The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plain Brown Wrapper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2015 at 1:33AM
It will be black, either satin or gloss. Already bought the paint, just have to decide if I want to add the flattening agent.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2015 at 3:45AM
joe, start one of those poll things and have everyone vote on gloss or flat black! it's your car you don't have to do it but it might be entertaining to see opinions?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2015 at 2:12AM
Last night we had a bunch of heavy rain and wind. Went out back to check on things this morning and was greeted with this. The guy that removed and bought the 8 inch rear didn't use the heavy duty jackstands I provided. Instead, he used some dinky ones that were sitting by the mountaineer. The rain and wind softened the surface and the car fell over to the left side onto the trailer, then slid off onto the ground. No rear end in the car, just the one sitting (or was sitting) under it. The picture with the rear end? It was completely up under the car beforehand. Looks like it fell 2 feet down and 2 feet sideways. Since the car is covered by a tarp, I will have to look at the door/1/4 panel/tank/other 1/4 panel/floorpan damage this weekend once I get it off the trailer and back up in the air. The right 1/4 is sitting on the chunk of the 9 inch, the tank is sitting on the left drum of the 9 inch underneath.

Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2015 at 2:28AM
Well dang.  That sucks.  Hope the damage is minimal.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2015 at 2:31AM
OUCH! Not good Joe!

Hope she is ok.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Nomadlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nomadlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2015 at 3:07AM
Sorry,

Hopefully it didn't do any sheet metal damage. For me, whenever I jack stand on anything other than concrete, I have plywood 'pads' made to go under stands.
Marilyn - '72 Ranchero 500 - known her since I was born, and traveled across the states in her; first in the back, then as the driver. Under restoration (and a little modification)

James
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2015 at 1:33PM
Sorry Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2015 at 3:22PM
that sucks! i never use jack stands in the dirt or gravel (thats why) and i'd have used large wood blocks too! (for back up)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 5:13AM
Minimal damage. Dent in the tank, some scratches, rear valence dents, squished exhaust. Not bad for the way it fell. I was greatly relieved, to say the least.

Started cleaning the frame for paint, as I need to go pick up the drivetrain and wheels soon for the installation. I trust the engine and transmission completely, so really a new radiator, some cleaning of the tank/lines, and it should be ready to fire up (once it is all installed). Since I am installing a 9 inch, I really need some advice (quick and condensed) on what front and rear springs to use for a lower stance and firmer ride. All bushings look great in the rear, but I may replace the front ones since I'll have the front end apart.

Oh, and an FYI on the PS box..

This is a side by side comparison of the original Ford box with the box out of the 2005 Ford E350 van I scrapped. The van drove great with great steering feel and quick ratio. It is the same size as my old box, but has 4 bolts on the cover, so I assume it is a late model Saginaw box. I removed everything as a unit, and the arm is indexed every 90 degrees (for front or rear steer), so I believe it will bolt right into the '72 without any hassle. Just an FYI in case anyone wants another alternative. If I can utilize the pump or get a Saginaw pump, it will really drive well.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 1:09PM
glad to here it's only minor damage Big smile i'm surprised that van has the same small input shaft... (your) van at my house has a huge spline at the end of the column (that's why it didn't get sacrificed for a tilt for the torino) Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2015 at 3:55AM

Basically the look I am going for with powdercoated bumpers and slightly different wheels. This or the satin black with 17/18 inch wheels.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2015 at 2:31AM
Spent all day Friday and all day Saturday in the rain working on this car. Set up a folding canopy to work under, but still had to lay on wet surfaces. By the way, NEVER buy a canopy at Big Lots. Garbage and it collapsed with me under it, smashed my finger, so now it is a mangled mess of fabric and metal.

Anyhow, I now have the 9 inch installed with new brakes, new springs and new shocks, the front has new brakes, new lines, new springs, and new shocks. Removed the A/C box to make room for the 460. I am going to fabricate a new box so that I can keep the heat down in summer and have a working heater in winter.

Springs. Fronts are substantially shorter than the original 302 springs and much higher rate. I cut 1/2 coil off them to get it down a bit, but am anxious to see how low it is once everything is installed. Happy with them so far. Rears are substantially thicker and higher rate then the originals and the rear end is sitting up high. Not happy with that and if it does not settle once the drivetrain is installed, I'll have to swap them out. I'm after a lowered look, and this does not work.

Shocks. Went with CVPI Gabriels all around. Like their performance and at $33, not a budget-breaker at all.

Brakes. Duralast Golds all around, low dusting, lifetime warranty, stop well. I use them on all my vehicles with good results and they don't chew up rotors.

Going to detail the entire frame and engine compartment before the drivetrain goes in, so it will look nice on the inner parts.

Here's some quick pictures. Rear shocks were Travways (how long has it been since anyone has seen these!) and still worked. Fronts were some department store brand and were frozen solid.

Amazingly, this once forgotten car is going to get a new life.

Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2015 at 3:28AM
Great news Joe!  So, which one will you have ready by Louisville?!
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2015 at 3:32AM
I'm hedging my bets this year. Trying to have it and the red wagon done. Worst case scenario...the brown wagon. Ugh.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2015 at 6:11AM
At least you are detailing it. I got so fed up trying to flare the front line yesterday I gave up on cleaning the engine bay.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2015 at 6:18AM
Ilyes, believe me, I got fed up with the rear end. Swapped out the 8 inch for a '75 9 inch. Figured I'd be smart to leave the brake lines attached to the car and remove everything from the 8 inch to attach to the new 9 inch. Lines fit fine, but the diverter valve plate that attaches to the chunk is different from the 8 inch. Also, 1972 emergency brake setups are radically different from a 1975. Still have to address that issue.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2015 at 2:01AM
Installing a Bronco II steering box this week, detailing it all out, bleed the brakes and then proceed with installing the front clip. When the car fell, it did puncture the fuel tank, so I'll have one of my spares boiled out, sealed, and install it to eliminate debris issues.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 1:31AM
Worked on the car from 5 a.m. Saturday morning until 9:30 p.m. Saturday night in the solid rain non-stop to get it ready for the trip to get it's drivetrain installation. It just never quit raining the entire time.

This was at 10:00 a.m. after 5 hours of work:

Shot of the rear rubber:

...and this is Sunday morning on it's way to Allan's house. Jeff and I went on a full day of adventure taking this car to Allan's and then picking up Jeff's new ride, then turn right around and drive back home. Big thanks to Jeff for all his help!

This is a temporary front clip installed so that Allan can drive the car back here. Once back, I'll disassemble it, paint everything underneath, and re-assemble with the correct parts. I'm really excited about this car being back on the road.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 1:33AM
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 2:52AM
glad to see you working on a project joe! sucks about the weather, but it's been exactly the same here the past two weekends, non-stop rain Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic