The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Surge's 73 GTS 351 CJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2017 at 10:03AM
I think it was Ernest Hemingway who said " Cars suck!!!"     Wink
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2017 at 10:48AM
As all this is going on. ....You say to yourself. ..This is fun!!!    NOT.

Edited by 72GTS351CJ - 21-May-2017 at 10:48AM
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2017 at 11:23AM
Sounds alot like the problem I had last summer. That is really frustrating.
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1972 GTS "The Gray Ghost"
1967 Ford Fairlane 500

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2017 at 2:44PM
What a story, but glad you figured it out.  Did you figure out why the cam block was undersized?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2017 at 2:25PM
Restored the trunk emblem/plate....

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 4:23PM
Did a little more on the GTS. Obviously restored the trunk emblem/plate. I also replaced the worn out driver's side window regulator. Replaced the broken hood cable. Replaced a burned out headlight bulb. New belts. Fixed the worn out wiper linkage. Checked the rear end fluid. 

Tried to see if the A/C works. Holds freon, but the compressor isn't moving anything. I'll probably rebuild it, and then replace the other parts of the system along with it. That will be in future though. 

The car also started breaking up under 2000 rpm. Not like before though. Started out of the blue and was pretty consistent. Well, turns out one of the two wires coming off the Pertronix inside the cap, got sucked between the pickup and the magnetic ring. That pushed the pickup away from the ring which caused poor pickup signal. I rerouted the wires so that wouldn't happen again. 

I also found two vacuum lines off the back of the intake that were just laying there open. That explained why the car felt lean and sluggish. Capped those off, readjusted the idle mixture, and the car runs really nice now. 

She's getting there, little by little.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 4:26PM
that's a lot of little stuff, little things make a big difference Thumbs Up
72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 6:39PM
Excellent!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 3:26AM
Thanks guys. Poor Ranchero has become a donor car..... well, just for now ;)
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2017 at 1:50PM
Another update on the GTS....

Restored the steering wheel. Replaced the cracked windshield. New turn signal lever. New quarter glass seals. New window crank handles. Installed 19t speedo gear for proper speedo reading. Replaced junky rear speakers installed by previous owner. Swapped out original AM/FM radio (was barely working) for an original AM/FM/8 track unit. Replaced leaking P/S pressure hose. 

I also pulled the wiper motor apart to try to fix the no parking and not turning off at the bottom of the windshield issues. I cleaned up the relay contacts and strips on the inside of the cover best I could, but the ends of the strips were pretty burned. It worked at first once I put it all together, but then went back to not working properly. Luckily, I found an NOS motor cover online, so we'll see if that does the trick. 

Steering wheel BEFORE. Main pad was black. Horn pad was standard wheel style, and just hot glued to the main pad...

Steering wheel AFTER. Replaced horn pad with proper deluxe style insert and pad. Wood grain insert taken from the Ranchero. Horn button and cover are reproduction new. All parts colored to proper original Medium Blue. Outer wheel wrapped with old school Superior blue sport cover. New turn signal lever can been seen as well. :)

Original AM/FM radio, barely functional....

Replacement original AM/FM/8 track player with almost perfect knobs...

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2017 at 2:36PM
nice! Big smile those horn pads are available repop???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2017 at 2:42PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

nice! Big smile those horn pads are available repop???

The insert part that goes over the actual horn switch is, not the big rear main pad. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2017 at 2:47PM
ahh! i didn't think so dude's ask me all the time for good pads and wheels everything i find looks like your old one Cry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2017 at 2:49PM
Nice work as always!  I can't believe how beat up your original wheel was!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2017 at 3:06PM
I found a lot of information while trying to restore this wheel. We had a big post going about it on the GTS.org facebook page.

Apparently, both the main pads, and the horn pads, are very prone to shrinking. In my case, the wood grain trim panel didn't fit into the relief in the main pad. I assumed it was because it was a standard wheel pad and it must be different. I then spent a week looking at used pads from standard and deluxe wheels, and comparing part numbers. They use the same pad. Other deluxe wheel owners confirmed poor insert fit from shrinkage. The horn pad part also didn't fit the wood grain, even though it was from the same original wheel. That's why I got the repro. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2017 at 2:46PM
I've been thinking about for a little while now....and I think that I'm going to do the Coyote swap into the Torino now instead of the Ranchero. I'll still use the Ranchero for now to mock everything up (drivetrain, suspension, electronics, etc), and I'll still finish the underhood resto stuff I am in the middle of on the 351CJ and keep driving the Torino. Then once the swap stuff is all done, it will be an easy swap over. But I think I'm going to modernize the Torino, while still keeping the interior and body original looking with a few special touches. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic