The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > How-To Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Points AND Duraspark ignition systems info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 1:17AM
John, when you added your tach/sports cluster did you have the wiring harness to go with it?  I have a standard gauge dash, but have a sports cluster on the shelf to put in.  How difficult was it to swap out?   I have seen the thread on this site, but would like to hear it from someone that did it..
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2015 at 5:19AM
I love my PerTronix  Pointless distributor conversion . I dont no why anyone would leave the dual points set up . Have had it in for over a year and starts right up even after sitting for weeks . 

1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2015 at 8:14AM
Originally posted by bdaugette bdaugette wrote:

John, when you added your tach/sports cluster did you have the wiring harness to go with it?  I have a standard gauge dash, but have a sports cluster on the shelf to put in.  How difficult was it to swap out?   I have seen the thread on this site, but would like to hear it from someone that did it..
no, i didn't get the extra harness(may not be a bad idea to have one) i had to swap 2 or 3 wires at the main connector at the dash, i'm pretty good at wiring so i just traced down the circuit and hard wired it all up. i think i had to add wires to the tach and amp guage connector, the ones i swapped were the fuel sender/oil/water IIRC it was just a matter of changing positions in the connector, and you need to change the oil and water sending units for a "gauge" not a "light" that you probably have in the motor now. if you trace down the circuits on the PC on the cluster look at the studs/nuts for the 3 gauges find the circuit that shares all the same connection that will be the (+) side of each gauge, the other stud on each gauge will be the individual circuit to the appropriate sending unit which is (-) have both clusters side by side and follow each circuit and make a note of it for both clusters and see if you need to swap any wires
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2015 at 1:27AM
Thanks!  Sounds like something I can do.

Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2015 at 12:14PM
combining this info from the Duraspark thread to here so that it is all consolidated...
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Quoted so I can move it to a new thread by itself.

Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

I could never figure out why there is a connection (the white wire) to the other side of the solenoid for an electronic ignition. Factory wiring is the same way. Not sure what the difference is (for electronic, not for points for which the reason is obvious), considering that aftermarket systems don't use that.

Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

This keeps the current in the box only 12v at crank, and not at all times.

Originally posted by green 72 green 72 wrote:

The white wire is not absolutely necessary. It's function is to energize the "retard while starting" function of the Duraspark box. It retards the spark so the engine cranks easier so you can run more initial advance. Not real sure on exact number of degrees ,but I think it retards timing 10 degrees when power is put to the white wire.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2015 at 6:08PM
I need some wiring or real world help...

Lola is a 1976 and Goldi is a 1972.
The 400 from Lola is going in to Goldi.
Lola has a Ford factory ignition system, non points.
Goldi would have had a points distributor, she has almost ZERO wiring left under the hood.

When putting the new motor in Lola I am eliminating the Ford Duraspark stuff and already have a 1 wire aftermarket distributor.

Is it as simple as taking all the wiring from Lola and the duraspark with all the connections from Lola over to Goldi? I mean what wires do I have to connect to the factory Duraspark set up from Lola?

ANY info or experience anyone has had with this... PLEASE feel free to post a how-to, pics or links to help.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2016 at 7:56PM
Alright y'all... I am back knee deep in the custom dash for Lola!

I know she will not start with the dash out(tach not in it).

I am already using an aftermarket HEI distributor that pulls power from the red power wire that used to feed the duraspark.
I THINK I can just jump the tach connector to feed power through to the distributor?
Essentially just jumping the coil feed bypassing the tach?

Another reason I am looking for the actual wiring diagrams for a 76

Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic