The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plain Brown Wrapper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2015 at 3:19PM
Wink
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 12:08AM
I like the quiet sleeper idea.
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
1986 Chevy Silverado "Sally"
2013 Chevy Silverado "Blackie"
2014 GMC Sierra
2006 Victory Hammer "Big Red"
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 2:34AM
Yes. I now have the exhaust I'll be using on the car and will be running the pipes tucked down at the 1/4 panels behind the rear wheels. Nice sound, but nothing that would betray the fa├žade.

Carl, how much for the CVPI wheels? I need a 7 or 8 inch width all around (prefer 7 on front and 8 on rear, but not firm on that) and want black rims.

Paint is picked out and purchased for the body, and will start detailing the frame this weekend in anticipation of the drivetrain arriving. I may go with Allan's idea of a side fill tank if the one on the car is too bad inside.

I will be getting the CVPI shocks and springs to set the suspension right, and swapping the 8 inch for one of my 9 inchers with highway gears. I'm kind of getting excited about this build, as is C.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 11:43AM
Late model base Dodge Charger wheels are 17 x 7 black steel wheels. I used the tall CVPI center caps.  They worked out well.   The bolt pattern is 5 x 115, but I ran them on my 77 LTD II for 2 years without a problem
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 1:33PM
The police package Charger wheels are black steel, five spoke, have center caps to match, and are 18 inch diameter and 7.5 inches wide.

The base Charger wheels are 17x7 and they have little holes in them and don't look like normal steelies. The CVPI wheels don't look like 70s wheels either but they look good with trim rings and center caps. I like the Explorer Sport Trac (04-05 or so) caps I used with my 14 inch steel wheels, but I would have had to fabricate longer lug nuts to clear the front hub dust covers. What I ended up doing was running a double set of lug nuts. One set torqued to hold the wheel. The other set about half as tight to hold the center caps. Here's what it looked like on my sedan at enough of an angle that you can tell the front ones stick out:

Those caps are the same color, but the shadow from the wheel well shows how much deeper into the wheel the rears sit without the second set of lug nuts. You have to use the collared style lug nuts from a CVPI or Ranger or Explorer or whatever to secure the center caps.

The problem with 300/Magnum/Charger wheels is they are actually 5x115mm and technically are not a match for 5 on 4.5 inch. It's a 0.7mm difference (about the thickness of a credit card) so the wheels fit either way but "some people" are absolutely insistent that they are unsafe to use that way.

Edited by occupant - 15-April-2015 at 1:38PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 4:42AM
Tom, I would love to find a set of those 17's but wonder if the offset is correct. Alan, I am not so concerned with a correct steelie, as the smaller holes on a more modern version would give it a subtle visual appeal. 14's are out, as they are overwhelmed by these cars weight. Just looked at the offset and width of the 16 X 7 CVPI wheels. Not quite wide enough for the look I am after. Drat. I may have to go with Barnaby's suggestion and call some of my fellow Jeep buddies to see what we can come up with.

I have an idea of what I want to accomplish with the look, but have not found an example online. May get C to photoshop up something for me.

I was going satin black for the body with gloss black trim, but satin is too difficult to maintain properly. So I have decided to go with gloss black for the body and rims, with black highlights in the headlight bezels, tail light lenses, blacked out markers and either chrome powdercoated or black chrome powdercoated bumpers. I want the car to look finished and complete, but not a showstopper or something that attracts a lot of attention. Quiet, relatively quick, and stealthy.

This one will never win an award and will not be a screamer, but I can have fun driving it without being noticed by anyone not in the hobby.

Edited by unlovedford - 16-April-2015 at 5:39AM
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2015 at 12:17PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Tom, I would love to find a set of those 17's but wonder if the offset is correct. Alan, I am not so concerned with a correct steelie, as the smaller holes on a more modern version would give it a subtle visual appeal. 14's are out, as they are overwhelmed by these cars weight. Just looked at the offset and width of the 16 X 7 CVPI wheels. Not quite wide enough for the look I am after. Drat. I may have to go with Barnaby's suggestion and call some of my fellow Jeep buddies to see what we can come up with.

I have an idea of what I want to accomplish with the look, but have not found an example online. May get C to photoshop up something for me.

I was going satin black for the body with gloss black trim, but satin is too difficult to maintain properly. So I have decided to go with gloss black for the body and rims, with black highlights in the headlight bezels, tail light lenses, blacked out markers and either chrome powdercoated or black chrome powdercoated bumpers. I want the car to look finished and complete, but not a showstopper or something that attracts a lot of attention. Quiet, relatively quick, and stealthy.

This one will never win an award and will not be a screamer, but I can have fun driving it without being noticed by anyone not in the hobby.

They do not have a 0 offset like a Torino.  I think it is 6mm.  It is pretty low.  The wheels sit inward just a touch.  I bought mine off ebay as new take offs.  They came with the wheels, tires, hub caps and lug nuts.  The even have the TPMS in them.  I think I paid $267 shipped to my door.  That was back in 08 though.
Tom
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2015 at 12:34PM
Just looked up the offset.  The spot I looked at said 25mm.  I didn't run a spacer and they didn't look way pushed into me.  They are now my winter wheels for my Torino so it doesn't sit on the Magnums all winter.  It will still be a couple weeks before I get to it, otherwise I'd get a physical measurement on backspacing for you.
Tom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2015 at 1:38AM
Thanks Tom. I think I have found a solution for the wheels. It is shocking how a little powdercoat or paint, and a set of Ford centercaps can take a run of the mill wheel and completely change the look.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2015 at 5:38AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Thanks Tom. I think I have found a solution for the wheels. It is shocking how a little powdercoat or paint, and a set of Ford centercaps can take a run of the mill wheel and completely change the look.

Thumbs Up
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2015 at 5:37AM

These are the wheels I am thinking of using. Had them on my Falcon wagon but with some fat rubber, I believe they will look the part on this car. Wheels are late 70's to 80's Mopar Police Ralleys with 2003 Ford CVPI centers. These are really dirty in the pictures but are gloss Charcoal with chrome caps. Ford really did us a favor with the later caps by utilizing the shouldered lug nuts to attach the centers. Those lugs are SAE thread, too, in case anyone is thinking along the same lines.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2015 at 2:02AM
Installed the tires last night on the Police wheels. They look great, but I need to make sure they will look right on the car. Hard to do without a front clip and drivetrain in it. Spent about an hour getting the 9 inch ready for the chunk I am getting from Allan, and will be trying to adapt the Mountaineer's rear sway bar to it once it's installed.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2015 at 2:28AM
Thumbs Up
Good deal.  Looking forward to seeing how those wheels/tires look.  What size tire did you go with?
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
Gran Torino LS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gran Torino LS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2015 at 9:23PM
Here is my option to the Police wheels. Mopar rally wheels and center caps from a '71-73' C body mopar. They are 15x7 and the tires are 235/60R15 front and 255/60R15 Drag radials rear.

Viktor

Save the V8 monsters!

Gran Torino LS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gran Torino LS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2015 at 9:27PM
Viktor

Save the V8 monsters!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2015 at 3:06AM
Viktor, I remember those wheels. Kind of hard to find here now.

Jeff, I ended up mounting 255/70-15 on the rear wheels and 225/70-15 on the front. These tires are wider than you would think, not tall and narrow. What I would like is to get them on once the drivetrain and clip is installed, then install new coils/shocks adjusted to sit the car down over them. The vision I have is to properly fill the wheelwells and only show the top of the rim (or at least very little tire) at the highest point on the fenders. White letters in, so the black paint, blackwalls, dark charcoal wheels and flat stainless centers will contribute to a stealthy attitude that won't attract attention. It will be difficult to make a car this large blend in, but I will try.

Shocks are going to be ordered next week, and will probably go with the CVPI shocks I used on Stripper. I've been very happy with the control they offered on her, even with original dinky springs. Good springs on a 2 door should prove even better.

Speaking of weight, I will probably remove the A/C from this car to reduce weight (and use it on Stripper when the 5.0 gets installed). I have to offset some of the added BBF weight, as I still want it to handle well.
Also:
Removing the rear seat, smoothing that area with aluminum plate, cover it all with carpet. The front seat is torn, but I'll use the upholstery off the rear seat on it with added black vinyl to stay with the stock appearance if someone peeks through the tinted glass. Column shift, standard gauge setup (with a discreet trio of black gauges mounted in the dash) to not give anything away. Kind of want to have some fun with a cheap build, like HotRod magazine did with a Dart several years ago, but slick it up outside. I drive enough Hoopties that I'd like at least one slick, understated car.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2015 at 3:33PM
"hoopties" LOL i didn't think that term made it down that far!  "one hub cap, 'cause 3 got stolen"Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2015 at 5:05AM
Sold the 8 inch rear end out of the car this weekend so it is sitting ready for the 9 inch install. Many thanks for the article on the better way to install the rear end, as it will save me some headaches, I'm sure. Bushings in the rear control arms look excellent, so I'm leaving them alone.

I will be pulling the interior out soon to attend to any rust issues and begin swapping the upholstery from the back seat onto the front bench. I gathered all the front end parts up for the GTS swap, so it should be less painful to bolt up after the drivetrain is installed.

I am open to suggestions on some interior pieces. Do I stay with the standard flat panels or use a set of the black GTS door and rear panels I have in the garage? I really have no preference, just want an understated, yet comfortable seating/driving experience. I will weld in more springs and add new foam to the front bench seat in order to sit more comfortably, not on the floor as these bench seats usually do.

Wheels... I have gone back and forth on the wheel issue for this car. With my Sportroof and F100 gone, I have three additional sets of 17 inch wheels available. The 17 inch Americans I bought from a member here, the 17/18's alloy Magnum-looking set I bought online and the 17 inch Salt Flats off the brown wagon. Plus the steelies. Throw the 17/18 Bullits off the red wagon into the mix and it becomes confusing.

What would you guys do on the interior and wheels?
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2015 at 5:53AM
So, you're leaving it copper, right?

Aren't the 17" Americans gray 5 spokes?  I'm not sure how that will look on copper.  Same with the gray Bullits.  Wait a minute.  Come to think of it, you're Bullits on Stripper are black, aren't they?

Still, I like the idea of copper on black, with the sleeper look.  So steelies get my vote.  Too bad you don't have a set of 17" or 18" steelies.  If I had to choose between your listed options, I'd go with the 17/18's Magnum looking set.

Edited by n2fordwagons - 27-May-2015 at 5:58AM
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2015 at 1:48PM
I would go with 16" C.V. steelies, maybe weld on some clips so you can run poverty caps. Black steel wheels and maybe some 16" stainless trim rings (G.M trucks mid '90s 2500 series).
Spray the car satin black, or just put on whatever color front clip you have, and call it done.
With a good, strong engine and a quiet exhaust, a steep set of gears...Thumbs Up
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic