail pipe before welding the last of it Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2017 at 9:35AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

i have a pair of stands i made from a brake rotor with a length of 1" pipe welded to it with a long piece of 3/4" all thread down in it with a saddle from a 2" muffler clamp welded on the top of the all thread, i just turn the nut to raise or lower it to the desired height then weld the sections of pipe Wink
 i measure then do a final "eyeball" on the tail pipe before welding the last of it Thumbs Up

Oh trust me, soon as I get a shop up with a lift in it, I'll do stuff like this at home and make sure its done right. I have played with the timin, tuned the lil 302 up and can now get it to lay some rubber, even with the 2.79's in the rear. soon as I get the 8" 3.25 punkin from Joe, it should be semi respectable. At least it sounds better now lol
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 12:09PM
So you ended up using  Dynomax part #54016 passenger side and #54017 drivers side?  What are they from? 
Post some pics if you have a chance.  I have to redo my exhaust next year and would appreciate seeing your setup.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 2:29PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

So you ended up using  Dynomax part #54016 passenger side and #54017 drivers side?  What are they from? 
Post some pics if you have a chance.  I have to redo my exhaust next year and would appreciate seeing your setup.

they are for a 94-96 impala ss/caprice/roadmaster from the muffler to the resonators. I will get pics first chance I get. Just keep in mind had i had installers with a fully functional brain, it could look much better under there. LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 10:13PM
Didn't know about the resonators in those cars, so that's excellent info to have about the tailpipes!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8
 Post Reply Post Reply