The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Power Surge's 73 GTS Resto / Coyote 5.0 project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Surge's 73 GTS Resto / Coyote 5.0 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Surge's 73 GTS Resto / Coyote 5.0 project
    Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:14AM
I'm going to start a completely new thread for this build, for two reasons. First, because of the jackholes at Photobucket's new policy of no image linking unless you buy their $400 a year p500 membership. Because of this new policy, millions of images all over the internet are now dead links, including all the ones I've posted in my other build threads. And secondly, because I have decided not to build the Ranchero, but rather put the Coyote into the GTS instead. Since I've already starting the conversion using the Ranchero, I will keep using the Ranchero for mock up until the swap is ready to go into the Torino. 

I'll be cut and pasting my text from the other threads to here, and reinserting the images now hosted on the imgbb hosting site. Progress for the both the Torino build/resto an the Coyote swap progress will now be in this one thread. Now onto hours of cut and paste.....

Edited by Power Surge - 14-September-2017 at 3:43PM
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:25AM
5-10-17

Well after years of searching, I finally found a fastback GTS that was both close and that I could afford. 

Found this car on Facebook Marketplace, talked to the seller, and struck a great deal. Best part is that he was only 2 hrs away. Grabbed the flatbed from work, and picked it up. 

It's a 73 GTS, 351 CJ/C6 car. Car runs strong, and seller claimed that the motor was redone 8k miles ago. The car had been painted....quite a strange shade of blue. It looks good overall, but the clear is peeling off the roof and trunk, and there are some spots here and there of rust through. Overall, a very solid car though. Interior definitely needs some love. The good part is that the dash is unmolested of any modification and still even has the original radio. The back seat is in nice shape. The bad is the usual stuff... dash pad is junk, headliner gone, door panels and armrests are crappy, front bench seat is shot. Under the hood, everything is still there, with the exception of the original air cleaner (grrr) and the original 4300D spreadbore carb. 

I ordered a Marti report for the car before I even took possession. My heart sank a little when I saw the original color.....Blue Glow... and someone painted over it :(. In addition to the paint color, the car was also ordered with P/S, A/C, Magnum 500s, RWL tires, AM/FM stereo, and an electric clock. You'll notice the car was not ordered with power brakes.... which I still find very odd. 

Here's a pic when I got her home. Those original 14" Magnums just have to go....

Unfortunately the Cougar has to be sold to pay back the money borrowed to buy the torino. But not before I swapped the 15"s from the Cougar over to the Torino ;)

That's muuuuch better. :D  Just need to get some center caps. 

A gander in the trunk, showed me the original Magnum spare, with original Goodyear Polyglass tire! 

Edited by Power Surge - 23-July-2017 at 10:40AM
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:27AM
Shocked you're giving up on the ranchero?Cry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:30AM
5-13-17 

Picked up a few ebay goodies. New window roller slides, an NOS GTS emblem (see below), and I found a 70s dealer plate frame from the original selling dealer. It was the only one on ebay!

I also did a restoration on the grille emblem. Polished the chrome, cleaned the argent part, repainted the black, and replaced the faded GTS badge. 

Before:

After:

Edited by Power Surge - 23-July-2017 at 10:40AM
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:32AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Shocked you're giving up on the ranchero?Cry

I'm not sure what I'm doing with it yet. I just realized that I don't need to be building two different cars, when the GTS is what I really wanted all along. Plus I'm pulling a lot of parts off the Ranchero for the GTS. So for now, it's up in the air. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:35AM
5-14-17

Did a little work on the GTS today. Set the points dwell, checked the base timing, found that the points plate was not rotating smoothly with the vac advance and binding (this is a brand new distributor). I pulled the dist apart, polished the friction area, lubed it up, and set the shim tolerance. Nice and smooth now. 

Next I fixed the main door windows. Replaced the plastic rollers on both sides, and cleaned and re-lubed the slides and regulators. On the driver's side, I found the plastic guides for the regulator were broken, which was also making the window rock back and forth. I grabbed the slides out of the Ranchero to replace them, and now both windows work great. I also swapped the door panels over from the Ranchero, as both cars have the identical interior and the Ranchero's panels were in nicer shape. While I had the panels off, I also pulled the pass side lock out, as it did not turn with the key. Pulled it apart, and modified the tumblers to fit with the main key. Works perfect now. 

Edited by Power Surge - 23-July-2017 at 10:39AM
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:38AM
5-21-17

Been an interesting week with the GTS. The car had been running ok. No issues, but it really felt sluggish, especially for a 351 CJ. On the way home from work Wed, it started cutting out, and then died. I coasted into a parking lot. It wouldn't restart. The gas gauge showed a 1/4 tank, and I had no idea if this gauge was correct yet, as I just got this car. I had a buddy come up with some gas, and put it in. And trust me, that's not an easy job when the fill neck is under and behind the 73 bumper! That didn't make any difference, so we checked her for spark....nothing. I noticed the coil was really hot, so I suspected it may have gone bad. We shot down to auto parts and picked one up....nope. I then popped the dist cap and checked the points. Keep in mind here, this is a brand new replacement distributor that was just installed by the previous owner. It seemed as if the point gap had closed up and they weren't opening. I spent more time then I want to admit trying to adjust the points on the side of the road. I just couldn't get the car to fire. It did fire once for about 5 seconds, then died again. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the gap large enough when open, and still have the points close. It was like the peaks on the distributor cam were not tall enough (more on this to come). I then noticed the rubbing block on the points was melted, so we ran down and got a new set. Nope. Still could not get the points to both open and close. Oh, and not only that, but the distributor was loose and moving around (double WTF). 

At that point (no pun intended), I called it quits after 4 hours of trying and had her towed home. I ordered a Pertronix Ignitor and let her sit until it came two days later. So Saturday morning I get up to installed the Pertronix. I swap out the points for the new pickup coil. I go to slip the magnet ring over the points cam..... WTF? Not even close to fitting. Way too loose. I could actually spin it around freely. Something was definitely not right with that points cam. I wound up using a thin strip of aluminum tape to build up the cam thickness until the magnet ring fit nice and snug. Then of course the rotor was too tall, since it was an aftermarket rotor, and I had to shave the bottom down by the amount the magnet ring added to the top of the points cam. 

But, after all that....she fired right up! I tightened down the dist bolt where it was, and took her to work to set the timing. While I was there, I changed out the fuel filter, replaced the blown out pass side exhaust manifold gasket, replaced the broken speedo cable, sealed up the spare that was leaking to the rim, and pulled off the trunk emblem and the horn pad assembly for restoring. 

Left the shop and headed home....and now she runs good! 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:44AM
5-24-17

Restored the trunk emblem/plate....

Before...

After...

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 10:57AM
5-28-17

Did a little more on the GTS. Obviously restored the trunk emblem/plate. I also replaced the worn out driver's side window regulator. Replaced the broken hood cable. Replaced a burned out headlight bulb. New belts. Fixed the worn out wiper linkage. Checked the rear end fluid. 

Tried to see if the A/C works. Holds freon, but the compressor isn't moving anything. I'll probably rebuild it, and then replace the other parts of the system along with it. That will be in future though. 

The car also started breaking up under 2000 rpm. Not like before though. Started out of the blue and was pretty consistent. Well, turns out one of the two wires coming off the Pertronix inside the cap, got sucked between the pickup and the magnetic ring. That pushed the pickup away from the ring which caused poor pickup signal. I rerouted the wires so that wouldn't happen again. 

I also found two vacuum lines off the back of the intake that were just laying there open. That explained why the car felt lean and sluggish. Capped those off, readjusted the idle mixture, and the car runs really nice now. 

She's getting there, little by little.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:05AM
6-18-17

Another update on the GTS....

Restored the steering wheel. Replaced the cracked windshield. New turn signal lever. New quarter glass seals. New window crank handles. Installed 19t speedo gear for proper speedo reading. Replaced junky rear speakers installed by previous owner. Swapped out original AM/FM radio (was barely working) for an original AM/FM/8 track unit. Replaced leaking P/S pressure hose. 

I also pulled the wiper motor apart to try to fix the no parking and not turning off at the bottom of the windshield issues. I cleaned up the relay contacts and strips on the inside of the cover best I could, but the ends of the strips were pretty burned. It worked at first once I put it all together, but then went back to not working properly. Luckily, I found an NOS motor cover online, so we'll see if that does the trick. 

Steering wheel BEFORE. Main pad was black. Horn pad was standard wheel style, and just hot glued to the main pad...

Steering wheel AFTER. Replaced horn pad with proper deluxe style insert and pad. Wood grain insert taken from the Ranchero. Horn button and cover are reproduction new. All parts colored to proper original Medium Blue. Outer wheel wrapped with old school Superior blue sport cover. New turn signal lever can been seen as well. :)

Original AM/FM radio, barely functional....

Replacement original AM/FM/8 track player with almost perfect knobs...

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:21AM
Ok, here's the Coyote swap/Ranchero posts moved over from that thread...

12-26-16

So I was planning to put this drivetrain into a different vehicle, but decided to sell of that car and put this into the Ranchero. It's a Coyote 5.0 motor, and a TCI Streetfighter C4 (with some upgrades), and a Performance Automatic bellhousing. 

I'll post pics of the progress as I work on it. Big smile

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:25AM
12-27-16

Got the PCM today.... will be sending it off to my buddy to disable the PATS. Just collecting parts right now.

12-31-16

scored a TCI 10.5" 2800 stall converter for $150. Should work well with this setup. Smile

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:30AM
1-1-17

Some good progress today Got the old warhorse out of there. Then it was time to see how the new setup was going to fit. I pulled the oil pan off, since it wasn't going to fit with the rear sump. I will slice it at the rail, and flip it around and reweld it to solve that issue. But I was curious to get it off the motor so I could see if the truck 5.0 had oil squirters, as that seems to be a big online debate. And mine does have them.

Then it was time to mock up the fit and mounting. Interestingly, the stock 351M mounts fit flat up against the 45* angle of the motor, and dropping the 5.0 onto them actually put it in a good place. The bolt holes didn't line up with the block of course, but a simple plate could solve that. Then I decided noticed that the stock frame has two big holes under where the stock mounts bolt up. That's how 96-04 4.6 mounts attach, of which I had a set. Bolted them to the block, and then was amazed that they drop right into the factory holes in the frame like it was meant to be.... :)

I'm going to space the engine up about an inch from there, since I have tons of room to go up, and that will give me a little more room for custom headers. 

With the 96-04 mounts, the trans mount on the C4 is about an inch away from the stock crossmember holes (with the crossmember in the forward frame holes), so that's an easy fix. 

This is how she sits in the car right now. As I said, I'm going to space the motor up about an inch from where it sits in these pics...

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:36AM
1-2-17

Little more progress on the 3 day weekend before I have to push it back outside lol.

Got the oil pan fabbed up. Sliced an inch from the rail, flipped around, and rewelded. I gotta say.... I have done modular pan flips before on 4.6 and 5.4 conversions, and this 5.0 pan was a total PITA. The other pans are just rectangular all the way around....just slice, flip, reweld. But the coyote pan is stamped with ribs all the way around, and of course when you flip it, the ribs no longer line up. So quite a bit of metal working to make it all line up for welding. Also, the coyote pan has a big drop hump in it that was hitting the frame crossmember. I had to section that hump out and weld in a filler panel.

Honestly, if I had to do this again, I'd just pony up the $400 for the Canton coyote front sump pan, and do the minor modifications to it to make it fit. 

Here's the filler section added in:

The pan filpped around,  rewelded and back on the motor for fitment:

And a shot of the motor raised an inch and with the intake on:

I've got a set of energy suspension motor mounts and trans mount coming, so I'll be able to set my final engine/trans placement once I have the actual mounts I'm using.

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:45AM
1-7-17

Got the new Energy Suspension engine mounts on, with 1" spacers. I had to elongate the holes in frame so the studs could drop down into them (which is exactly how the frame is on the car these mounts are originally used on). Also had to drill a hole for the locating nubs on the mounts to drop into...

New mounts installed with 1" spacers. This actually raised the motor up even more than wound up needing, so I may cut the spacers down to 1/2" and drop it a little. Tons of oil pan clearance. 

Got the Little Shop custom upper control arms installed (well, pass side right now). Very nice pieces for sure. Installed the proper Energy Suspension bushings, and had to use my old balls joints for mock up since the new ones haven't come yet. Once the pass side control arm was installed, it was time to try the stock Mustang GT tubular header.....and it bolted right up :).  Only thing I need to do is shave down the tip of the idler arm bolt in the frame next to the header. The extra portion that sticks out past the nut just barely touches the header.

And here's a shot showing the motor in place and the Little Shop control arm installed....

Going to work on the driver's side tomorrow. Doubt I'll get as lucky with the header on that side with the steering box there, but you never know lol.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:51AM
1-15-17

Alright.. some decent progress this weekend. Got the driver's side header done, and got the transmission mounting done. Also got a donor 72 GTS hood for the future frakenhood. 

The driver's side header....  As expected, the rear section interfered with the steering box. Originally I thought flattening the side a bit would solve that, but the flange was clocked in a way that hit the nut on the pitman arm, and even with the flange cut off the collector portion still hit the box. 

The stock 15+ Mustang headers are Tri-Y style. So I cut the rear Y section off, changed it's angle, and welded it back together. Now it sits closer to the engine and away from the steering box. I also changed the clocking of the exhaust pipe flange so that it was not in the way of anything.

After that, tackled the trans mount. With the placement of the Coyote and the short C4, the mount wound up right on the forward edge of the trans crossmember, even with it move to the forward frame holes. So I sectioned a piece out of the front edge of the crossmemeber, and then welded on a new platform for the new Energy Suspension mount to attach to. The new section I used is actually the metal frame portion of the old separated original mount. 

Installed in the car with the mount attached...

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:57AM
1-22-17

Not a ton of physical progress this weekend, but got a bunch of parts ordered. 

I did weld and redrill the flexplate for the 10.5 converter. 

I got the engine/trans midplate, the transmission harness (needed because it has the O2 circuits in it), the new ball joints, and the PCM back from modding for PATS delete. 

I ordered up a set of O2s, radiator support bushings, KYB monotube front shocks, Moog 80090 springs (that will have 1 full coil cut off), and some big 14" brakes and 4 piston calipers. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 11:58AM
2-22-17

Haven't gotten a chance to do any physical work on the 73, but I've been busy collecting the needed parts for the build! 

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 12:00PM
Ok......post updating is done....everything from this point forward (7-23-17) is current updates. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2017 at 12:48PM
Ok, back to some current updates....

I finally got my wipers sorted out. I had two separate issues. The first was the common worn out wiper linkage. I tried the shifter bushing trick, but it really didn't work. It was an improvement, but still left a lot of slack. I checked the linkage on the Ranchero....and it was perfect. So cleaned it up and swapped it over to the Torino. 

The other issue was the other common no parking problem. Reading up on it, it seems the common issue is in the electrics of the park relay system. So I pulled the plate off my motor and attempted to clean up all the contacts. One end of one contact was burned up though. So I searched around and found an NOS relay plate kit online. 

While the motor was apart, I also cleaned it up and restored it. I did notice, that the end cap of the motor with the brushes inside it, actually has no bearing or bushing to support that end of the motor armature. I found that kind of odd, but that's how they are built. If you look at how the bushes were worn, you could actually see a dual wear pattern from where the motor spins forward, and reverse for park. I decided to whip up a bronze bushing to support the end of the armature that fits in the end cap. No idea if it will make any difference, but I feel better with it that way, lol.

Here is the restored motor with NOS relay plate...

At one point, I finally figured out my parking problem.....  long story short, my windlatch mechanism was broken and not working properly. It was not catching, to pull the linkage down to park the wipers. Once again, I searched online and found an NOS windlatch replacement kit....

While everything was apart, I also cleaned up the cowl area, and repainted the cowl vents and wiper arms.

Also got myself a set of NOS wiper blade inserts, so that I can use the original style wipers again. They just came today.

Got a few nice used parts from CalJohnny as well. Replacement horn, which I blasted and refinished...

And a nice replacement washer tank, which I cleaned up and installed a new motor....

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic