The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Surge's 73 GTS 351 CJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Surge's 73 GTS 351 CJ
    Posted: 10-May-2017 at 1:09PM
Well after years of searching, I finally found a fastback GTS that was both close and that I could afford. 

Found this car on Facebook Marketplace, talked to the seller, and struck a great deal. Best part is that he was only 2 hrs away. Grabbed the flatbed from work, and picked it up this past weekend. 

It's a 73 GTS, 351 CJ/C6 car. Car runs strong, and seller claimed that the motor was redone 8k miles ago. The car had been painted....quite a strange shade of blue. It looks good overall, but the clear is peeling off the roof and trunk, and there are some spots here and there of rust through. Overall, a very solid car though. Interior definitely needs some love. The good part is that the dash is unmolested of any modification and still even has the original radio. The back seat is in nice shape. The bad is the usual stuff... dash pad is junk, headliner gone, door panels and armrests are crappy, front bench seat is shot. Under the hood, everything is still there, with the exception of the original air cleaner (grrr) and the original 4300D spreadbore carb (which was junk). 

I ordered a Marti report for the car before I even took possession. My heart sank a little when I saw the original color.....Blue Glow... and someone painted over it :(. In addition to the paint color, the car was also ordered with P/S, A/C, Magnum 500s, RWL tires, AM/FM stereo, and an electric clock. You'll notice the car was not ordered with power brakes.... which I still find very odd. 

Here's a pic when I got her home. Those original 14" Magnums just have to go....

Unfortunately the Cougar has to be sold to pay back the money borrowed to buy the torino. But not before I swapped the 15"s from the Cougar over to the Torino ;)

That's muuuuch better. :D  Just need to get some center caps. 

A gander in the trunk, showed me the original Magnum spare, with original Goodyear Polyglass tire! 

So the immediate plans are to just make sure she's mechanically sound and reliable. Since the Ranchero has the same exact interior (and was also originally Blue Glow paint), I am going to swap the bench seat and door panels from it into the Torino since they are in nice shape. The Ranchero isn't going to be stock, so I can just redo the crappy parts from the Torino for use in the Ranchero. 

Edited by Power Surge - 18-June-2017 at 1:50PM
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 2:51PM
Wow, nice score!  Great looking car,
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 3:24PM
Looks great!! Good luck with it
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 6:43PM
Clap not a bad color blue, but it don't do much on that car thoughConfused blue glow would look better
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 11:30PM
I like that color very much personally! Although it is too bad about the original paint. Might be a goal to have both the Ranchero and the Torino in Blue Glow at some point! Big smile
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2017 at 12:46AM
VERY nice!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2017 at 1:38AM
Originally posted by Torino_Chris Torino_Chris wrote:

I like that color very much personally! Although it is too bad about the original paint. Might be a goal to have both the Ranchero and the Torino in Blue Glow at some point! Big smile

That is a very long term goal.... lol.  And both the GTS and Ranchero originally came with Laser Stripes and GT stripes.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2017 at 4:04AM
Great find and keep us posted! Wink
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2017 at 4:29AM
Awesome score!  Looking forward to your progress.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2017 at 9:27AM
Here's a rear shot of the car...

Had to replace the starter solenoid (was shooting out some good flames lol). Replaced the multiple adapters the previous owner used to make the Demon carb fit the original spreadbore intake with a one piece adapter, and plugged off the EGR port in the intake. Tuned the carb, and replaced the plugs. 

Also picked up a few ebay goodies. New window roller slides, an NOS GTS emblem (see below), and I found a 70s dealer plate frame from the original selling dealer. It was the only one on ebay!

I also did a restoration on the grille emblem. Polished the chrome, cleaned the argent part, repainted the black, and replaced the faded GTS badge. 

Before:

After:

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2017 at 1:37PM
lookin good, wonder what a laser stripe would look like on it.......................................
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2017 at 1:55PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

lookin good, wonder what a laser stripe would look like on it.......................................

I want to put laser stripes back on it, but it needs paint before that happens...
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2017 at 3:15PM
can't just spot and re-clear the roof, live wit hthat color a while or hot to trot for the blue glow? that blue glow is slick, so is gold glow too.
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2017 at 3:26PM
a painted on ghost kinda stripe might look cool for the mean time?

a darker Blue or shadowy color done so it's barely noticeable ... just thinkin
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2017 at 3:28PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

can't just spot and re-clear the roof, live wit hthat color a while or hot to trot for the blue glow? that blue glow is slick, so is gold glow too.

The color is growing on me, so it's not so much that. The body has a few spots where it's rusted through, so it's going to need some minor patch work. Then the issue of the clear. And there's a section where it looks like they didn't lay enough paint down. It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't done a complete color change....but every inch of the body was shot with this new color. So not sure what direction to go yet. But Laser Stripes are definitely going back on at some point....
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2017 at 6:27PM
that color is different, but it looks good on that car Wink the darker shadowy faded stripe painted on would look good on that color Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2017 at 3:27AM
my 72 Q code / 4spd  Sportsroof came with manual brakes, was there some mis-trust of power brakes at that point?
that car's gone but the manual brake firewall adapter is going in my 72 Ranchero
along with a manual steering box, manual windows too

next thing you know cars'll be driving themselves Wacko
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2017 at 12:02PM
Did a little work on the GTS today. Set the points dwell, checked the base timing, found that the points plate was not rotating smoothly with the vac advance and binding (this is a brand new distributor). I pulled the dist apart, polished the friction area, lubed it up, and set the shim tolerance. Nice and smooth now. 

Next I fixed the main door windows. Replaced the plastic rollers on both sides, and cleaned and re-lubed the slides and regulators. On the driver's side, I found the plastic guides for the regulator were broken, which was also making the window rock back and forth. I grabbed the slides out of the Ranchero to replace them, and now both windows work great. I also swapped the door panels over from the Ranchero, as both cars have the identical interior and the Ranchero's panels were in nicer shape. While I had the panels off, I also pulled the pass side lock out, as it did not turn with the key. Pulled it apart, and modified the tumblers to fit with the main key. Works perfect now. 

Was going to swap the bench seat out of the Ranchero too, but ran out of time. I'll do that this week some time. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2017 at 4:08AM
Been an interesting week with the GTS. The car had been running ok. No issues, but it really felt sluggish, especially for a 351 CJ. On the way home from work Wed, it started cutting out, and then died. I coasted into a parking lot. It wouldn't restart. The gas gauge showed a 1/4 tank, and I had no idea if this gauge was correct yet, as I just got this car. I had a buddy come up with some gas, and put it in. And trust me, that's not an easy job when the fill neck is under and behind the 73 bumper! That didn't make any difference, so we checked her for spark....nothing. I noticed the coil was really hot, so I suspected it may have gone bad. We shot down to auto parts and picked one up....nope. I then popped the dist cap and checked the points. Keep in mind here, this is a brand new replacement distributor that was just installed by the previous owner. It seemed as if the point gap had closed up and they weren't opening. I spent more time then I want to admit trying to adjust the points on the side of the road. I just couldn't get the car to fire. It did fire once for about 5 seconds, then died again. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the gap large enough when open, and still have the points close. It was like the peaks on the distributor cam were not tall enough (more on this to come). I then noticed the rubbing block on the points was melted, so we ran down and got a new set. Nope. Still could not get the points to both open and close. Oh, and not only that, but the distributor was loose and moving around (double WTF). 

At that point (no pun intended), I called it quits after 4 hours of trying and had her towed home. I ordered a Pertronix Ignitor and let her sit until it came two days later. So Saturday morning I get up to installed the Pertronix. I swap out the points for the new pickup coil. I go to slip the magnet ring over the points cam..... WTF? Not even close to fitting. Way too loose. I could actually spin it around freely. Something was definitely not right with that points cam. I wound up using a thin strip of aluminum tape to build up the cam thickness until the magnet ring fit nice and snug. Then of course the rotor was too tall, since it was an aftermarket rotor, and I had to shave the bottom down by the amount the magnet ring added to the top of the points cam. 

But, after all that....she fired right up! I tightened down the dist bolt where it was, and took her to work to set the timing. While I was there, I changed out the fuel filter, replaced the blown out pass side exhaust manifold gasket, replaced the broken speedo cable, sealed up the spare that was leaking to the rim, and pulled off the trunk emblem and the horn pad assembly for restoring. 

Left the shop and headed home....and now she runs good! 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2017 at 4:21AM
 ShockedShockedShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic