The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plain Brown Wrapper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2017 at 1:56PM
i added phenolic spacers on most of my cars yes it helped with some that were boiling over, the cranking issue is when they sit more than a week...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2017 at 1:08PM
The car rarely runs over 165 degrees. I have a 160 degree thermostat, aluminum radiator, etc. Mechanical gauge. I can sit in traffic for an hour, shut it off and it will fire up instantly in 1 minute, 5 minutes or 3 hours - no difference. It is not flooding, as there is zero gas in the carb or the line. I would agree with it boiling out, except no odor, no flooding (actually never floods), no leaks, and no vapor trail. If it sits overnight, I can stand over the carb, work the linkage and no gas squirting in the carb. Also I can pull off the fuel line from the pump to carb and it is empty. As mentioned, it did not do this until we did some mods to the engine - which should not have made any difference. I may try a different carb to see what happens, if I can find one.

It just disappears.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2017 at 5:12PM
" Running a Carter 650 (Edelbrock clone). "

haha the Carter is the real deal from the 50's?  Edelbrock is the clone

maybe try pulling the carb off & setting it on the bench. set it nice & flat on a coffee can or something & check it every few until you see where the fuel is making it's way out the bottom

quadrajets are famous for a squashed plug in the main body hidden sandwiched by the base plate. common rebuild fix is to epoxy over the plug. the rebuild kit even has a diaper for the known leak

could be the old school carb has a manufacturing process that's been updated in the new renditions?

BTW those original Carters have become desirable, hard to find & possibly valuable for the right carb number 

Edited by Rockatansky - 19-December-2017 at 5:14PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2017 at 4:15AM
I appreciate it! I'll try that first, then move on to another test. Thanks for the info on the carb and that 5 bolt 289.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2017 at 1:43PM
I haven't had a chance to comment on this, but I agree with Rock about the fuel bowl leaking somewhere.  My first thought was of the leaking Q-Jet plugs, as I have had this problem on some of my previously owned cars. 
I have also read that modern gas is much more prone to evaporation, especially if it's an ethanol blend.  According to Ray Bohacz, it's common for cars with carbs to have their gas evaporate if left sitting for any period of time.  He says that modern gas is made for cars with closed systems, so evaporation isn't an issue for most cars.  I do notice with my car, if it sits for two or three days it starts up quickly.  But if it sits say a week or more, I have to crank it more to get the fuel back into the carb.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2017 at 1:45AM
That may well be the issue. Still have to figure out why it drains the fuel line from the pump to carb, and possibly even further. I drove it yesterday and have to move it today, so I might video how it starts. Thanks guys.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2017 at 1:54PM
Look for a pinhole leak on the suction part of the fuel line (between the tank and the pump) and make sure you have the proper gas cap. (vented vs. unvented)
if you deleted the vapor canister and sealed it's line, you may need a vented cap.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2017 at 3:14PM

Took the '72 out all day today. Went to Home Depot, Lowes, ran errands, got kerosene, etc. All with no heater, but a toboggan, layers of clothes, a jolly attitude and I was grinning the whole time.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2017 at 6:27PM
 Clap sweet!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2017 at 1:19AM
Nice! It's-20 here today so even if my Torino had a motor I wouldn't be driving it.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2017 at 2:18AM
I enjoyed it. It was 25 degrees outside, but no ice, so I was good to go. This is such a good car to drive, I really want to get the cold start issue resolved.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2018 at 6:38AM
EFI Joe, it works wonders. I've been driving a few times to work in the last couple weeks. Starting without any issues, on the first crank, in 10-15F. Mind you too my car only pulls 4.5" of vacuum at idle, so imagine how much better it would be on a stockish engine. The only issues are no wipers, no heater and plenty of rust holes to keep me cool while moving at anything over 5 mph.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2018 at 2:03PM
I do have that Holley 4 pot efi setup with a controller. Just have to figure out how to rig it all up.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2018 at 6:51PM
" rig it all up" see that's why i'm old school , bolt it on...couple hose clamps...and a jesus clip or two and your done!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic